Burnt Taste with Vision Ego Clearomizer LR (stardust)

Status
Not open for further replies.

fiftydollarburrito

Verified Member
Apr 9, 2012
Baltimore, MD
I just purchased a few of the color Vision Ego Clearomizer LR from altsmoke here:

http://altsmoke.com/accessories/510...vision-ego-transparent-color-clearomizer.html

I've been using BOGE LR cartomizers with great success over the past month or so. Because of this, I got the LR clearomizers to try to get a similar hit and taste with a larger juice reservoir. Unfortunately, I'm getting slightly burnt taste from my clearomizer. I'm using 50/50 liquid at 0mg nic. The device is producing a good amount of smoke and using up liquid at a good rate. I vaped through an entire 1.6ml last night hoping that the taste would go away. No such luck so far.

Did I get a dud or is this something that will go away eventually?

wseyller

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 12, 2012
Hendersonville NC
I also recently got the same item from a different vendor. At first it was as expected. Now mine taste burnt a little. I did eventually use it on my Provari but I'm almost certain I had the voltage set to low. I could be wrong though and I wonder if I burned the wick this way. I am going to try and rebuild it. I purchased some wick and wire. I've taken it apart already and I will attach a picture. Keep in mind the camera makes my wick look whiter in color than it really is. But around the coil it is a little brown.

Only used about 2.5 ml total on this. Mountain 55 80pg/20vg

2012-04-19_08-25-32_18.jpg

GWG73

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 9, 2012
Florida
Based on my experience with these, I would say that you're possibly out vaping it. With a thicker 50/50 mix, you may be pulling air across the coil faster than it can wick. I might suggest slower draws, priming it (draw a little without power), or a looser mix. We are putting a 70/30 mix in now and having much better luck.

wseyller

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 12, 2012
Hendersonville NC
Based on my experience with these, I would say that you're possibly out vaping it. With a thicker 50/50 mix, you may be pulling air across the coil faster than it can wick. I might suggest slower draws, priming it (draw a little without power), or a looser mix. We are putting a 70/30 mix in now and having much better luck.

I would agree with this. Especially with the LR version you are burning juice quicker. I was first using mine on a kgo and then used it on my provari, which afterwards it started tasting bad. It is my only guess i put too stress on it than I thought. I recently read that these vision clearomizers can't handle too much wattage. Of course I will have enough wick and wire to rebuilt these many many times.

fiftydollarburrito

Verified Member
Apr 9, 2012
Baltimore, MD

OK. I have a lot of 50/50 liquid so I'm not going to change that anytime soon. I'll try slower draws but I think I've been keeping my draws pretty slow. A few questions then. Would the SR version of the ego vision be a better idea? What does priming the device do? Should I do this before or after I put liquid into it?

Thanks for all your help!

GWG73

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 9, 2012
Florida
Well, the act of drawing pulls the liquid along the wick, if there's liquid touching it (at least that's how I believe it works). If this is happening while the coil is burning, you're basically drawing liquid in while you're vaping. That's why I'm thinking you're out vaping it. The wick's not able to replace what you're burning fast enough. If you draw without power, you're pulling in liquid without burning it...kind of loading up the wick.

We use these on Ego batteries. I make a habit of tilting while I vape as needed to make sure that when I draw, the wick is always touching liquid. Doing this, I have personally never had a dry hit on a 50/50 mix (the wife gets them, but I don't). I think 50/50 is vapable on these if done right.

wseyller

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 12, 2012
Hendersonville NC
I don't have experience with 50/50 liquid as I only used 80/20. The SR version will burn as less wattage on your ego which should mean you use less liquid, but if then you are just using it more then you will still use possible the same amount of juice. The wick can't keep up supplying juice to the coil. The priming meant that you draw on it some without pressing the button. The idea is that this action would create a vacuum to draw more liquid from the wick to the coil. In the end though it could be that this product is not really good for you.

From vaporgod.com they have this note in their description:

*** It's very important to keep these clearomizers filled at least 1/3 to 1/2 way. The wicks are located near the top of the device. You want to keep those wicks wet. To prevent dry hits simply flip the device upside down every so often to completely soak the wicks.

*** Not recommended for really thick high VG content liquids.

Last edited:

Startle

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
NY, NY
I have had no success with these no matter what I've tried.

I have loosened the coils, rebuilt them completely, ect...

What it comes down to is they just won't wick properly to keep up with what I consider normal vape frequency and voltage.

I think the concept is great and cutting edge but clearly more work is needed to make this product a viable option for my arsenal.

I've come to these conclusions through much experimentation and spent considerable time trying to get them to work - I really wanted them to but they just don't seem to work properly for my style...

Vape On!

Startle

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
NY, NY
I think I'll try another one of these suckers tonight and see if I have any better luck. If everything is the same then I guess I'll just write it off as a failed experiment and look into getting some more PG heavy liquid for these suckers and try out a carto tank instead.

I predict that you will love tanks!

I use them exclusively with the exception of dripping just to try out new flavors.

Vape On!

wseyller

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 12, 2012
Hendersonville NC
I think I'll try another one of these suckers tonight and see if I have any better luck. If everything is the same then I guess I'll just write it off as a failed experiment and look into getting some more PG heavy liquid for these suckers and try out a carto tank instead.

It you start using carto tanks you have to be aware of the same issue. Although you have more options. The cartos inside the tank have one or more holes in them. You can buy them prepunched. With high vg content you would need more than one hole or at least larger holes. Some people even slot them with a dremel. You might look into getting a tool like the one I'll link below. I think you can find them at local hardware stores as they are used for hooking up ice makers in refridgerators.

Saddle Valve- Cartomizer Punch - $8.99 : Stormys Vapor Cellar, Electronic Cigarettes & More

tinajfreeman

ECF Veteran
Apr 27, 2010
Jacksonville, FL
Interesting...I have great luck with these and only dry hits if I let the wicks get dry. As long as I make sure the liquid is contacting the wick (requires tilting if it is below the wick), it works fine. And I use up to 100% vg! But I will thin the VG with a few drops of distilled water if it is really thick.

Startle

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
NY, NY
Jeez. I love everything about my LR BOGE's except that I'm always filling them up. They give such a juicy (I guess that's a good word) hit with no burning. If only I can find something that can last me somewhere close to all day of vaping I would be very happy. :(

The tank will do exactly that. It will keep the carto perfectly juiced up so you'll get consistent flavor and vape.

Most come with a pre-punched carto with 2 holes so you don't need to worry about that.

Personally my favorite are the Smoktech type - reasonably priced and always work great. I have a lot of them!

I actually get the 1.5ml 808 version from V4L and use an 808 to 510 adapter on my VV. Why do such a thing - because the 808 tanks stand up on a flat surface and the 510 do not due to the male end being on the carto. I also feel I get a slightly better draw using an adapter. That's my personal setup and works for me. You'll find yours soon enough - just keep trying different options until your satisfied...

Vape On!

Last edited:

inanitydefined

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2011
On a rock floating through space
I'm having the same problem. My LR Stardust can barely keep up on my ego. When I put it on my 3.5v riva its burnt in 2 hits. And for a guy used to dripping on a 1.5ohm atty the hit on these things is dismal. After all the talk I had high hopes for these things. Oh well, in the "to be sold" box they go. Maybe someday I'll find a carto that works for me

Foxman

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2012
Trussville al
I love these bad boys. I vape 50/50 exclusively on a 650 PT Ego and there awsome. Great TH and vapor. I can get a month out of one. I run about 4 refills(adding about half at a time) to keep it up and after 4 times I get it almost done and clean it. Then let it sit over night to dry. The one I use is the 2.1-2.4 version. THEY DON'T LIKJE High volts. I blew 2 new ones trying on 6V. I tilt mine ALWAYS when vaping. I hate yall are having this problem, but don't understand why.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread