Best grape?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dendrobite

Jan 28, 2013
USA
I'm new to the DIY thing and was about to put in my second order from one stop DIY shop. Before I did, I thought I'd ask which grape was the best. I want to make a really good grape flavor. Possibly a mix of a few different grapes.

I figure grape is a pretty basic flavor and learning to tweak and perfect something basic would be a good first step for crafting personalized flavors.

Thanks in advance,
-Dendrobite

Skypea

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 1, 2011
The Shoals, Alabama
I would like to hear experiences with different grape flavors also, so here's a little bump for you. I would love to vape one that tastes like welches grape juice. Are you wanting a grape juice/real grape or candy grape like jolly ranchers? Also as busy as she is, Kimberly at diy shop has always been helpful if you got a question. You can always ask her.

Dendrobite

Jan 28, 2013
USA
This is easy: Grape Vine

I didn't get mine sweetened and it tasted so amazingly real that I couldn't imagine it better. This juice is made exclusively from grapes.
I'm actually looking to make it rather than just buy the best existing one. unfortunately they don't sell their grape flavor

I went ahead and purchased three different grape flavors (one jolly rancher) from the one stop DIY shop. I'm going to try several different micro batches to see which one works for me. It occurs to me only now that I should have bought some extra 10ml bottles too. Hindsight is 20/20 I suppose.

I'll post my results here as they come in.

Mr.Mann

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 30, 2011
All over the place
I'm actually looking to make it rather than just buy the best existing one. unfortunately they don't sell their grape flavor

I went ahead and purchased three different grape flavors (one jolly rancher) from the one stop DIY shop. I'm going to try several different micro batches to see which one works for me. It occurs to me only now that I should have bought some extra 10ml bottles too. Hindsight is 20/20 I suppose.

I'll post my results here as they come in.

Maybe, though I know nothing about DIY, you can look into extracting flavors?

Dendrobite

Jan 28, 2013
USA
I did start two extractions today. One Hibiscus and one Lavender. I'm really excited to see how they turn out. the hibiscus bled into the PG almost immediately after the first round of shaking. I checked on it about half an hour later before leaving for work and it's pretty dark. The smell of hibiscus really brings back the better parts of my childhood. I'm not sure exactly how long I should let it soak, but the longer the better I suppose.

Mr.Mann

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 30, 2011
All over the place
I did start two extractions today. One Hibiscus and one Lavender. I'm really excited to see how they turn out. the hibiscus bled into the PG almost immediately after the first round of shaking. I checked on it about half an hour later before leaving for work and it's pretty dark. The smell of hibiscus really brings back the better parts of my childhood. I'm not sure exactly how long I should let it soak, but the longer the better I suppose.

Now you're talking. I am sure there is a ton of info out there about doing this, but it looks like you're on your way.

Odysseus

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
N Topsail Beach, NC
I'm a grape junkie. It's my primary vape. Grape bubblegum actually. I have tried all the grape flavorings from all the major flavoring manufacturers as well as VZ and other comprehensive vapor shops. Many vapor shops repackage and relabel the flavorings they sell. So, other than VZ, you are unlikely to find flavoring other than that produced by one of the major manufactures.

I have tried FA, FW, NF, TFA, FF, TP and LorAnn. All were poured down the drain. The only 2 acceptable grape flavorings I have found are VZ grape and Capella's. Capella's concord grape is the best as far as I am concerned. VZ is a close second, but it is alcohol based. I find it easily overpowered by slight amounts of other flavors, even mixed as high as 30%.

Additionally, I have tried many ready mixed grape liquids. All, including Ahlusion's grape vine are made with one of the flavorings I poured down the drain. I have 60ml of grapevine and 50ml of MBV grape sitting untouched. I have poured others down the drain, but can't yet accept my wastefulness on those two large bottles. The only ready mix grape I liked was Pink Spot's grape hubba bubba. However, I had to tweek it.

As a result, I have been experimenting. My best grape bubble gum so far is as follows:

30ml batch @ 12mg/ml with no PG other than what is contained in the flavoring.
7ml Capella's concord grape
2ml VZ grape
0.5ml Tasty Puff ghetto grape
1.5ml Capella Bubble gum
8 drops EZ Sweetz (liquid sucralose)
VG nic base

With either ready mix or homemade, I can never get the flavor strong enough. I would vape pure flavoring if I could. If the OP or anyone comes up with a good grape recipe, let me know. I'm will sample just about anything but will not buy a pre-mixed grape. I won't be fooled again.

FACE MEAT

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 1, 2013
Costa Mesa, CA
I've personally never mixed a grape, but it sounds logical that the addition of a souring agent would help one achieve a natural (as opposed to candy-like) grape flavor. Since the OP was looking for a Welch's grape juice flavor, which is a bit tart and not cloyingly sweet, it might be worth considering. Every one of the fruit flavors I've tried, with the exception of pina colada, has improved with a bit of malic acid.

Caridwen

ECF Moderator
Senior Moderator
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 15, 2011
I'm a grape junkie. It's my primary vape. Grape bubblegum actually. I have tried all the grape flavorings from all the major flavoring manufacturers as well as VZ and other comprehensive vapor shops. Many vapor shops repackage and relabel the flavorings they sell. So, other than VZ, you are unlikely to find flavoring other than that produced by one of the major manufactures.

I have tried FA, FW, NF, TFA, FF, TP and LorAnn. All were poured down the drain. The only 2 acceptable grape flavorings I have found are VZ grape and Capella's. Capella's concord grape is the best as far as I am concerned. VZ is a close second, but it is alcohol based. I find it easily overpowered by slight amounts of other flavors, even mixed as high as 30%.

Additionally, I have tried many ready mixed grape liquids. All, including Ahlusion's grape vine are made with one of the flavorings I poured down the drain. I have 60ml of grapevine and 50ml of MBV grape sitting untouched. I have poured others down the drain, but can't yet accept my wastefulness on those two large bottles. The only ready mix grape I liked was Pink Spot's grape hubba bubba. However, I had to tweek it.

As a result, I have been experimenting. My best grape bubble gum so far is as follows:

30ml batch @ 12mg/ml with no PG other than what is contained in the flavoring.
7ml Capella's concord grape
2ml VZ grape
0.5ml Tasty Puff ghetto grape
1.5ml Capella Bubble gum
8 drops EZ Sweetz (liquid sucralose)
VG nic base

With either ready mix or homemade, I can never get the flavor strong enough. I would vape pure flavoring if I could. If the OP or anyone comes up with a good grape recipe, let me know. I'm will sample just about anything but will not buy a pre-mixed grape. I won't be fooled again.

Where did you get the Capella's?

LarryPer

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 28, 2012
San Diego CA
I would like to hear experiences with different grape flavors also, so here's a little bump for you. I would love to vape one that tastes like welches grape juice. Are you wanting a grape juice/real grape or candy grape like jolly ranchers? Also as busy as she is, Kimberly at diy shop has always been helpful if you got a question. You can always ask her.

Wizard labs
But its real dark and will clog everyting

BakuPeg

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 10, 2012
Gainesville, Ga

tidegirl

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 21, 2011
Panama City, FL
+1 for Capella's, but I have not had other grapes to compare.

Grape bubble gum, gonna have to try that. Bubble gum is my #1 flavor, the one thing that I usually can't be without (but I prefer LA). I thought I was the only one. I hardly ever see anyone talk about BG juice.

Caridwen- I got my Capella's grape straight from the source, but it is just listed as grape, not concord grape. I assume this is the same thing, unless they d/c'd the concord and replaced it?

P.S. RE: preferring LA bubble gum... I actually wish I could get Capella's BG to taste exactly the way it smells. It smells exactly like I want my BG juice to taste. But I have tried every strength, and it just doesn't taste the same to me. s'ok, though. LA is pretty freakin awesome too.

Caridwen

ECF Moderator
Senior Moderator
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 15, 2011
Thanks. I have been using Vaping Zone Conc. grape but thought adding a bit of Capellas might be good.

I really do like the grape flavoring from Vapor Bomb as well but it is more of a 'grape' and not grape bubble gum.

I think Classwife vapes bubble gum. I'll ask her what flavoring she uses.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread