Logistics of Mixing, Measuring & Steeping?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TinySpark

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 9, 2014
Pacific Northwest
Hi All!

Newb to mixing, measuring, and steeping in attendance...

How do you accurately mix and measure flavorings into unflavored PG/VG/Nic base? (think small batches 10 mL or so)

and if you are making bulk (100mL) unflavored nic base from PG/VG/Nic base, how long do you need to steep it/ how do you mix it to make sure that all the bases are thoroughly mixed?

Here's my idea: make 10% to 25% concentrated solutions of a flavoring... let it steep, then dilute the concentrated solutions into desired percent solutions (i.e. 5%, 10%, 1%, etc...) So, if I were to make 10mL a 20% concentrated solution how do you measure 2mL of flavorings into 8mL of unflavored base? I see a lot of recipes that say use 40 drops of this or that, and it just doesn't sit right with my inner chemist. heh. Am I being overly OCD?

what methods or tools do you use to measure, mix, and steep?

Train2

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2013
CA, USA
I'll just respond to a couple of the questions - others will get to the rest!

1 - you don't need to steep your unflavored base. Just mix it really well, and a mix before use.
Steeping is primarily about the mysterious changes that can take place with the flavorings over time, or with some warmth, etc - they blend; they mature; they perhaps react a bit with air...but nic/pg/vg shouldn't need any steeping.

2 - You're right - "drops" is no way to measure.

3 - Personally, I do all my measuring with syringes.

dannyv45

ECF DIY E-Liquid Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 12, 2013
New Jersey
www.e-cigarette-forum.com
There are many methods to mixing. You need to research and do lots of reading. There's more to mixing then add flavor mix and steep. Here is a good starting place to do your research

My blogs will give insight into all aspects of DYI, from steeping to what supplies to have on hand to a basic walk through mixing your first E-juice.

E-Cigarette Forum - dannyv45 - Blogs

Then read hoosier's blogs. These blogs concentrate on fine tuning your mix and give insight on additives.

E-Cigarette Forum - Hoosier - Blogs

Then read Boletus's blog's. These blogs concentrate on formulation of nicotine baces regarding proper calculations methods for figuring Nicotine concentration as well as safety.

E-Cigarette Forum - Boletus - Blogs

Then read Ginger's book "E-Cigarettes 102: DIY e-liquid". It is a book which I've contributed to that delivers an in depth easy to follow guide in the art of DYI.

E-Cigarettes 102: DIY E-Liquid

I recommend viewing VPLive Vape Team Episode #82: DIY Safety and bookmark it for future reference. It explains safety in all aspects of DYI.

VPLive Vape Team Episode #82: DIY Safety

then read the stickies at the top of the page.

this will explain a lot of the how's and why's.

Beside drops, the other common measuring methods include syringes (with size appropriate to the measurements needed) with blunt tipped needles and weight, using a scale with at least 0.01 gram resolution. Mixing and steeping are covered extensively in dannyv45's blogs. Here is one about steeping, and the others are all pretty helpful for people starting out:
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...you-wanted-know-about-steeping-then-some.html

I also have a few blogs that might be helpful, including some links to additional reading. Click the "3" next to "Blog Entries" under my avatar.

[edit] Looks like Danny beat me to it, and his list of resources is quite comprehensive.

TinySpark

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 9, 2014
Pacific Northwest
I'll just respond to a couple of the questions - others will get to the rest!

1 - you don't need to steep your unflavored base. Just mix it really well, and a mix before use.
Steeping is primarily about the mysterious changes that can take place with the flavorings over time, or with some warmth, etc - they blend; they mature; they perhaps react a bit with air...but nic/pg/vg shouldn't need any steeping.

2 - You're right - "drops" is no way to measure.

3 - Personally, I do all my measuring with syringes.

Lol, so how do I mix it, just shake up the bottle? How can you tell the nic base is fully mixed in, if all the solutions are clear to begin with? No really, this is a serious question, lol, just want to avoid hot spots... yes I am that ocd. ;b

also, I assume you don't just stick your syringe in a bottle of flavoring, so how do you avoid cross contamination without wasting large amounts of flavoring?

I do at least heat up (to 140 deg F) and shake my unflavored before vaping it. I use 90% VG, 10% water, and the heat thins the VG to allow better (easier) mixing.

Time also helps via diffusion, but the heat and shaking speeds it up a lot, especially with high VG mixes.

Last edited:
Lol, so how do I mix it, just shake up the bottle? How can you tell the nic base is fully mixed in, if all the solutions are clear to begin with? No really, this is a serious question, lol, just want to avoid hot spots... yes I am that ocd. ;b

also, I assume you don't just stick your syringe in a bottle of flavoring, so how do you avoid cross contamination without wasting large amounts of flavoring?

Regarding cross contamination, some people use a separate syringe for each flavor and then clean them all, but I find a good rinse with hot tap water followed by a DW flush works well enough for me. Of course using a scale and measuring by weight does away with that issue.

TinySpark

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 9, 2014
Pacific Northwest
There are many methods to mixing. You need to research and do lots of reading. There's more to mixing then add flavor mix and steep. Here is a good starting place to do your research

My blogs will give insight into all aspects of DYI, from steeping to what supplies to have on hand to a basic walk through mixing your first E-juice.

E-Cigarette Forum - dannyv45 - Blogs

Then read hoosier's blogs. These blogs concentrate on fine tuning your mix and give insight on additives.

E-Cigarette Forum - Hoosier - Blogs

Then read Boletus's blog's. These blogs concentrate on formulation of nicotine baces regarding proper calculations methods for figuring Nicotine concentration as well as safety.

E-Cigarette Forum - Boletus - Blogs

Then read Ginger's book "E-Cigarettes 102: DIY E-Liquid". It is a book which I've contributed to that delivers an in depth easy to follow guide in the art of DYI.

E-Cigarettes 102: DIY E-Liquid

I recommend viewing VPLive Vape Team Episode #82: DIY Safety and bookmark it for future reference. It explains safety in all aspects of DYI.

VPLive Vape Team Episode #82: DIY Safety

then read the stickies at the top of the page.

this will explain a lot of the how's and why's.

Thanks dannyv45! I actually read all of those links, when I saw you post them on another thread. I even read ginger's book. I think I am just overthinking things. meh. :D

Thanks dannyv45! I actually read all of those links, when I saw you post them on another thread. I even read ginger's book. I think I am just overthinking things. meh. :D

If you have already read all of that and have not started mixing yet, you probably are over thinking it. Regarding mixing methods, shaking works OK, but a magnetic stir plate or an ultrasonic cleaner can help. But there have been a lot of creative (and some hilarious) solutions shared; these threads are worth reading for the fun of it at least.
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/diy-e-liquid/607588-clothes-dryer-mix-heat-steep.html
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/diy-e-liquid/603158-mixing-liquids-more-evenly.html
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/diy-e-liquid/601916-mixing-flavors-no-more-shaking.html
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/diy-e-liquid/592316-mixing-hand-sander.html

Last edited:

BlueridgeDog

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 20, 2014
Rocky Mount, VA, USA

Your base nic is already "mixed" with a carrier unless you are working with pure nic (typically pg, but I buy mine 50/50 now)...so diluting it with more pg/vg is not difficult and a simple shake seems to suffice.

As to cross contamination, I am not that ..... I use one tip and simply wipe it off when moving from flavor to flavor and rinse when done. I am certain there is some degree of micro cross contamination of the flavors, but having done it that way for a bit and gotten to the end of a 2oz flavoring bottle I can not tell any impact. If you were really worried, you could have a glass of water by your mix area and to a plunge rinse.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread