Not open for further replies.

qorax

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 6, 2013
Brampton, Canada
www.facebook.com
I don't fully understand the mesh. Like there's little gaps between the coil and the mesh. I could see light through it. Wouldn't it kind of burn some juice (as opposed to just vaporizing) due to that? Know what I mean?

- Sent from my Note 5 via Tapatalk
It doesn't.
Juice remains within the wick - the entire steel mesh heats up and vaporizes the liquid from corner to corner. If you can build it well - and if the atty is conducive to a mesh build - this setup offers you a cleaner, no nonsense, nothing in between, taste.

And btw, you can always build mesh with traditional method, ie. wrap the coil around the mesh and then mount the whole thing together. That way there'd be no gaps between the coil & the steel. I do it the "Petar K" way... the way we build our cotton setups. And I have no issues.

Last edited:

stanleybb50

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 13, 2011
Pittsburgh
It doesn't.
Juice remains within the wick - the entire steel mesh heats up and vaporizes the liquid from corner to corner. If you can build it well - and if the atty is conducive to a mesh build - this setup offers you a cleaner, no nonsense, nothing in between, taste.

And btw, you can always build mesh with traditional method, ie. wrap the coil around the mesh and them mount the whole thing together. That way there'd be no gaps between the coil & the steel. I do it the "Petar K" way... the way we build our cotton setups. And I have no issues.
Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Gotcha. That makes sense. I'm gonna have to try this out. Any recommendations on the type of mesh? Like grades or anything like that?

You have my attention Sir. :)

And if I use cool gunkers (like NET's), I understand the dry burning, but should I give a quick rinse after dry burning to get that gunk off? I feel like NET's would still be a little gunked after dry burning even.

But for all other juices, this seems fabulous!

qorax

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 6, 2013
Brampton, Canada
www.facebook.com
Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Gotcha. That makes sense. I'm gonna have to try this out. Any recommendations on the type of mesh? Like grades or anything like that?

You have my attention Sir. :)

And if I use cool gunkers (like NET's), I understand the dry burning, but should I give a quick rinse after dry burning to get that gunk off? I feel like NET's would still be a little gunked after dry burning even.

But for all other juices, this seems fabulous!

I use 400 gauge. At max go 450 weave. No more.
And yes, sometimes I do rinse the whole thing too, after a dryburn. Usually after many tanks thru. Tobaccos and Fruit mixes go best in mesh. Deserts not so.

stanleybb50

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 13, 2011
Pittsburgh
I use 400 gauge. At max go 450 weave. No more.
And yes, sometimes I do rinse the whole thing too, after a dryburn. Usually after many tanks thru. Tobaccos and Fruit mixes go best in mesh. Deserts not so.
K I'll cancel my 500 order then. Haha.

Thanks!!

stanleybb50

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 13, 2011
Pittsburgh
Here we go:

https://squareup.com/market/houseofhybrids

Scroll down about half way. Both pre-oxidized and 6"x6" squares.

6b137c6fd54b0e455e676a95c9f0e73b.jpg

qorax

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 6, 2013
Brampton, Canada
www.facebook.com
Thanks, Q. Is there a particular mesh size and or grade of ss you use for the wick? Is mesh size dependent on pg/vg ratio?

Thanks again
It's a pleasure brother.

And for mesh remember, higher the # finer the weave ~ thus higher the difficulty for feeding (in our case). 500 gauge and higher is better avoided, 'coz it'd need 80% PG to wick smoothly. 400-450 is the norm. I prefer 400 gauge, seems just right to me.

stanleybb50

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 13, 2011
Pittsburgh
It's a pleasure brother.

And for mesh remember, higher the # finer the weave ~ thus higher the difficulty for feeding (in our case). 500 gauge and higher is better avoided, 'coz it'd need 80% PG to wick smoothly. 400-450 is the norm. I prefer 400 gauge, seems just right to me.
Yes - thanks Q! I read a bunch on this since you posted. I'll likely still try out the 500 too since it's coming.. (I also ordered the 400 of course)

Here's more links:

400 Stainless Steel Mesh - 101 Vape

Stainless Mesh 400 x 400/316L for rebuildable atomizers

qorax

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 6, 2013
Brampton, Canada
www.facebook.com

Saltwater

ECF Veteran
Apr 29, 2013
NC
Calix came in the mail today! Set it up with a 1.4 ohm spaced coil wrapped on a 2 5 mm screwdriver, 28 gauge kanthal. I used KGD cotton and put it in somewhat loose like Qorax vid. I'm running it at 9 watts and 3.5 volts. Flavor and vapor are not what they are in the videos I've seen. Vapor is really low and flavor is muted. Any tips for getting this thing going? It's my first build so I wasn't expecting it to be perfect yet. Using the indirect method. Not sure where the juice control needs to be for indirect either?

stanleybb50

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 13, 2011
Pittsburgh
Calix came in the mail today! Set it up with a 1.4 ohm spaced coil wrapped on a 2 5 mm screwdriver, 28 gauge kanthal. I used KGD cotton and put it in somewhat loose like Qorax vid. I'm running it at 9 watts and 3.5 volts. Flavor and vapor are not what they are in the videos I've seen. Vapor is really low and flavor is muted. Any tips for getting this thing going? It's my first build so I wasn't expecting it to be perfect yet. Using the indirect method. Not sure where the juice control needs to be for indirect either?
Juice control about 1/2 to 3/4 of one turn.

I personally didn't like the spaced coil for my style. It needed to high of watts. Like it had more of the wick that it needed to heat up in order to start creating vapor.

I like a micro coil. Like take what you already did and smash it. If you have ceramic tweezers, you can squeeze and heat. If not, then use regular tweezers. Like heat it to red and then LET OFF the fire button, then squeeze it til it cools.

I think you'll find that what you already have should treat you well if you just make it a micro coil. I'm a MTL vaper myself. Q is slightly higher and restricted lung draw. I think that's part of the difference personally.

You still might end up liking 10-11 watts even if you are MTL style. I think I'm close to around 15 and very satisfying. It'll do fine lower though too.

No worries. You'll get it and you'll love it!! Mine should arrive tomorrow!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread