Brand new coils taste burnt or don't taste at all?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DanL

Feb 18, 2014
NC
My tank setup with VV/VW battery has been lacking flavor and tasting burnt lately. I tried swapping the coils with ones I bought at the store. When that didn't work, I took one of the coils apart to see if there was something wrong with these particular ones that my local store sells. After finding nothing, I decided to completely gut some old ones and rewrap new coils with organic cotton and stainless steel mesh because people say it tastes better than silica, which is what my previous wicks were made of.

When I switched to stainless steel, the taste was very metallic, not for me (still couldn't taste the eliquid). I tried the cotton and while it doesn't taste burnt anymore, it has no taste at all. I tried my friend's plastic tank and even it tasted better than mine. I filled him up with my liquid so I know the liquid isn't the culprit, and I used my battery with his tank so that isn't the issue either.

My tank is pyrex with a chrome plated copper housing. I've used this tank for a couple months and it used to taste perfect, way better than any plastic one I had tried. I've tried boiling the tank to make sure there aren't any contaminants in it, but that didn't help either. Some have suggested it's just a case of vaper's tongue, but I don't think that is true because I can still taste it out of my friend's setup, which is the same setup I used to have and switched over from because it didn't taste as good as the pyrex.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated because I'm pretty puzzled.

DavidOck

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2013
Halfway to Paradise, WA
Could just be too high a power setting? Perhaps you've inadvertently changed it, or the control board is failing.

I'm not a fan of mesh, either :)

Cotton sometimes takes a while to come up to flavor, So that may be part of it.

The way you built your "new" heads may also be part of it.

As TM says, without specifics, it's hard to be more specific.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread