Status
Not open for further replies.

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Williamsport Md
Actually what I have learned is, istick 50 watt clones were catching on fire. I could be mixe dup with the actual authentic versions. Listen I just want to vape without catching on fire. I hear mech mods unregulated devices can ignite just from your keys in your pockets touching them. I'm far from a Government official. When I see people's devices catching on fire it makes me think maybe it can happen to me. The vape community doesn't buy my ..... If i have an opinion and think something's unsafe I'm stating it. Vaping is great but I'm not drooling over it. Nor do I buy every .......n thing that comes out because honestly every mod that comes out looks the same as the last mod.

I understand your concerns...........and share in them. However I use Knowledge, not fear to drive my choices and safe practices.

I Have highlighted Misinformation in your post, which could be adding undue stress.

Keys do not and cannot make Metal Tubes explode.
Keys could possibly depress an unlocked Mods switch, allowing it to continuously fire.
Keys could Short out an unprotected battery carried in a pocket.

Understanding is 90% of the battle.

Did a little Digging on iStick 50 Fire.
Found 1 Youtube Video and a Crap load of Riddit Followers Slamming the iStick over it.
Not at all unlike the Fiasco over a Small Batch of Cloupor Mini 30w that had issues a while back.
I like to refer to this as Chicken little Syndrome.

There is and will always be a percentage of product failures in mass production. Something which has never changed and likely never will. They are the unpredictable minuscule few that get by QC before rearing their ugly head. While we would prefer none Explode or Catch fire, there is almost no way to make that guarantee with a Battery powered Electronic device of any type.

However, hearing about = passing along the Rumor
Looking into = Educating oneself on product Quality

Best of luck in your Vaping journey and Choices in life.

:cool:

Reactions: sawlight

k2zs

ECF Veteran
Mar 23, 2014
Rochester, NY
Mech mods don't explode or catch fire from keys in a pocket. Mech mods might go off if they are placed in a pocket and not locked, but it's not from keys in a pocket. I believe what you are referring to is batteries placed in a pocket without being put in a protective case. Keys, and loose change, WILL cause them to short and explode.
I'm sorry, but there is getting to be so much disinformation put out about mech mods right now it's getting tiresome. Mechs are as safe as anything out there, it's just a matter of how smart you are when you use them!
Again, I'm getting more fearful of multiple battery regulated mods starting to blow up, from lack of battery safety knowledge, than I am of mechs in the next year.
I absolutely agree with this!

To date there has only been one mod (that I know of) that could fire due to metal making contact between the atty body and the mod's case and that was the Cherry Bomber. While the maker defended their design, it was NOT a well thought out device.

The Cherry Bomber was/is a box mod that had it's case at ground potential (battery -) at all times and insulated it's 510 base from the case. The center 510 pin was in constant contact with the batteries positive post. Power was applied to the atty through a switch that completed the path from the case to the 510 base. Therefore, any metal shorting the atty's outside to the case caused the device to fire.

Every other mechanical device on the market isolates the batteries negative terminal from the case and completes that path when the switch is depressed. The only way one can auto fire is if the battery wrapper is missing or the device isn't locked while in a pocket.

bwh79

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 11, 2014
Oregon
Listen I just want to vape without catching on fire. I hear mech mods unregulated devices can ignite just from your keys in your pockets touching them.
Loose batteries can short circuit if the insulating jacket becomes compromised, and something conductive bridges the gap between the positive terminal and the negative (essentially the whole battery body, underneath the wrapper.) A properly-assembled whole device should not short the battery unless something else goes wrong, too. Even with a torn wrapper, if you do everything else right (build within safe limits for the battery, install the battery the right way up, etc.), then even a torn wrapper won't cause an "incident." It will auto-fire the mod, sure. Drain the battery dead and scorch the atomizer, yeah. But the battery itself should be just fine, if the "continuous discharge" you are subjecting it to is less than its CDR or "continuous discharge rating". (I still wouldn't carry things like keys or coins in the same pocket with my mod, though, just in case it came apart or something and then you have a loose battery in your pocket again.)

The incidents you hear about that don't involve loose batteries, all have something else going on that's usually still attributable to misuse or user error. Installing the battery wrong-way up, using the wrong battery for your atomizer, using the wrong atomizer for your mod...all of these have the potential for disaster. But if you know what you are doing, if you are aware of the risks and how to avoid them, then mech mods can be just as safe as you want them to be. Chainsaws and automobiles can be harmful too, if used improperly, but how many limbs have you lost to one of those, lately?

MagicJosh

ECF Veteran
Feb 21, 2015
Boston, MA, USA
Mech mods don't explode or catch fire from keys in a pocket. Mech mods might go off if they are placed in a pocket and not locked, but it's not from keys in a pocket. I believe what you are referring to is batteries placed in a pocket without being put in a protective case. Keys, and loose change, WILL cause them to short and explode.
I'm sorry, but there is getting to be so much disinformation put out about mech mods right now it's getting tiresome. Mechs are as safe as anything out there, it's just a matter of how smart you are when you use them!
Again, I'm getting more fearful of multiple battery regulated mods starting to blow up, from lack of battery safety knowledge, than I am of mechs in the next year.
I actually watched a video from Convicted Vapes where a mod they were showing was going firing from any metal touching it. But you are right thats is also what I meant. Im just pointing some stuff out. I like buying mods with protection, but that's just me.

MagicJosh

ECF Veteran
Feb 21, 2015
Boston, MA, USA
I understand your concerns...........and share in them. However I use Knowledge, not fear to drive my choices and safe practices.

I Have highlighted Misinformation in your post, which could be adding undue stress.

Keys do not and cannot make Metal Tubes explode.
Keys could possibly depress an unlocked Mods switch, allowing it to continuously fire.
Keys could Short out an unprotected battery carried in a pocket.

Understanding is 90% of the battle.

Did a little Digging on iStick 50 Fire.
Found 1 Youtube Video and a Crap load of Riddit Followers Slamming the iStick over it.
Not at all unlike the Fiasco over a Small Batch of Cloupor Mini 30w that had issues a while back.
I like to refer to this as Chicken little Syndrome.

There is and will always be a percentage of product failures in mass production. Something which has never changed and likely never will. They are the unpredictable minuscule few that get by QC before rearing their ugly head. While we would prefer none Explode or Catch fire, there is almost no way to make that guarantee with a Battery powered Electronic device of any type.

However, hearing about = passing along the Rumor
Looking into = Educating oneself on product Quality

Best of luck in your Vaping journey and Choices in life.

:cool:
I watched a video from Convicted Vapes. What they did was take a metal object and place it on a certain spot on a curtain mod (Not all mech mods) and it would fire. I didn't make it up or anything. It's just what I saw. I tried finding the video but there is just too many videos.

Thank you for the extra knowlege

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Williamsport Md
I watched a video from Convicted Vapes. What they did was take a metal object and place it on a certain spot on a curtain mod (Not all mech mods) and it would fire. I didn't make it up or anything. It's just what I saw. I tried finding the video but there is just too many videos.

Thank you for the extra knowlege

I know the Video you are referencing and have posted my comments on Youtube as to its inherent dangers. While it would likely be okay as an At home, Table Piece, I would never attempt transporting it with batteries installed.

Reactions: MagicJosh
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread