best way to mix batches and steeping

Status
Not open for further replies.

jacob bonilla

Sep 4, 2015
just bought my DIY stuff with 3 4oz flavors I probably will enjoy or both had good reviews one not sure it says DX but it had a good review on the regular one.

1. what is the best way to mix up batches for steeping? I am VERY low on ejuice. I am down to 5 bottles 3 of which are unvapable for me they are too high of a nic content and I cannot fix that until I get my supplies in.

I will be doing single flavors starting at 5% maybe mixing 5ml but I was wondering how can I mix larger batches without knowing how it will taste with 5% flavoring? one is a candy flavor it's cotton candy the other 2 are desserts which I hear need to steep for a longer time. I plan to steep 1 week at the least.

could I simply just mix 30ml batches of 5% flavorings and let it all steep THEN add in more flavoring if needed or how would this work because it would throw off my pg/vg ratio's I am planning 70/30 vg/pg. I simply don't have the time to just make 1 batch let it steep then tweak the flavoring and then let it steep and continue until I find the right percentage what is the best approach to fixing this I am using capella flavorings

2. if I am adding VG to an already steeped juice or that has been steeping for a long time to dilute the nic will I need to steep it again or can I just mix and vape?

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
Hi,
On item no. 1. Go ahead and do what you feel you have to do.
Item 2. I would steep it again. 1 week sample it, 2 weeks try it again and so fourth. I would want to know what a natural steep does to my flavor type over time. If it's cotton candy, I would know it takes at least 2 weeks to get the most out of it for future reference. For me 90% of the flavors I have can be improved with steeping over 1 weeks time.

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
angryvaper.crypticsites.com
just bought my DIY stuff with 3 4oz flavors I probably will enjoy or both had good reviews one not sure it says DX but it had a good review on the regular one.

1. what is the best way to mix up batches for steeping? I am VERY low on ejuice. I am down to 5 bottles 3 of which are unvapable for me they are too high of a nic content and I cannot fix that until I get my supplies in.

I will be doing single flavors starting at 5% maybe mixing 5ml but I was wondering how can I mix larger batches without knowing how it will taste with 5% flavoring? one is a candy flavor it's cotton candy the other 2 are desserts which I hear need to steep for a longer time. I plan to steep 1 week at the least.

could I simply just mix 30ml batches of 5% flavorings and let it all steep THEN add in more flavoring if needed or how would this work because it would throw off my pg/vg ratio's I am planning 70/30 vg/pg. I simply don't have the time to just make 1 batch let it steep then tweak the flavoring and then let it steep and continue until I find the right percentage what is the best approach to fixing this I am using capella flavorings

2. if I am adding VG to an already steeped juice or that has been steeping for a long time to dilute the nic will I need to steep it again or can I just mix and vape?

When first mixing a new recipe, you should never mix more than 5ml until you know if the recipe works -- it saves waste. I've had a lot more thumbs-down than thumbs-up! If it tastes good enough to keep vaping for a while, mix 10 or 15ml, vape that and see if you keep liking it. Once you know for sure it's a keeper, then you can mix large batches.

I really don't steep, unless I'm mixing something that has a tobacco flavor in it. I always mix 25%-30% flavor, so I can tell right away if it's good or not.

Andria

jacob bonilla

Sep 4, 2015
When first mixing a new recipe, you should never mix more than 5ml until you know if the recipe works -- it saves waste. I've had a lot more thumbs-down than thumbs-up! If it tastes good enough to keep vaping for a while, mix 10 or 15ml, vape that and see if you keep liking it. Once you know for sure it's a keeper, then you can mix large batches.

I really don't steep, unless I'm mixing something that has a tobacco flavor in it. I always mix 25%-30% flavor, so I can tell right away if it's good or not.

Andria

wow that is a lot of flavoring but i was thinking that as well if adding less flavoring needs steeping time adding more i would highly assume it doesn't need steeping at all. it says to use 5% only but i think i will rack it up at 10% at first and work down something tells me 5% isn't anything special for the flavors i am looking for. i want a STRONG flavor from my juices like i get from unicorn blood by fuzion vapor but we shall see i will try a batch and steep and do it your way as well

Reactions: Kenna

Jdurand

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 16, 2014
Long Island, NY
I just started mixing as well. I found out real quick, more flavoring does not mean less steep time. In fact, a sure way to ruin most flavors is to amp up the percentage too much. Ask me how I know. My new rule is never start out with more than 10% of any one flavoring.

If you really want to "speed steep" I found this process helps. It's basically a combination of many methods I picked up reading posts here.

I mix 15ml batches, for me, too small a batch (5ml) made measuring the flavors way too critical, and I don't like the "drops" measurement. After I've mixed my recipe I give it a good shake. Second I use an inexpensive Ultrasonic jewelry cleaner at it's highest setting for 4 six minute cycles. I do this in water that is right around 150 degrees, or almost as hot as my tap will supply. Once that is done I stand the bottle up in the warm water with the cap off and let it cool overnight. Wake up, cap the bottle and give it a good shake. I've made a couple fruit cream recipes that were good to go that morning. Custards still needed another day or two to become tolerable and a week to get pretty tasty.

Good luck

jacob bonilla

Sep 4, 2015
I just started mixing as well. I found out real quick, more flavoring does not mean less steep time. In fact, a sure way to ruin most flavors is to amp up the percentage too much. Ask me how I know. My new rule is never start out with more than 10% of any one flavoring.

If you really want to "speed steep" I found this process helps. It's basically a combination of many methods I picked up reading posts here.

I mix 15ml batches, for me, too small a batch (5ml) made measuring the flavors way too critical, and I don't like the "drops" measurement. After I've mixed my recipe I give it a good shake. Second I use an inexpensive Ultrasonic jewelry cleaner at it's highest setting for 4 six minute cycles. I do this in water that is right around 150 degrees, or almost as hot as my tap will supply. Once that is done I stand the bottle up in the warm water with the cap off and let it cool overnight. Wake up, cap the bottle and give it a good shake. I've made a couple fruit cream recipes that were good to go that morning. Custards still needed another day or two to become tolerable and a week to get pretty tasty.

Good luck

yea I've heard warm water can help steeping as well didn't really understand how I guess it dilutes the vescocity of whatever of the PG since it is the thickest. what I am planning to do since like you said measuring 5ml flavorings is tedious is maybe mix 30ml batches at 5%, steep some the regular way and then mix some do the water method and try it the next day and slowly adjust the flavorings if need be it will screw up my pg/vg ration but MEH.. less percentage of vg/pg ain't anything huge imo and a lower nic is also meh I'm already trying for 2mg nic any less wont hurt unless it goes down to 0 but even then I can still vape it and slowly fix. if anything I will start 10ml/15ml got to check the calculator to see how much flavoring that measures out too.

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
angryvaper.crypticsites.com
There is a way to mix high levels of flavors, and many ways not to. The entire purpose is to know if the mix works before you have to stand around with your thumb up your .... for weeks not knowing if it even works or not.

Let the "main", primary flavor be 50% of the total percentage of flavors.

For the other 50%, it should be a blend of different creams, vanilla, and sweetener -- because nothing on earth that you actually eat is just one flavor -- if it's fruit, then it's fruit flavor, and sweet flavor, and maybe some tart flavor too. The creams and vanillas and sweetener are the base, the foundation, that will highlight the primary flavor.

This is all discussed at great length in the TFA flavoring thread; it's @Bill's Magic Vapor 's "high flavor mix" technique, and it works GREAT. And no, not every single flavor by every single mfr will adapt well to this -- tobacco flavors can easily go sideways if you use more than 1% -- TFA Blueberry Extra will only mute if you use too much -- and many other flavors have their own quirks which have to be ascertained and worked around; but for the majority of flavors, some way of using them "HFM" style is entirely possible.

Strawberry & Cream
Inawera Shisha Strawberry 16%
TFA DX Bavarian Cream 6%
TFA Vanilla Swirl 4.5%
CAP Sweet Cream 2%
TFA Sweetener 2% - 3%

My own recipe, and the best ejuice I've ever tasted.

Andria

Reactions: jacob bonilla

Tmebs

ECF Veteran
Sep 16, 2014
BFE, Illinois
wow that is a lot of flavoring but i was thinking that as well if adding less flavoring needs steeping time adding more i would highly assume it doesn't need steeping at all. it says to use 5% only but i think i will rack it up at 10% at first and work down something tells me 5% isn't anything special for the flavors i am looking for. i want a STRONG flavor from my juices like i get from unicorn blood by fuzion vapor but we shall see i will try a batch and steep and do it your way as well

Here is a starting recipe for you to play with for Unicorn Blood

All TFA
Strawberry 8%
Orange cream 4%
Juicy peach 4%
Coconut extra 2%
Kiwi double 2%

Most fruits mixes shine day three with nothing special done to them.
Have fun mixing and enjoy the savings!!! :toast:

jacob bonilla

Sep 4, 2015
I bought blueraspberry cotton candy, cinnamon bun, and blueberry crumble. I'm guessing that cinnamon bun will need to be steeped I'm hoping the other 2 I can work around with but I will see. I REALLY do not want to steep for a week I have nothing to really vape atm and by the time my order comes in will be so long. lately been vaping all my junk juices and it is killing my taste buds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread