Back Outside with the Smokers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chrisnotes86

ECF Veteran
Mar 7, 2013
Ohio
My wife and I work at the same retailer and have vaped our Reos respectfully on our 10 minute breaks and also on our lunches. There has never been an issue.

So recently a ton of people just got egos, and some other tube mods and have been vaping all over the store. They vape whenever they feel like it. Granted we are closed when they are vaping on the sales floor, it does not look good when they're not on break and should be doing work (even if it takes just a sec to take a rip).

Because of all this hoopla other employees complained to management thus they banned vaping inside, at all times.

Now I have to join the smokers outside in the cold when I wanna vape!

UGGGGGGHHHHH!

Della Cirque

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 1, 2011
Deep East Texas
A little off topic, but bathroom break made me think of it. Last time I went to visit the parents I decided to revisit old times and sneak a vape in the bathroom. Blew two clouds out the window and I hear my Mom..."Dave, is the hot tub on? I just saw a huge cloud of steam."
It wasn't on and the cover was on it, so I was pretty much busted. I forgot that Dad busted down the wall and added windows....and that Mom sees everything.

super_X_drifter

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 4, 2012
Somewhere out there
www.youtube.com
I recently started to vape in the office while I work. But I work at home and vape unflavored. :)

Aside from the fog that eventually dissipates, it's like it never even happened.

All aside, I prefer to go outside or atleast stand at the screen door vape.

My house is technically a no vape zone and as far as anyone here knows i abide by the house rules :)

If I did still work in someone else's place of employ, I'd go outside and vape just like I used to go outside and smoke.

Jugband

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 10, 2013
PA, USA
This is a little off topic, but I noticed your in Ohio and I had to add this. I went to a concert in Ohio. It was at a roadhouse so I sent an email to them and asked if smoking or in my case vapeing was allowed. They said ecigs were fine. That lasted about two minutes. Two different bouncers insisted, "No smoking!" When I checked the policy with a manager she again said their fine and added, "This is Ohio, the boy's don't know about those." If I couldn't do it at a roadhouse in Ohio good luck at work. :p But I'm from a small town in PA, believe me, I'm no better off.

Wickeddeuce

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 11, 2013
JBLM
I recently started to vape in the office while I work. But I work at home and vape unflavored. :)

Aside from the fog that eventually dissipates, it's like it never even happened.

All aside, I prefer to go outside or atleast stand at the screen door vape.

My house is technically a no vape zone and as far as anyone here knows i abide by the house rules :)

If I did still work in someone else's place of employ, I'd go outside and vape just like I used to go outside and smoke.

I cant wait to work from home... you guys always make me jealous in one way or another... lets change that... you guys inspire me... but also jealous... but add some positive... inspire... with jealousy... at least its not all bad... lol

X-Puppy

Cloud Hound!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 13, 2013
Marysville, Washington, USA
I haven't had to go outside yet at work but I see it coming. I've been quietly stealth in the corner for about 6 months. I do go outside when I break out the dual coil tobacco vape. I do the no flavor thing when I'm in the building. But I know the day is coming when I will be asked to take it outside. I will probably do it voluntarily here in the very near future.

My wife is a long time ex smoker and we just had the discussion about vaping in the house again. I'm going to the local grow shop this week and picking up one of those in-line exhaust fans and putting an insert in my office window so it goes straight outside. I vape a lot and it does kinda settle on everything. I noticed a haze on my office window and had to clean it the other day. This was the compromise, it was either that or go back to vaping outside all the time. It sure has been nice not to have to be in the weather this winter. I don't have my 3 month cold this year either which I really don't miss.

It seems that folks that don't smoke are no less offended by vaping. It only takes a few nuts to ruin it for the rest of us. I try to respect people who don't understand. After all, we are the minority! :)

marsos52

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 17, 2013
new jersey
outside smoking only at my work place. the same goes for vaping.

one of the higher figures at work once asked me about vaping and we sat down and I explained the whole story. I also showed how the vapor is produced and on and on. we talked about the second hand smoke thing etc.

he was interested because he sees so many employees switching to vaping.

I suggested to let us vapers use a vacant room close by the break room for vaping only. he seemed to like the idea and said he would present it to others at the next company meeting

Just last week he approached me and said my idea is a NO GO.. I will not even explain the reasons why.

Wickeddeuce

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 11, 2013
JBLM
marsos52:12344750 said:
outside smoking only at my work place. the same goes for vaping.

one of the higher figures at work once asked me about vaping and we sat down and I explained the whole story. I also showed how the vapor is produced and on and on. we talked about the second hand smoke thing etc.

he was interested because he sees so many employees switching to vaping.

I suggested to let us vapers use a vacant room close by the break room for vaping only. he seemed to like the idea and said he would present it to others at the next company meeting

Just last week he approached me and said my idea is a NO GO.. I will not even explain the reasons why.

Could you shoot me a pm with why i would like to know... I would like to know what i am likely to face as i transition

super_X_drifter

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 4, 2012
Somewhere out there
www.youtube.com
Personally, as a smoker I was glad when smoking outdoors. When I started smoking, in like the 80's, smoking was allowed everywhere. Walking thru Publix, at your desk - everywhere. Only after it moved outside did it fully become clear how much smoking stinks and permeates an environment.

Like I said, I'm glad it's outside.

Now that I vape, I feel the same way. Most juices that people vape have a very noticable smell to me (and I'm sure they do to non vapers / smokers too). That said, I wouldn't wanna sit around smelling it every time I went somewhere. Nor would I want to work, shop, eat or hang out in a vape infested environment.

I guess I have a hard time sympathizing with anyone for having to go outside to vape.

The less people we offend or rules that we circumvent or policies that have to be revisited for us "vapers" the more offensive it's gonna be to those who don't do it.

Why shouldn't we go outside to vape? I bet if you didn't ever smoke or vape you'd want them vapers outside too. :)

Edit: walk into a vape shop and you can smell it before you even open the door. Doesn't exactly smell like kirklands.

Last edited:

Stringer63

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2011
KY
While I can still vape in the office (thankfully I have an individual office w/ a door), I sometimes can get mentally involved in something and don't realize the clouds I'm billowing with my grand. I'll turn around and my space is a vape cloud. While I have been diligent in asking to make sure I'm not bothering anyone around me, I agree Sup, and need to be more respectful to those around me. At least do a more stealthy approach or just take it outside. Best to keep things low key and avoid issues to bring on a ban.

tmel

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 8, 2013
Denver, CO
This happened at my previous job, I got a co-worker into vaping and the next day he shows up with some crazy ... sub ohm quad coil on a mech mod blowing clouds of vanilla custard all over the office like an idiot.

I had been vaping in the office for over a year without a peep from anyone, it got banned after 3 days.........ER!!!!

supertrunker

Living sarcasm
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 12, 2012
Texas
i vape all day at my work. Obviously it's np when i am in the warehouse - but they have no issues with it in the office either. One guy there is a hypochondriac and as soon as i pointed out that PG was piped thru hospital vents to kill germs he was all for it! :)

The women in the office like the different flavours i use and as long as i don't turn into a rampant cloud hound, everyone seems happy with the arrangement, especially since i am actually working more rather than going outside to smoke.

Sometimes i still go outside with the smokers, but that's if i have a question or if i want to irritate them by producing more "smoke" than they can. There is no cigarette smoking in the building, but vaping is allowed, for good productivity reasons.

None of this is to condone rudeness to other people, since i do not blow vape at people anymore than i expect smokers to do to me. In either case the penalty is a punch in the throat!

T

Chrisnotes86

ECF Veteran
Mar 7, 2013
Ohio
Why shouldn't we go outside to vape? I bet if you didn't ever smoke or vape you'd want them vapers outside too.

I tend to disagree.

I am surprised by the amount of vapors here who don't vape in their own homes. Yes, a vape shop DOES smell, but that's because a ton of people are vaping in there all day, every day. When I alone vape in a room or in my house the smell dissipates within few short moments. It does NOT permeate the environment and linger. Now as far as health risks are concerned I totally get why some people would not be ok with it. I respect that.

It's funny, I have to endure 2 days of burnt popcorn smell from the microwave at work, no problem though. It happens all the time.

Last edited:

Just Me

ECF Veteran
Mar 4, 2010
I guess ecigs need to be looked at as cigs and they should be treated the same to be respectful of others..

I absolutely agree AND disagree. Ecigs are not burning tobacco, and are definitely not cigs in any way except for the fog-looking exhale. Ergo, I will do what I want with them in my own (paid for) home, which is to vape away, as much and as often as I want to. Some people have mentioned a film of sorts that develops on windows. I haven't noticed it from vaping, per se, but our gas fireplace causes a slight film on glass surfaces over time, so how would I know which one is causing it? We had the fireplace (and the window film) long before I started vaping.

That said, I respect the rules in public places. If I don't like the rules, I don't go there.

X-Puppy

Cloud Hound!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 13, 2013
Marysville, Washington, USA
In my house I know for sure the buildup on my windows is definitely from vaping. It's no surprise. I run subΩ dual coil cloud machines that completely fog my office in ~4 lung hits, and it sticks around for a while.

I just completed a cloud vacuum for my office that sends my vapor out the window. I went to the local indoor garden shop and picked up an in-line fan and ducting. Cut out a 4 layer thick cardboard insert for my window and wrapped it with that carpet tape they use for walkways in new construction. The adhesive roll is about 3 feet wide and it works great for waterproofing the cardboard.

It works, but I have to upgrade the fan. The boost fan isn't strong enough. I have to blow directly into the tube even after reducing the opening to balance the pressure. I'm going to upgrade to a higher power turbine type fan and mount it inside a insulated box to reduce the noise.

I either make this work, or my vaping goes back outside.8-o

Oh, and the very next workday after posting in this thread, vaping at work is officially limited to the smoking areas of the campus. I no longer miss the smell of analog cigarettes. I have mixed feelings about that. I understand taking it outside, but I never thought I would end up being forced to be around cigarettes after having quit smoking.

If I didn't enjoy vaping more than I did smoking, not to mention the hobby, the commrodry and health benefits, I would be tempted to just give up and go back to the stinkies. I'm just having a hard time right now wrapping my head around the fact that most people don't smoke or vape and they seem to do just fine. Ironically, it was a jealous smoker who inspired this recent change.

On the plus side, maybe folks in the smoking area will be inspired by my vaping pleasure an we'll have a few converts. With the experience I have gained from you folks I can probably save them a ton of money should they decide to make the switch. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread