Status
Not open for further replies.

Tinkiegrrl

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 18, 2013
New York, NY
I know, I know, the ego batteries and MODs are much better. Unlike many, egos are where my husband and I started. Based on the recommendation of a friend who quit smoking by using vaporizers, my mother purchased me a very nice variable volt, passthrough, 650 mAh ego style battery with a bottom coil clearomizer for $15. It works great, and while I'm sure there's better, I love my little starter kit and it did the job. I quit smoking. I even went ahead and purchased the same starter kit for my husband and mother in law. Thing is, it isn't working out so well for my husband.

Don't get me wrong. He no longer buys cigarettes, and his vape works great for him when he's home. However, when he's out and about, he will bum a cigarette off someone whenever he can. The ego style battery is apparently cramping his style. He would like me to purchase him a "cigalike" kit next time I order in vape mail. I'm a bit wary of them though, since so many here weren't satisfied with their cigalikes. I'm afraid it's going to be a waste of money, especially as he's used to his ego battery lasting him nearly all day, and he's used to the ability to change the volt level if needed. Still, if he feels uncomfortable with the ego....

Can anyone recommend a really good cigalike starter kit? Something where the cartridges can be refilled and the battery lasts a decent amount of time? If not a decent amount of time, then at least come with a charging case and produce as much of a throat hit as possible? I've heard of too many unsatisfied Blu customers to go with that one.

spaceballsrules

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 6, 2011
North Carolina, USA

JJOOHHNN

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 19, 2013
USA
On something the size of a cigalike there are limitations on what it can do.

You can get one with a lot of punch but it will not last long.

You can get one with relatively good run time for it's size but it will not have as much punch.

You can get one based on the recharging case that goes with it.

The 3.7 regulated ones using LiFePo4 have steady predictable power and a good number of mAh relative to their size but do not have as much punch because they cannot carry the amps as well as some others.

The ones with a high drain battery can carry the same amps as an eGo and can power a 1.5 ohm device. They can also maintain above 4v at 2.3 ohms for an hour. You get to pick a lot of punch for 30 minutes or good punch for an hour.
\
What are you looking for in a cigalike battery?

Unless you know what you are looking for in a cigalike I think it is going to be a lot of trial and error for you or you might just stick with something you get that is not quite what you were looking for.

Last edited:

devauto

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 13, 2013
NoVA
I know, I know, the ego batteries and MODs are much better. Unlike many, egos are where my husband and I started. Based on the recommendation of a friend who quit smoking by using vaporizers, my mother purchased me a very nice variable volt, passthrough, 650 mAh ego style battery with a bottom coil clearomizer for $15. It works great, and while I'm sure there's better, I love my little starter kit and it did the job. I quit smoking. I even went ahead and purchased the same starter kit for my husband and mother in law. Thing is, it isn't working out so well for my husband.

Don't get me wrong. He no longer buys cigarettes, and his vape works great for him when he's home. However, when he's out and about, he will bum a cigarette off someone whenever he can. The ego style battery is apparently cramping his style. He would like me to purchase him a "cigalike" kit next time I order in vape mail. I'm a bit wary of them though, since so many here weren't satisfied with their cigalikes. I'm afraid it's going to be a waste of money, especially as he's used to his ego battery lasting him nearly all day, and he's used to the ability to change the volt level if needed. Still, if he feels uncomfortable with the ego....

Can anyone recommend a really good cigalike starter kit? Something where the cartridges can be refilled and the battery lasts a decent amount of time? If not a decent amount of time, then at least come with a charging case and produce as much of a throat hit as possible? I've heard of too many unsatisfied Blu customers to go with that one.

Okay, so these are the problems that generally drive people to the eGo style batteries. That said, there are 2 systems that have a large following and GREAT reviews from some respected reviewers in ecigs. Those 2 are the Halo G6, and the Joyetech eGo (also known as Ovale eMini). They both have pros and cons, so I suggest reading up and researching them to see which would better fit your husband's vaping style.

If I were buying one (and I just might be soon), it would be the eRoll. It uses a small battery (about 10min or so life like a cigarette), recharges in it's case, has a small tank for juice (.6ml I think), and vapes like a champ. As always though ... YMMV!

HTH!

Ladiekali

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 1, 2013
Florida
esmarts are a nice kit.
got mine from vaperauthority $35
I don't use them any more though. but they are nice.

the halo g6 isn't bad, just limited and a little pricey.

not refillable, but the closest to a cigarette in my experience is whitecloud ecigs.
they even have the fling disposables, the mini flings are short like a real cigarette.
i really enjoyed these and the flavors are really good. excellent customer service.

my suggestion would be the mini flings, when they die you toss them out.
especially since he is fine with the gear at home.
these might give him that feeling of having a cigarette in his hands.
the way you hold them, the way you vape them.
no buttons to press.

they even have a nice case for the mini flings.
i'm actually about to order some for myself as i keep going back to a ciggys too.
these you can keep a couple in the glove box.

good luck in your decision.
i'll be curious to know what you decide on and how it works out
so update us!

Ladiekali

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 1, 2013
Florida
If you want something short and narrow, go with the Joyetech eRoll. If you do not mind a bit more length, go with the Panda Evolve.

i have two of these panda's as well!
lol. they arent bad.
3.7 volts refillable,
cheap as heck.
I have a blue and pink one.
they to me are a cheaper version of the haloG6. the tip lights up, the halo does not.
but at about $8 a battery i had to try it.
i didn't use it much, sits in a box, thinking it might be good for like the beach this year. when it's ok if i lose one.
it is very thin and lightweight.

JJOOHHNN

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 19, 2013
USA
Can anyone recommend a really good cigalike starter kit? Something where the cartridges can be refilled and the battery lasts a decent amount of time?.

produce as much of a throat hit as possible?

These are two very different requirements and I don't think you can find a cigalike that will do both.

If you want it to last a decent amount of time that still can be divided into two questions. Do you want longer runtime in a single unit or do want it using a case to charge it?

In a single unit you can get longer runtime for it's size using a 3.7 regulated one using LiFePo4. You can go longer if you use a charging case. LiFePo4 can get you a modestly good amount or runtime but you are not going to get a lot of throat hit because it cannot carry a lot of amps.

If you want throat hit out of a cigalike you can get it with a high drain battery at 1.5 ohms. You will not get a lot of run time with this set up. pushing 1.5 ohms might be dangerous when not using a high drain cell.

The eRoll can get you more throat hit than many combinations of LiFePo4 but for run time you will need to use the case and the throat hit is still nothing to write home about.

If the goal is vapor and throat hit it simply does not have the horse power and amp carrying capacity of a cigalike using a high drain battery.

Last edited:

devauto

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 13, 2013
NoVA
Personally, I would stay away from the Panda evolve. The have not had the best reviews, but more importantly, they have been discontinued. The good news is they are a standard 510 connection, the bad news is they don't come with a charging case.

I would also stay away from the Kanger eSmart systems, I had a set myself, larger than a cig-a-like, smaller than an eGo, but they were very finicky.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread