Avoiding flooding when dripping (510)...

Status
Not open for further replies.

CemeteryMan

ECF Veteran
Dec 22, 2009
Toronto, Canada
I dunno if anyone already figured this out and posted it but here's my tip for 510 users.

I was flooding all the time and I noticed what I was doing was pushing down on the top of the cart covering the air hole to replace it after dripping the liquid in so the air pressure would force the juice out the bottom! Now I replace the cart by gripping the sides, keeping the air hole uncovered and sliding it in slowly. Now it never floods... hope this was helpful.

---------
my updated edit to this post:

When you attach your cartridge to your atty don't cover the air hole that you inhale through. This will help prevent flooding.

I'm pretty sure this will apply to most if not all models. It's common with the 510 'cuz it's just seems easy to press it in from the top like a button.
--------

Last edited:

smokum

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 9, 2008
Ottawa, Ontario -CANADA-
Ya know, I've been vaping for lil over a year now and have always tossed my 510 carts out when they became loose fitting for a new tight fit one.

So tight, that I would simply start the cart on the atomizer, fist the pv and press the cart on fully with my thumb (over that hole).

I only realized myself, a couple weeks ago, that this was exactly why I was flooding the atty, or causing a forced leaky or gurgling mess.

Its funny how one can overlook the simplest of things for so long, lol.

VapeOn,
Greg

IdolLurker

ECF Veteran
Dec 13, 2009
Florida USA
I dunno if anyone already figured this out and posted it but here's my tip for 510 users.

I was flooding all the time and I noticed what I was doing was pushing down on the top of the cart covering the air hole to replace it after dripping the liquid in so the air pressure would force the juice out the bottom! Now I replace the cart by gripping the sides, keeping the air hole uncovered and sliding it in slowly. Now it never floods... hope this was helpful.

Another tip that I found was to not put juice directly in the atty all the time. I am using the Blue Foam Mod "wedgie" (without a straw) and I load the cart with ejuice directly onto the foam until I get a one drop bulge on top. I put the cart on like you said - never blocking the hole - and then let it "rest" for a few minutes on the table. This gives the ejuice time to distribute and some hits the atty when the high bridge connects with the blue foam while placing the cart. If I try to drip too much directly in the atty then the gurgle is common. I also found out that it is useless to keep trying to draw if you get the gurgle :(- blow it out and start fresh. I also clean my atty and change the blue foam every few days - since I am a heavy vaper and that seems to make flooding a thing of the past. When using a cleaned atty then I do put a few drops directly into the atty to prime it again.

Another tip for the ejuice if you are mixing it yourself is to make sure it is the right consistency. I was flooding the atty because I mixed the ejuice too thin. I only drip with VG and that is a challenge sometimes to adjust the consistency - now I do a count of drips/minute to check it. It is also important to make sure your battery is charged enough and you aren't trying to draw on a fresh load of ejuice with a batt that is almost gone - the standard batts are the worse for this drop off problem too.

After a month of dripping with the 510 I have just gotten good enough at it to actually enjoy this - no flood, no juice in the mouth. It has been frustrating until now but finally getting my act together. :pop:

CemeteryMan

ECF Veteran
Dec 22, 2009
Toronto, Canada
Wow! Thanks Cemetery. I never realized I had been doing that. Now no more flooding. But doesn't this assume that you are removing the atty from the battery every time you drip? With the ego, its a 3-step process and kind of a PITA.

To clarify my only experience is with the standard Joye 510 and the 510 atty with a Silver Bullet and this post only refers to 'dripping'. I don't use filled carts, to me the 'dripping' is like how I used to use my lighter to light my analogue... instead of a lighter I 'light' my e-cig with some drops of juice.

No, there is no reason to remove the atty from the battery at all (unless you flood it, which is the reason I posted this), just to remove the blank cart each time you drip.

I'm not sure the Ego would be that drip friendly if you have to add that extra atty 'hood' each time, but I've no experience with that device.

CemeteryMan

ECF Veteran
Dec 22, 2009
Toronto, Canada
If I try to drip too much directly in the atty then the gurgle is common.

The gurgle is good... :) I think some miss-communication is happening here... Dripping involves a blank cart and dripping on the atty... 'Topping' is dripping on your cart... but a similar principle applys - if you over fill your cart or cart mod and cover the air hole when you attach it to the atty the air pressure will flood your atty...

IdolLurker

ECF Veteran
Dec 13, 2009
Florida USA
Dripping is putting the juice on the atty every time... :)

My point is that I do put ejuice on the atty every time by slightly overfilling the cart on a blue foam mod and then attaching it. I guess I could have underfilled the cart and then put in one drop directly to the atty but this works pretty good for me. I had so many problems with flooded attys and the flavor wasn't as good when I also put more drips into the atty directly. I think my problem is with the standard batts and VG and flavors that tend to junk up the atty quickly.

So by your definition... if I am not dripping and not using a cartomizer what the heck am I? Perhaps drooling??? It works so good me....whatever it is called. LOL.

CemeteryMan

ECF Veteran
Dec 22, 2009
Toronto, Canada
My point is that I do put ejuice on the atty every time by slightly overfilling the cart on a blue foam mod and then attaching it. I guess I could have underfilled the cart and then put in one drop directly to the atty but this works pretty good for me. I had so many problems with flooded attys and the flavor wasn't as good when I also put more drips into the atty directly. I think my problem is with the standard batts and VG and flavors that tend to junk up the atty quickly.

So by your definition... if I am not dripping and not using a cartomizer what the heck am I? Perhaps drooling??? It works so good me....whatever it is called. LOL.

Hehe... you're just using a cart mod. If you wanna drip first while doing so just use 1 drip and don't overfill your cart. When I used the regular foam carts that come standard I would fill them and then tap them on some paper towel to remove the extra juice. Too much juice on the atty will result in poor performance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread