Can you help? Who sings these OLD songs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ambeck22

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 26, 2012
Hello, everyone! I used to have a cassette tape full of old songs my dad recorded off records I chose. The records belonged to my grandfather and were from a jukebox when the American Legion would switch out; one song on each side. I'll never see them again and I lost the tape a good while back :(. I've googled extensively and can't find these songs because they aren't the right version I had or I don't know who performed them. I've found a few, but while the words are right, it's just not what was on my tape. So, I thought I would ask here. This will be from memory, so I might mess the few lyrics up a bit if I remember any at all :blink:.

1. Letter to Daddy. Okay, I found this one on Google, but Jim Ed Brown is definitely not the one I had. Anyone else do this?
(They brought me a letter from my little girl my sweet little baby with long golden curls
The address was printed with crayon of red a letter to daddy and here's what it said...)

2. Big Black Bug Boogie. My bf found this as well by Warner Williams and Eddie Pennington, but again it's not what I had. At the end, he says, "Now, get on outta here you big black bug!"
(Hey, bartender, there's a big black bug in my beer. Hey, hey, barkeeper, there's a big black bug in my beer. One eye's red, the other eye's green, ugliest-looking bug that you ever seen. Hey, bartender, there's a big black bug in my beer.)

3. Carroll County Accident.
(Carroll County's pointed out as kinda square, the biggest thing that happens is the county fair. I guess that's why it seems like such a big event, what we all call the Carroll County accident...)

4. The Face on the Barroom Floor.
('Twas a balmy summer evening and a goodly crowd was there which *don't remember* filled Joe's barroom on the corner of the square, as songs and witty stories came through the open door, a vagabond crept slowly in and posed upon the floor. "Where did it come from?," someone said. "The wind has blown it in." "What does it want?," another cried, "some whiskey, rum, or gin?")

5. Barbara Allen.
(Don't remember how this goes, but something about the rose and the briar. A guy and a girl die and they are buried by each other.)

6. Rye Whiskey. I love this song, but I can only find Tex Ritter. In the duck part, he just doesn't sound drunk enough compared to the one I had.
(Jack o' Diamonds, Jack o' Diamonds and I know you of old, rob my poor pockets of silver and gold...If the ocean was whiskey *hiccup* and I was a duck. I'd diiiiiive to the bottom...and never come up. Now, the ocean ain't whiskey and I ain't a duck, I*something* Jack of Diamonds *something.*)

7. Marty Gray.
(Big Jimmy Baker and Marty Gray met at a teenage party. Jimmy took Marty to school the next day, both of them were tardy. Sitting in the parking lot talking over things, waitin' for the morning bell to ring, 2 little love birds loose on a wing, Jimmy Baker and Marty.)

8. Routine Patrol. I think my bf found the right one once, but my computer crashed and I lost it :(.
(...Wilson, Smith, Garrison, *Joe?*! Fifteen men on routine patrol. Five feet apart, in single file, we move out for mile on mile. It's too quiet, not a sound. Then hell breaks loose! All around! The name of the game is save your soul. Fourteen men on routine patrol.)

Poop, that's all I can remember from the tape, but I'm sure there were more than 8 songs on it :(. I thought this might be fun for some and bring back memories and would give me a place to start on versions I can't remember/find now.

Blargh23

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2012
Arizona, US
Carroll County Accident:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x8jJq4rBsZc
---
Big Black Bug Boogie - possibly Jim Dawson (aka Jimmy Dawson, The Dixie Drifter)?

I can't find it on the internet in a listenable form, though, only used vinyl (flip side was "Mean Woman Blues") -- there's two different recordings - 1966 and 1967.

And there being several musicians going by "Jim/James/Jimmy/Jimmie Dawson" isn't helping.
---
"Barbara Allen" is a folk song -- likely covered by any of a number of people.
Everly Brothers version:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Viam27KwJn0

Jerry Reed (1969):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxEK_6mHRZc

Last edited:

Blargh23

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2012
Arizona, US
Last edited:

ambeck22

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 26, 2012
Thank you! I ran into the same problems with looking online, but thought they must have been somewhat popular since they were in a jukebox at one point. That's definitely the Carroll County Accident I had. I've thought about buying the Black Bug Boogie vinyl since I can't find it, either. Marty Gray sounds right, too. I can't find Tex Williams singing Rye Whiskey, only Tex Ritter (he does all right). Listened to Smoke, Smoke, Smoke that Cigarette, though :). I love that song. Barbara Allen just has SO many versions! :p Thank you for your time and research.

Blargh23

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2012
Arizona, US
Thank you! I ran into the same problems with looking online, but thought they must have been somewhat popular since they were in a jukebox at one point. That's definitely the Carroll County Accident I had. I've thought about buying the Black Bug Boogie vinyl since I can't find it, either. Marty Gray sounds right, too. I can't find Tex Williams singing Rye Whiskey, only Tex Ritter (he does all right). Listened to Smoke, Smoke, Smoke that Cigarette, though :). I love that song. Barbara Allen just has SO many versions! :p Thank you for your time and research.

Oops, that was confusion on my part. It *was* Tex Ritter for Rye Whiskey.

Blargh23

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2012
Arizona, US
Last edited:

ambeck22

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 26, 2012
Okay, last one: There is "Letter to Daddy" by Sheb Wooley on 45 (B side is "Draggin' the River), but I have no idea if its the same song.

{edit to add -- found a brief sample, the lyrics seem to match}

Sample was here:
A Letter To Daddy - Sheb Wooley on Pandora Internet Radio - Listen Free

THAT'S IT!! THAT'S IT!! Oh, thank you SO much :D. That is my favorite song on that tape and I could never find "The One." I would have never guessed Sheb Wooley even though I've heard plenty from him and as Ben Colder. You have really made my day!!

Routine Patrol is right on the money, too. Hank Snow is the correct Barroom Floor as well.

You rock so much and have helped bring a part of my childhood back. Thank you.

Blargh23

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2012
Arizona, US
THAT'S IT!! THAT'S IT!! Oh, thank you SO much :D. That is my favorite song on that tape and I could never find "The One." I would have never guessed Sheb Wooley even though I've heard plenty from him and as Ben Colder. You have really made my day!!

Routine Patrol is right on the money, too. Hank Snow is the correct Barroom Floor as well.

You rock so much and have helped bring a part of my childhood back. Thank you.

It was a fun excuse to use my Google-Fu. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread