• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

Canada customs and import descriptions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Switched

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2010
Dartmouth, NS Canada
Your kidding right?
Wish I was :( When I started vaping back in WWII, dang wrong time stamp :facepalm: Uh Feb 2010, certain conversations simply did not take place. We PMd each other and got the required answers.

Every quarter we go through the same ooplah, and in all honesty as time progresses it seems to only get worse.

Like someone posted have your orders shipped through X and Y etc... guess what those holes are now fenced in.

Good example, even after commenting we shouldn't be discussing these matters in the open, folks still post how to circumvent the ban. Back in the day of the green, many would be pushing daisies. Just something to think about.

Cokeybill

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 24, 2011
True North(Ont.)
As if customs doesn't already know and I suppose they have certain vendors on a list. The thing that gets the delay at customs is usually the vendors name on the package. I have a post about vendors using a name not resembling vaping, ecig, etc. That would make the whole problem less enticing for customs.

randomlight

Verified Member
Jun 24, 2011
canada
Wish I was :( When I started vaping back in WWII, dang wrong time stamp :facepalm: Uh Feb 2010, certain conversations simply did not take place. We PMd each other and got the required answers.

Every quarter we go through the same ooplah, and in all honesty as time progresses it seems to only get worse.

Like someone posted have your orders shipped through X and Y etc... guess what those holes are now fenced in.

Good example, even after commenting we shouldn't be discussing these matters in the open, folks still post how to circumvent the ban. Back in the day of the green, many would be pushing daisies. Just something to think about.

OK this is my thread, I think the question is valid and I intend to continue as long as people are interested in talking about it. I am not interested in your parinoid concern, nor am I going to pm every person on the forum (how silly). Please show some respect and bow out of my thread if you don`t agree.

randomlight

Verified Member
Jun 24, 2011
canada
I've ordered hardware from HealthCabin and they labeled it as "Toy Gift." Can't get more ambiguous than that. Hell I'd be surprised if "Electronic Parts" aroused suspicion.

Actually, I had a shipment that was held by DHL one time, They are also the broker and I had a talk with the person who is in charge of supplying customs with the description of contents and info long before the package reaches them. This person had notified customs that my order contained electronic cigarette related material as described on the waybill and told me I must go and clear it myself but said I shouldn`t get my hopes up. The broker with DHl said that being ambiguous about the contents can also cause problems. Clearly being creative with the description is important to ensure best results.

northhar

ECF Veteran
Apr 18, 2011
CanTheBan
my :2c:

This is a warning to all who participate in this thread DO YOUR HOMEWORK..

First a definition:

Smuggling is the illegal transport of goods, especially across borderlines. Smuggling is engaged in to avoid taxation or to obtain goods which are prohibited in a certain region. Items that are often involved in smuggling include alcohol, tobacco, illegal drugs, arms, and even immigrants.

Then the Law:

Customs Act (R.S.C., 1985, c. 1 (2nd Supp.))

Smuggling

159. Every person commits an offence who smuggles or attempts to smuggle into Canada, whether clandestinely or not, any goods subject to duties, or any goods the importation of which is prohibited, controlled or regulated by or pursuant to this or any other Act of Parliament.

And last but not least the penalty:

General offence and punishment

160. (1) Every person who contravenes section 11, 12, 13, 15 or 16, subsection 20(1), section 31 or 40, subsection 43(2), 95(1) or (3), 103(3) or 107(2) or section 153, 155, 156 or 159.1 or commits an offence under section 159 or knowingly contravenes an order referred to in subsection 107(11)

(a) is guilty of an offence punishable on summary conviction and liable to a fine of not more than fifty thousand dollars or to imprisonment for a term not exceeding six months or to both that fine and that imprisonment; or

(b) is guilty of an indictable offence and liable to a fine of not more than five hundred thousand dollars or to imprisonment for a term not exceeding five years or to both that fine and that imprisonment.

Meanwhile carry on, living on the edge can be exhilarating..:2c:

randomlight

Verified Member
Jun 24, 2011
canada
my :2c:

This is a warning to all who participate in this thread DO YOUR HOMEWORK..

First a definition:

Smuggling is the illegal transport of goods, especially across borderlines. Smuggling is engaged in to avoid taxation or to obtain goods which are prohibited in a certain region. Items that are often involved in smuggling include alcohol, tobacco, illegal drugs, arms, and even immigrants.

Then the Law:

Customs Act (R.S.C., 1985, c. 1 (2nd Supp.))

Smuggling

159. Every person commits an offence who smuggles or attempts to smuggle into Canada, whether clandestinely or not, any goods subject to duties, or any goods the importation of which is prohibited, controlled or regulated by or pursuant to this or any other Act of Parliament.

And last but not least the penalty:

General offence and punishment

160. (1) Every person who contravenes section 11, 12, 13, 15 or 16, subsection 20(1), section 31 or 40, subsection 43(2), 95(1) or (3), 103(3) or 107(2) or section 153, 155, 156 or 159.1 or commits an offence under section 159 or knowingly contravenes an order referred to in subsection 107(11)

(a) is guilty of an offence punishable on summary conviction and liable to a fine of not more than fifty thousand dollars or to imprisonment for a term not exceeding six months or to both that fine and that imprisonment; or

(b) is guilty of an indictable offence and liable to a fine of not more than five hundred thousand dollars or to imprisonment for a term not exceeding five years or to both that fine and that imprisonment.

Meanwhile carry on, living on the edge can be exhilarating..:2c:

So what are you vaping? surely nothing smuggled god forbid? I am now going to drop this thread. I can not believe All the self rightious, paranoid ,know it all stuff I`ve had to put up with here.First "we shouldn`t discuss describing our orders as toys cause customs canada will rip open every package that says toys and find our ecigs" lol, and now a lecture about smuggling from a guy who is puffing on a banned substance as he writes. This is pathetic I`m out of here.

Last edited:

Switched

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2010
Dartmouth, NS Canada
OK this is my thread, I think the question is valid and I intend to continue as long as people are interested in talking about it. I am not interested in your parinoid concern, nor am I going to pm every person on the forum (how silly). Please show some respect and bow out of my thread if you don`t agree.
It is not about agreeing or disagreeing, it is about facts folks don't want to hear and I am not paranoid. 1 package RTS in 22m is a pretty good batting avg.

This is a forum with a variety of opinions, if you can't take it, don't participate. A false declaration from a US vendor on a custom's declaration is $4K fine per incident. That is pretty insignificant when we look at it that way. If the individual gets caught 100 times = $400,000 - that is someones home. Please remember the vendor is doing someone a favour, not the other way around. Many vendors no longer ship to Canada any more. I know of several cases where the individual got pissy at the vendor because they had to pay duty on their package (not in Canada mind you), or a packaged refused at the border because the contents didn't match the CD, or no invoice was inside the package (read a requirement).

So you may not like what you see/hear, but that is prohibition my good man, and until the laws change in Canada, get used use to it!

Last edited:

VapoX

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 12, 2011
Canada
This thread is ridiculous. If you order out of country you take a chance that customs will reject your order ..... simples. Regardless of how it is declared you take a chance and it can happen at any time. I just ordered from the UK and my package has been at customs for almost 4 days ....meh, I took a chance and probably lost. Life goes on. Save yourself the bull.... hassle and let the vendors deal with customs. From now on I support Canadian vendors only .....ehh?

Nikkita6

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 7, 2011
New York
Seems to be a lot of posts regarding importing hardware into Canada right now. I guess the bottom line is that we are taking our chances with ecigs and parts now, just like before with ejuice.
So if we try to import ecigs and are honest with customs about our package containing electronic cigarettes we are very likely to lose them.
I would like to know what ideas people have for describing the contens so as not to draw attention to the fact that the package contains ecigs. Obviously if we are unlucky and the order is opened we probably lose it regardeless of the description because
it contains ecigs right? Any imput would be appreciated

For my last two shipments from the US I requested that the technical name for each item be used to complete the Customs declaration form, with no mention of "e-cigarette", for example my last order was listed as " 4 pc automatic batteries, 2pc atomizer ".... and I have not had any issues with customs when the vendor adheres to my request.

And take it from someone who has had a large order previously seized by customs ;-) .... just request that technical names and descriptions be used with no mention of ecig, although I must say that this probably works best for purchasing "parts", and I guess a starter kit could also be declared piece by piece using technical names if the vendor is willing to do that.

I don't recommend attempting juice purchases, although therealcmac has had success with "aroma therapy sample"! ... that was a good one.... Good Luck!

kanadiankat

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Oct 14, 2010
Alberta, Canada
www.electrovapors.com
Best one I ever used was "sensual massage oil"

Honestly - it doesn't matter what you mark for customs - if it's opened and there is liquid it will be sent back and if it's a small order of hardware - a 50/50 chance that it will get through.

Things such as "essence" or "oils" may be checked more often because there are trade agreements on some essential oils where they can only be imported in small, approved quantities.

Most of it depends on the day and time and agent and boxing and luck and hope and, and, and.

Probably the only thing you don't want on the declaration is: "unauthorized electronic cigarettes and nicotine eliquid".... lol...

Switched

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2010
Dartmouth, NS Canada
Honestly - it doesn't matter what you mark for customs - if it's opened and there is liquid it will be sent back and if it's a small order of hardware - a 50/50 chance that it will get through.

Things such as "essence" or "oils" may be checked more often because there are trade agreements on some essential oils where they can only be imported in small, approved quantities.

Most of it depends on the day and time and agent and boxing and luck and hope and, and, and.

Probably the only thing you don't want on the declaration is: "unauthorized electronic cigarettes and nicotine eliquid".... lol...
I LOL that...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread