Got a question about dual coils

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kgb424

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 29, 2014
Minden Nevada
Why is it when I try to setup my RDA's, using dual coils, I get a burnt or stainless steel taste, and one coil is always a little bit brighter than the other, and its a pain in the ..., to get them to fire evenly, and the coils are at the same height, and have the same distant from the posts, I do not use tweezers and heat the coils, I used to, now I heat up the coils and adjust them on the ATT on my mech mod. If I use a single coil it doesn't taste burnt or like stainless steel. So its got to be the coils and how they fire and there brightness

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Why is it when I try to setup my RDA's, using dual coils, I get a burnt or stainless steel taste, and one coil is always a little bit brighter than the other, and its a pain in the ..., to get them to fire evenly, and the coils are at the same height, and have the same distant from the posts, I do not use tweezers and heat the coils, I used to, now I heat up the coils and adjust them on the ATT on my mech mod. If I use a single coil it doesn't taste burnt or like stainless steel. So its got to be the coils and how they fire and there brightness

You haven't given us much information to go on Kgb424. Like Steve said, if one coil is brighter than the other with no wick in them you've very likely got different resistance in those two coils. IMO, this is not the problem though and if it's just a small difference it won't noticeably affect your vape either.

The only time I ever get metallic flavor is when I've set up with stainless steel mesh wick and have a bit of clearance between the wick and the coils. It's never happened with silica or cotton.

Burnt juice is caused by too much power for your available air flow, the wire you're using is too thin for the power you're applying, the wick you're using doesn't wick fast enough or a combination of these. Hope this helps you troubleshoot the issue.

DavidOck

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2013
Halfway to Paradise, WA
Dual coils MUST be matched. Otherwise the bulk of the current goes to the low Ω one. So you might have one firing at 4 watts and the other at 40.

Well, maybe that's gross exaggeration, but that's the concept. If they don't light up simultaneously and equally, they won't vape properly.

Since you've provided no info on what they are, but have good results with single coils, maybe just stay with singles.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread