Status
Not open for further replies.

Bill's Magic Vapor

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 8, 2013
USA
I think the evic gets a lot of press that is just plain inaccurate on both sides of the "debate." The evic has both unique strengths and unique weaknesses. By focusing on only one part of the debate, you can easily come to the conclusion that the evic is either the greatest thing since sliced bread, or the worst APV ever created. The truth actually lies somewhere in between. The evic has some definite pluses:

Pros

1. The display may be the best in the marketplace. A click of the button as you see the battery level graphically displayed, the resistance of the coil, the variable voltage setting, and the variable wattage. Other displays could learn from this display and the instant information in those areas can save you about 30 clicks on other APV's.

2. The menu system gives you more control than any other APV. You can control whether vv or vw, and even set preprogrammed vaping durations with different settings. You can select whether manual or automatic. You can set a puff counter. You can set various alarms, including temperature alarms (in either F/C). You can set how long the display screen or the device stays on. You can display the date and time, the puff counter, or the power and resistance to display on the screen. You can set the device to sleep, to stealth, to power off. You can add identification, such as your name to the device. Most of these settings are not available on other APV's.

3. Because the device has a usb connection, not only for charging, but also as an interface with your computer, you can upgrade the software, upload and download information, set several variable vaping sequence power programs, etc. Version 1.0 software was awful, but version 1.2 was a game changer. I know of no other device that has this capability.

4. Power is adjustable up or down with the turn of a ring on the device. You can round robin. You can auto scroll. Many prefer it to + and - buttons, and most APV's don't even have those. You can change the display by holding the ring hard left, or change the mode by holding it hard right. I have never heard of one breaking, though certainly any moving part can break.

5. The connection provides for both a 510 or an ego connection. The drip well will hold the very wide MT3s. Many APV's do not provide an ego connection including the Provari and the iTaste MPV. Sure you can get adapters, but they look stupid imho, and I've seen plenty of folks make fun of an evod atop a Provari on ECF.

6. It has variable power. Closer to set and forget than just variable voltage. Not perfect, but very helpful to the noob, and when changing heads frequently.

7. You can replace the standard silver tube with different colors, or even shorter tubes. The bOd by Leo and the Kir Fanis evic provide after market telescoping tubes, if you can find them. You can also find wraps for the evic, such as J-Wraps (eVic) allowing a great deal of personal customization.

8. The evic has a ohm meter which devices such as the iTaste MVP do not have, and certainly no ego/stick battery, other than the iTaste 3.0, can claim. While I have and can use a multimeter, I consider an ohm reader a minimum requirement for my APV's. Certainly all variable power APV's must have them.

9. While many people make fun of the puff counter, and opponents cite this feature as an unnecessary "bells and whistles" feature, one they use to poo-poo the evic, you don't have to use it, but I'd rather have it and not need it versus not have it, and some will find it useful, such as those that want to reduce their nicotine and vaping dependence, an admirable goal.

10. The evic is aluminum, so if you're looking for a light weight device, the evic fits the bill nicely. My wife, in particular, doesn't like my heavier Provari and prefers the weight of the evic. Personally, I'm the other way around. Give me stainless or give me death, a famous patriot once said, or something like that.

Anyway, there are many other features of the evic, but a top ten list seems more than enough for review and consideration purposes. If you only focus on the Pros, then one must conclude that this is one of the best APV's in the marketplace, perhaps the most feature rich and "best" APV out there. I used to think so. I have three evics. Was my favorite APV when I first started vaping, but not anymore.

Cons

1. Is there a more delicate APV out there? I don't think so. The eVic does not survive drops and the lead connections will often not survive them either. I have had to repair my three eVic's four times now. In the process, I've had to learn to solder, because they vendors won't repair them, and the local boys want about the price of a replacement head to fix them.

2. Until recently, the heads are press fitted poorly into the device. While I don't advocate putting APV's in a pocket, I did...and found the top came off and ripped out the lead wire connections, which I had to re-solder (see number one above).

3. The puff counter is useless to me. Don't use it, don't need it, don't want it, and one of the reasons a lot of other folks make fun about the eVic and it's so called, "bells and whistles."

4. Quality wise, it's on the light side with it's aluminum tubes. I like stainless steel. Heavy, durable, manly. While mine have held up fine, doesn't feel like quality device.

5. Until firmware 1.2 came out, I had to say that the software was not very good.

6. This is an expensive APV. About $100 retail, though you can find the kits for about $75 now.

7. A lot of people don't like the adjustment ring below the screen. Heard everything from difficult to use, to wobbly, to cheap, to it changes accidentally all the time. Personally, mine don't rattle and work fine, but I do make inadvertant adjustments. Wattage does adjust in .1 watt increments, though, and I should have mentioned this in the Pros section.

8. The eVic doesn't seem to like all batteries. Seems to work best with flat tops, but even then they seem to get "dented." Denting in any way on a battery is NOT GOOD. The batts are the most sensitive part of any APV and anything that might damage them is a very, very bad thing.

9. The cover on the usb connection does not function correctly. At first, fine. After a few times of lifting off this little cheap plastic cover, you cannot put the darn thing back in there. Maybe if I take 10 minutes of fiddling I can sometimes get it to go back, but not always. Maybe it's like a secret handshake or something, and I'm not initiated yet. I've had to tear all three of mine off, because it looks dumb just hanging there. Now I have an exposed usb connection. Not Good. Eventually, I'm going to get something foreign in there that my eVic is not going to like.

10. The menu is complicated. Yes, the functionality is awesome, but at the expense of complication. You cannot pick up an eVic and intuitively figure it out very easily. This thing has menus, submenus, submenus of submenus, etc. Why do I need to select Farenheit? For what alarm? Why? What would be a prudent setting? It's complicated as I say. Many hate the eVic for this reason. I learned it and got over it.

11. The usb interface is not that easy to use either. Plug in and then turn on Program, or the other way around? Try again. Which way? How? There's just a big learning curve here. Why does it ask my age? It gets worse.

If you just look at the Cons, maybe you come to the conclusion that the eVic is just junk. Personally, I like the concept and the potential of the eVic better than the actuality of the eVic. That being said, it has been in my rotation since the beginning, and there are just as many things to like, as not to like. It's all about personal preference and what you're willing to enjoy or put up with. To each their own. My two cents. Happy vaping, Power up and Vape On!

Last edited:

tjmax

Apr 12, 2013
US
Wow thats a lot of great information on the evic.

I have been vaping a while now. I was considering getting one of these but i was thinking the same thing you stated here. its an overpriced gadget with lots of unneeded bells and whistles. I had been reading a few folks saying they break easy and are expensive to fix.

I think it would be cool but maybe not 100 dollars cool.

Bill's Magic Vapor

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 8, 2013
USA
Wow thats a lot of great information on the evic.

I have been vaping a while now. I was considering getting one of these but i was thinking the same thing you stated here. its an overpriced gadget with lots of unneeded bells and whistles. I had been reading a few folks saying they break easy and are expensive to fix.

I think it would be cool but maybe not 100 dollars cool.

Yeah, it is what it is. Neither the greatest thing since sliced bread, nor the worst APV ever created. All about personal preference. Why we all like ECF, right? Anyway, just wanted to share my eVic story and help others decide if it's for them. Who knows? Best to you.

jward015

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 13, 2012
Charlotte
I've had my eVic for a few months now and I've had no problems with it. Some of the options aren't really necessary, but they're still cool to have. And you can't beat the fact that it can be updated just to make sure everything is running smoothly. I've dropped mine quite a few times on very hard surfaces, and it still holds up very nicely. I think you made a good call on this one.

MoonLit_Water

We All Shine On
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 16, 2013
Stuart, Florida
I've had my eVic for a few months now and I've had no problems with it. Some of the options aren't really necessary, but they're still cool to have. And you can't beat the fact that it can be updated just to make sure everything is running smoothly. I've dropped mine quite a few times on very hard surfaces, and it still holds up very nicely. I think you made a good call on this one.

I was gonna chime in on this thread with these same thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread