Can people really be allergic to second hand Vape?

Status
Not open for further replies.

minisheila

Mar 26, 2012
Texas
Hi all,
I'm new to vaping. I started about three weeks ago. I love it. I running a LavaTube with a LR carto tank. I'm struggling giving up that first cig in the morning and the last one at night. I was doing okay enough with it until my roommate started griping that she thinks she's allergic to the second hand vape. I loved being able to vape in the house and feel like it was keeping me some what sane coming off the analogs. I told her I quit vaping in the house, and only vaped when she wasn't in the room, but it looks like she really might be allergic to the second hand vape. She just has major reconstructive ear surgery so I don't want to do anything to put her in harms way. Apparently it makes her cough and she was getting very sick from it. Even when she wasn't in the same room. She says vaporizers do the same thing to her. While I don't want her to be sick from it, I am more than mildly irritated with her "allergy" to say the least; especially since it's my house, my husband has no problem with me vaping in the house, and she doesn't pay rent (long story)...
So have you heard anything about people being allergic to second hand vape?

DM

Sir Vapes A Lot
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 17, 2011
Where I usually am
Hi and welcome to ECF!:) good for you dumping the stinkies!:p

Sorry, I never heard of second hand vape... "but" I guess it's possible it could be irritating to some. Once you have a total of 5 post, you can surf ECF! I would check out this area of the forums to see if someone here can answer that for you.
Look here...Health, Safety and E-Smoking

Good luck to you and see ya on the threads:)

gurunade

ECF Veteran
Feb 22, 2012
NorCal
I'd like to be able to answer your question but alas, I don't know.

However, you have someone who you graciously let stay in your home rent free, telling you what you can and cannot do, or at the very least, making you feel uncomfortable with what you do in your own home.

Tricky situation and I could see anyone being annoyed with your dilemma.

sailorman

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 5, 2010
Podunk, FLA
Some people can be allergic to PG. But an allergy so severe that secondhand vapor causes a big problem is exceedingly rare. PG is in thousands of different items and if you look around, it is in many, many products in your house. Toothpaste, cosmetics, food, etc. Some people have an intolerance to it, but the symptoms are mild and they can tolerates a certain exposure. I have problems vaping more than 30% P.V., but they are mild, mostly sore throat and sinus irritation. Under 30% and I have no problem with it.

She could be allergic to a flavoring in the juice. It's a long shot, but try a different flavor.

Almost nobody is allergic to V.G. V.G, and P.G for that matter, are fats. Some people are allergic to virtually everything. Those people don't just pop up out of nowhere and suddenly complain about a secondhand vapor allergy. They're allergic to candles, colognes, soaps, any artificial color or scent or oil. Is she generally allergic to a lot of things like colognes and other cosmetics? Air fresheners?

Some people have psychosomatic symptoms.

rse1

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2012
Aloha, OR USA (near portland)
Minisheila, Hi and welcome to the ECF.
This is a tricky situation and I empathize with your situation.

You don't mention what ejuice you're using, and that could be highly relevant. Although it could be a PG allergic realtion, as other responders said it is unlikely to be isolated to just vapor. Some manufacturers add capsicum (hot pepper oil) to their juices to create a bigger throat hit and some people are highly sensitive to those oils. Other manufacturers use alcohol based flavorants. Most manufacturers are reluctant to disclose their complete flavor formulas, so it can be difficult to determine every component of an ejuice. As sailorman said, you could try switching juices (and manufacturers) to see if you could find one that doesn't affect her.
Good luck and best wishes.

Njt07

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 6, 2011
Ft Hood TX
This was also suggested to another vapor with roommate issues. Try just using unflavored pg and then unflavored vg. If she reacts, or doesn't, then it may be the flavor you are using. What juice are you using? Could it be something else? Cat, dog, dust, new construction in the area could be kicking up pollen since its the beginning of spring.

Last edited:

dragonbone

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 21, 2009
Somewhere
Hi all,
I'm new to vaping. I started about three weeks ago. I love it. I running a LavaTube with a LR carto tank. I'm struggling giving up that first cig in the morning and the last one at night. I was doing okay enough with it until my roommate started griping that she thinks she's allergic to the second hand vape. I loved being able to vape in the house and feel like it was keeping me some what sane coming off the analogs. I told her I quit vaping in the house, and only vaped when she wasn't in the room, but it looks like she really might be allergic to the second hand vape. She just has major reconstructive ear surgery so I don't want to do anything to put her in harms way. Apparently it makes her cough and she was getting very sick from it. Even when she wasn't in the same room. She says vaporizers do the same thing to her. While I don't want her to be sick from it, I am more than mildly irritated with her "allergy" to say the least; especially since it's my house, my husband has no problem with me vaping in the house, and she doesn't pay rent (long story)...
So have you heard anything about people being allergic to second hand vape?
Of course there is a lot we don't know... BUT.... WOW! That sounds EXTREMELY unlikely to me - like 0.0001% . I mean come-on, how can harmless vapor in another room affect someone. If she is so sensitive to the air, she belongs in hospital. Cosmetic surgery recovery is irritating and painful and that is probably the problem right there, nothing whatsever to do with your vaping. Oh and the other day I was reading a thread here, forgot which one - where people with exotic house birds were saying how their birds (like parrots etc.) have no problems with vaping. Apparently birds are extremely sensitive to cigarette smoke and air borne stuff - because of their feathers (or something)...

Just my 2 cents...

Last edited:

liveone

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 22, 2012
Los Angeles
You say that vaporizers do the same thing to her. It seems odd that something as innocuous and healthy as raising the humidity of a living space could trigger adverse reactions from your roomy. Apparently there's more going on than just your vaping. It's easy to vilify the guy exhaling plumes of mist but she may eventually find the true cause of her troubles.

tinajfreeman

ECF Veteran
Apr 27, 2010
Jacksonville, FL
OK, if she says she is allergic to a vaporizer, with nothing in it, but a household vaporizer, she is saying she is allergic to steam. Water vapor. The woman is telling you she is allergic to WATER.

That's pure BS. Does she shower? Lots of water vapor in the shower? Does she take hot baths? Lots of steam in hot baths. Does she drink hot coffee or tea? Lots of steam coming from those. Does she have to run from the kitchen if someone is boiling something.

This is just pure weirdness.

zonezilla

Mar 19, 2012
maryland, usa
yes when you exhale the vapor its still contains some of what it did when it was in your lungs and a lot of people are allergic to pg so if she has a pg allergy it would defiantly bother her however unless shes in the same room the vapor would dissipate before it reaches her so if you smoke it when shes not in the room and it still bothers her it sounds like something thats in her head and not real

ctourtelot

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 3, 2009
Richmond, VA
I would say it's not likely a PG allergy especially if she just had surgery. Many hospitals pump PG through their air systems to decrease the amount of airborn bacteria. She might be allergic to a particular flavoring so I would go with some of the above suggestions of trial and error.

My daughter has asthma and my vaping doesn't bother her. We also have a bird in the house who hasn't been affected by the vapor.

My daughter's doctor said that this is one of the worst pollen seasons they've seen in awhile and that it is causing problems with people who don't normally have allergies so it may just be a coincidence.

X P3 Flight Engineer

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 27, 2012
Moncton, N.B. Canada
With 7+ billion people on the planet it would be hard to imagine that not one of them would be affected by the residuals from vaping, especially since most of us are not told what all is added in our liquids.

The basic ingredients are harmless to most people, not all people. Some people are super sensitive or allergic to things they may not even know. Experimentation is in order.

tinajfreeman

ECF Veteran
Apr 27, 2010
Jacksonville, FL
I understand people could actually be allergic to our vapor, which is not water vapor and has a scent...but this lady is claiming she is allergic to WATER VAPOR from a household humidifier. Don't you think that makes her whole argument a little bit suspicious? How can you be allergic to STEAM?

I think she's making it up. Just because claiming to be allergic to water vapor is ridiculous. If you were allergic to water, you would by definition be dead, since we are all made up of mostly water.

sailorman

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 5, 2010
Podunk, FLA
With 7+ billion people on the planet it would be hard to imagine that not one of them would be affected by the residuals from vaping, especially since most of us are not told what all is added in our liquids.

The basic ingredients are harmless to most people, not all people. Some people are super sensitive or allergic to things they may not even know. Experimentation is in order.

With the remote possibility that some particular ingredient in the OPs juice is an allergen, the odds are so close to nil she may as well be claiming to have found a winning lottery ticket in her Happy Meal.

With 7+ billion people on the planet, the chances that she is so allergic to PG that vaping in another room bothers her is about 1 in 7+ billion. Even people with known allergies to PV are only slightly bothered by direct contact with second hand vapor. People tend to be allergic to more than one thing at a time. Anyone with a severe allergy to something is almost always allergic to other things, even if they dont know it. But anyone that severley allergic to something like PG will have severe allergies to so many things they couldn't live a halfway normal life.

So, what else is she allergic to? Milk, wheat, artificial colors and flavors and perfumes, alcohol, chemical preservatives? I'd bet she tolerates those things just fine. Anyone claiming to be allergic to a household vaporizer has a mental issue, not an allergy.

Broklynite

Verified Member
Feb 14, 2012
New York
Maybe she is allergic to water? ;)

Personally, when I smoked, I always made it clear to my houseguests that I smoke in my own home. I would be polite and open the window tho. Now that I vape, I really stopped caring about the people that come over because I can't imagine there could be objections now.

Only a very very small amount of pg is used. When people say "it's just water vapor" they aren't far wrong. Pg is very hydrophilic, and water molecules stick to it readily. Most of the vapor you see? You see it because of the water sticking to the pg. this is also why vaping can dehydrate you a touch.

Keebler

Dec 18, 2009
Clearwater, FL
My wife sometimes gripes about the smell when i vape menthol (says cappuccino is overly sweet but OK). Not an allergic reaction as far as I can tell. If I vape while driving she only asks that I crack the window. If I vape in the other room she doesn't even know.
Some people seem to have automatic responses. I still see people fake coughing fits in public when they see the vapor that magically stop when I point out its not smoke.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread