BP's New Inhaler

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm just guessing, but I suspect the idea behind the pyruvic acid is to "jump start" the nicotine absorption process. I would imagine that the combustion of tobacco is what accounts for the rapid absorption rate of cigarette smoke and using pyruvic acid likely mimics that process.

I think e-cigarettes "satisfy" because they reduce the urge to smoke by mimicking the physical activity long enough for you to slowly absorb the nicotine. This would explain why the first cigarette of the day is the hardest to give up as it provides the initial dose quickly, and why many vapers use the e-cig as a pacifier early on and eventually use it less frequently once they have found the level of nicotine that makes them comfortable.

laverty

Jan 5, 2010
tri-states, mi
New Nicotine Inhaler May Help Smokers Quit
Vapor Puffs From New device Carry Nicotine Deep into Lung
By Daniel J. DeNoon
WebMD Health News
Reviewed by Louise Chang, MD

March 1, 2010 -- A new type of smoke-free inhaler gives would-be quitters a vapor with nearly as much nicotine as a cigarette.

Nicotine replacement is one of the most effective tools for helping smokers quit, says Jed Rose, PhD, director of the Duke Center for Nicotine and Smoking Cessation Research.

"There is the patch, gum, lozenges, and the current inhaler. But none effectively satisfy a smoker's craving for the act of inhaling and feeling nicotine going into the lungs and giving that rapid boost of nicotine into the bloodstream in a user-friendly way," Rose tells WebMD.

The problem is that cigarettes are still the most efficient nicotine-delivery device ever created, says Scott McIntosh, PhD, associated director of the smoking research program at the University of Rochester, N.Y., who was not involved in the Rose project.

"It would be great to have a product that would deliver nicotine as well as a cigarette," McIntosh tells WebMD.

That's exactly what Rose's and colleagues -- including James E. Turner, co-inventor of the older Nicotrol/Nicorette inhaler -- set out to invent.

The device they came up with does not use fire or heat. Instead, as the smoker draws air through the cigarette-shaped device, a chemical called pyruvic acid is drawn into contact with nicotine, creating a cloud of nicotine pyruvate vapor.

As pyruvic acid is a naturally occurring chemical that's part of the metabolism of every cell in the body, Rose says it does not add toxicity to nicotine. In this regard, the device is very unlike a cigarette, which delivers tars and a number of other cancer-causing substances along with nicotine.

But would smokers use it? In the device's first test, Rose and colleagues tried it on nine healthy smokers who had refrained from smoking overnight.

Note the Chantix ads so prominent with this article! I suspect this inhaler is the gateway for regulating PVs across the board...a killing shot?

sherid

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 25, 2008
USA
The drug companies are not concerned about health. They have only two motives: control the world and its powers through health scares and drug remedies, and MONEY. If they had any concern about health, Chantix would have been shelved at least a year ago. Instead, the ads are again full force on tv. I change the channel everytime one starts. As for this new inhaler, clearly the drug industry is going to try to enter the e cig industry.

laverty

Jan 5, 2010
tri-states, mi
Vapor Puffs From New Device Carry Nicotine Deep into Lung
By Daniel J. DeNoon
WebMD Health News
Reviewed by Louise Chang, MD

March 1, 2010 -- A new type of smoke-free inhaler gives would-be quitters a vapor with nearly as much nicotine as a cigarette.

Nicotine replacement is one of the most effective tools for helping smokers quit, says Jed Rose, PhD, director of the Duke Center for Nicotine and Smoking Cessation Research.

"There is the patch, gum, lozenges, and the current inhaler. But none effectively satisfy a smoker's craving for the act of inhaling and feeling nicotine going into the lungs and giving that rapid boost of nicotine into the bloodstream in a user-friendly way," Rose tells WebMD.

The problem is that cigarettes are still the most efficient nicotine-delivery device ever created, says Scott McIntosh, PhD, associated director of the smoking research program at the University of Rochester, N.Y., who was not involved in the Rose project.

"It would be great to have a product that would deliver nicotine as well as a cigarette," McIntosh tells WebMD.

That's exactly what Rose's and colleagues -- including James E. Turner, co-inventor of the older Nicotrol/Nicorette inhaler -- set out to invent.

The device they came up with does not use fire or heat. Instead, as the smoker draws air through the cigarette-shaped device, a chemical called pyruvic acid is drawn into contact with nicotine, creating a cloud of nicotine pyruvate vapor.

As pyruvic acid is a naturally occurring chemical that's part of the metabolism of every cell in the body, Rose says it does not add toxicity to nicotine. In this regard, the device is very unlike a cigarette, which delivers tars and a number of other cancer-causing substances along with nicotine.

But would smokers use it? In the device's first test, Rose and colleagues tried it on nine healthy smokers who had refrained from smoking overnight.

I'm just guessing, but I suspect the idea behind the pyruvic acid is to "jump start" the nicotine absorption process. I would imagine that the combustion of tobacco is what accounts for the rapid absorption rate of cigarette smoke and using pyruvic acid likely mimics that process.

I think e-cigarettes "satisfy" because they reduce the urge to smoke by mimicking the physical activity long enough for you to slowly absorb the nicotine. This would explain why the first cigarette of the day is the hardest to give up as it provides the initial dose quickly, and why many vapers use the e-cig as a pacifier early on and eventually use it less frequently once they have found the level of nicotine that makes them comfortable.

This is what makes this a likely killing shot, the 'jump start'...thank you!

Vicks Vap-oh-Yeah

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 9, 2009
West Allis, WI
www.emeraldvapers.com
undoubtedly, Pharma has had its sites set on PV's for a long time - they're just using the muscle of the FDA to clear their competition before they enter the marketplace.

Unfortunately, they'll ruin the industry. They'll come out with something idiot-proof (such as a sealed carto) with minimal nicotine inside it, make it taste horrible, and in short, make it just as inneffective as their other quit smoking offerings. Can't actually CURE the problem, after all...there's no money in a cure. There's money in the continuing treatments.

t9c

ECF Veteran
Jul 15, 2010
Houston
Unfortunately, they'll ruin the industry. They'll come out with something idiot-proof (such as a sealed carto) with minimal nicotine inside it, make it taste horrible, and in short, make it just as inneffective as their other quit smoking offerings. Can't actually CURE the problem, after all...there's no money in a cure. There's money in the continuing treatments.

I agree there's no money in the cure, but if it is ineffective, tastes bad and doesn't satisfy the buyer, then where's the money in that? This would only make more smokers switch to e-cigs.

They're just jumping on the e-cig bandwagon, shooting to kill.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread