Are they easy to use?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KansaiMike

Mar 26, 2014
A friend of mine recently bought an Ego CE4+. The first night she tried it, she was hooked. The next morning, she turned it on and it didn’t work. She asked me what was wrong. I said I didn’t know. It could be anything. Yeah yeah…I know. You’re going through the list of possible problems right now. That was my first reaction also. I see a different problem here. I’m wondering just how simple and easy these products really are and what to suggest to someone starting out.

Now wait. This is not a typical “What do I suggest to my friend” question. I’m asking for a little more. I’d like to hear replies from people who have suggested to friends that they start with Product A or Product B and whether they continue to vape or they gave up because the learning curve was just too steep. I mean, did they realize they had to buy new coil heads and/or cartomizers? Did they know they would have to clean it, buy new batteries, or possibly replace tanks?

I’ll start…

My friend bought a CE4+ starter kit. She used it the first night. The next morning it didn’t work. I mentioned she’d have to buy some new coil heads and maybe even another clearomizer. Her response, “I was hoping this would just work. It seems like there’s lot to learn.”

Another friend of mine says every time she puffs on her Ego Twist it makes her cough. She’s gone back to smoking.

I look forward to your comments. They’ll help me when I talk to my friends about getting started.

Cheers

Bontasia

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 22, 2014
Texas
There is definitely more to vaping than smoking. You can just buy a pack of cigarettes and a lighter and you're done.

The trade off is life, health, outlook on life, not stinking, tasting food, smelling flowers and I could go on and on.

There are SOOO many people vaping now that you can Google just about any piece of equipment and you will find articles, pictures and plenty of YouTube videos about it.

My point is that the starter (like eGo) vaping equipment is easy enough to jump into but you will need to put some effort into it to keep it going. And you can make it as involved as you choose. You can get a couple of eGo batteries and protank II minis and just replace the heads every week or two (takes all of literally 10 seconds to do) or you can get into rebuilding heads and making your own e-liquid and more.

Have your friend join our forum and I bet within a few minutes some of our amazing members will have her issues resolved and her vaping again.

CreepyLady

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2013
Salem, MA, USA
Ok, so for anyone I "converted" (honestly, they were people who already WANTED to quit and were DETERMINED to quit who merely used me as their vaping encyclopedia) I would let them know, not to place the first stuff order without me and to let me know when it came so I could show them all of the piecy parts and how they all worked. I usually recommended any eGo style battery (x2) or MVP (+ 1 ego battery), 3-? evods, 10 replacement coils and as many small bottles of flavors they could afford. Usually, I would tell a tobacco flavor person to make sure and order only a few tobacco types and pick some others out that sound appealing in the coffee/fruit/bakery realm because tobacco flavor does not taste like cigarettes. :)

When the kit came in, I would go over and sit down and go through all of the doo dads and make sure they were at enough of a mutual understanding with said ecig to be able to call me for help and be walked through any issues. I give them ECF addy and make sure they are up and running.

These are not as simple as blu disposables, but they are a million times more effective. Any one who HONESTLY *wants* to quit will be determined enough to find resources to get past the learning curve. If someone new had zero other people as a resource, they can literally google pretty much anything ecig and find explanations and videos.

Someone who kinda sorta wants to quit will use things like "its kinda sorta hard" as a reason to continue smoking. Every. Single. Time.

MalkinMania71

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2014
PA
I agree that they have to want to do it and they also have to do a little research themselves. I am only 20 days into it and I have two people that have purchased them. I sat down with my mother in law and ordered with her. Then when it came in, she brought it to me so I could explain it. I could tell then by the look on her face that she isn't going to quit. She's going to have a thousand excuses why it doesn't work for her. The number one being pure laziness that everything she orders has to be online. The nearest B & M is 30 minutes away, but the local gas station is 5 minutes. The other possible convert didn't listen to me and got a completely different (cheaper) set up then wanted me to walk her through it. I did the best I could but I'm just learning myself. If someone asks me, I will do everything I can to help but if they are going to make excuses then I'm not wasting my time holding their hand.

DeloresRose

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2014
toledo ohio
I agree that they have to want to do it and they also have to do a little research themselves. I am only 20 days into it and I have two people that have purchased them. I sat down with my mother in law and ordered with her. Then when it came in, she brought it to me so I could explain it. I could tell then by the look on her face that she isn't going to quit. She's going to have a thousand excuses why it doesn't work for her. The number one being pure laziness that everything she orders has to be online. The nearest B & M is 30 minutes away, but the local gas station is 5 minutes. The other possible convert didn't listen to me and got a completely different (cheaper) set up then wanted me to walk her through it. I did the best I could but I'm just learning myself. If someone asks me, I will do everything I can to help but if they are going to make excuses then I'm not wasting my time holding their hand.

Gosh, I wish you'd been my friend when I got my first kit. Would have saved me a lot of time, trouble, and cash. I dd not know anyone who vaped then, nobody could guide me.

I had equipment failure pretty much out of the gate too, and was discouraged. I was leary of spending a lot more money to replace the stuff. (I'm a total cheapskate LOL!)

One thing that kept me going, I had tried a Blue and even though it tasted like .... (I thought) I knew I cold use that to quit. Still, it was too expensive to use Blue every day, and I also knew, once I had good equipment, vaping would probably save me money while still tasting good.

It took me a while, and maybe I wanted to switch more than your friend. I helped my SIL get started, but she wanted to switch as much as I did. We helped each other, gave advice on what was or wasn't working.

I guess I feel like MalkinMania - I'd love to be of help, but only if they're serious. I can't deal with excuses.

MalkinMania71

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2014
PA
It definitely is a trial and error process but I was hooked when I first got my package in the mail. It just becomes tedious when you know they aren't giving it their best effort. I had one friend that vaped and I ordered the same thing she has so I would know someone to ask questions but I spend most of my time on this forum if I have questions than bothering her all the time. I have also did alot on my research on the internet.

xpl0it

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 2, 2013
Miami, FL
It's a matter of personal drive and determination.

My wife is not technically or mechanically inclined. However she has helped dozens of friends and even recently was able to take what I taught her and hook her mother (67 yrs old) up with everything she needed within two days without any assistance.

Using Ego-C Twists w/ EVOD tanks. Even managed to get her hooked on cartomizer(s) and their respective tanks which add an extra level of difficulty for beginning vapers.

EDIT: Your friend always has the option of cig-a-likes. Which are about as simple as you can possibly get. Vape and then throw away. Not recommended but if it helps someone transition away from smoking I'll support it.

Last edited:

Tinkiegrrl

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 18, 2013
New York, NY
I converted my husband and my sister successfully. However, it took quite a bit of work to do it. My husband would still be smoking if I wasn't living with him and maintaining his equipment for him. My sister kept going back to cigarettes the moment anything went wrong with her set up, and I live about an hour and a half away from her, so it's been harder with her. Neither my husband or my sister like to tinker with gadgets like I do. I'll continue on about my sister though, as my husband is just lucky to have me to do the troubleshooting for him.

I got my sister started on the same starter set that I used. iVape.net's variable volt, 650 mAh, ego style, passthrough express starter kit that came in a blister pack with a plastic, bottom coil clearo. They have since upgraded the kit with an actual Evod, rather then one that only took Evod coils. It's a great, simple, starter kit with a lot of features for $14.95. The only drawback is that it only comes with one set up, and I always recommend that someone start out with two. So really, the kit cost $30 because I insisted that she needed to have two of them. It's still a great price for all that it does. I prefer to recommend that a new vaper start out with a bottom coil clearo, as those seem to be simpler to maintain. I prefer the taste from top coil clearos like the iClear 16, but in my experience, top coil clearos leave more room for user error then bottom coils. Also, with a bottom coil, a newbie can keep the liquid in the tank as they switch out their coils, which saves on e-liquid until they can build up their supply. I also prefer to recommend a variable volt battery, which came in handy when I first switched. I found myself cranking up the power to vape my way through stronger cigarette cravings. This allowed me to keep my e-liquid at 18 mg nic level, rather then buying juice at varying levels and needing to keep a clearo filled with a higher one.

My sister is not tech friendly, so there was a rather lengthy tutorial when she got her equipment via text. I even sent her pics as I was teaching her. We live a fair distance apart, so I couldn't just pop in to show her. I also directed her to various youtube videos on dry burning Protank coils. It's helpful to pick a clearo that has been out for a while, or uses the coils of a clearo that has been out for a while due to the number of tutorials around the web on them. Still, she didn't quite understand, and within two weeks she was back to smoking cigarettes as her coils gunked up and stopped working. Also, this was before ivape upgraded that kit to include actual Evods, and the original clearos were pretty cheap and poorly made. The plastic started coming apart from the metal in the base from one of them. Also, there was a slight learning curve to selecting the next voltage setting on her batteries. It was a 5 click to the next setting to allow for the passthrough feature on the bottom, rather then an easier dial on the bottom. However, as the fire button changes color when the next setting is selected she soon figured that all out.

Eventually I did make it to visit her after she went back to smoking. I then gave her one of my Mini Protanks to use, a pile of replacement coils so she didn't have to worry about dry burning and cleaning them, and gave her a hands on lesson along with some better juice then she currently had (she started vaping right after I started, so I was still learning myself!). This worked longer for her. At least until she lost one set up and the other one started to act up. It wound up that she got a dud coil, but rather then change what she thought was a perfectly good, brand new coil, she decided the battery was broken and went back to smoking AGAIN. This time, my mother called me (she's a student and still living at my parents) and clued me in. I had to trek back out there again, and get her back up and running.

This time, I had started looking into cigalike set ups, which are a ton easier to handle. I got my husband a Smokeless Image starter kit with a personal charging case for his baseball games. He was a little embarrassed to whip out his iTaste VV v3 in front of his friends. I also picked up a few other 808D-1 batteries for myself, as my stealth vape set up. All I had were 2 MVP's at that point, and there's nothing stealthy about those. I brought a couple out to my sister, got her a personal charging case for them, and some prefilled and blank cartos. I also got her remaining ego up and running. This way, she had a very simple and easy to use back up system available for her to fall back on when she couldn't figure out her ego. For the less then tech savvy, I recommend they get a cigalike along with an eGo for the same reasons now. It's a simple screw on the carto and take a drag set up. Smokeless Image, Halo and Bloog are some of my top recommendations in this category. I also love Bedford Slims, which have a unique little light up mustache on the ends. While reasonably priced at $10 per battery however, they aren't sealed batteries like Smokeless Image. For a newbie, I recommend only using prefilled cartos for unsealed auto batteries.

We made a deal before I gave her all this new equipment. The deal was that I'd ship her the juice I didn't fall in love with and keep her supplied with coils for a while until she graduated beauty school and was able to get a job (she's near to graduation). Within reason of course. She would no longer fall back on cigarettes, and would call me with issues BEFORE she didn't have a choice. My mother agreed to call me if she cheated. It's finally working. She recently had her one month anniversary for quitting smoking. She finally made that final decision to really quit smoking when she made that deal with me, and as a result, figured out how to clean and maintain her coils along with how to refill her blank cartos. Unfortunately, I do think that someone stole her ego set up though. She lost it at school and has been relying on her cigalikes for the last week or so. Even with only those though, she's managed to get by without a cigarette! She's keeping her end of the deal.

I just sent her my Petal MVP last week, to celebrate her one month anniversary and replace the stolen eGo. I also sent her a few more difficult tanks to deal with, but produce way better vapor. The original iClear 16b in Petal that came with the MVP, an iClear 30b and an Aspire BDC ET-S. I also sent any remaining coils I had for the clearos, as both my husband and I have switched to cartotanks and rebuildables. She's doing well with it all so far, and even when she isn't she has those nearly error proof cigalikes to fall back on. She even now understands the difference between watts and volts and what those functions are for on the MVP.

fraychek

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 27, 2014
Orlando, FL
Well, I started all by my lonesome with a Joytech eCab kit and the one bottle of menthol flavor juice (I was smoking Capri blue 120's) that came with it. It was easy to set up and use. I did order extra batteries and burners and 2 more juice flavors. I would describe it as kind of a dripper/atomizer hybrid. I never picked up another cigarette and was happy with that set-up for more than a year. I moved slightly up to Evod batts and tanks when my grandson brought home an Evod kit he purchased at a newly opened B&M nearby. After I began lurking on this forum I got an MPV2 and some mini PT2's and figured out that I could recoil and save myself a few bucks. It's been an easy transition for me. I am 70 years old and fairly lazy, but tech savvy and with a jewelry making hobby (experience with working with wire). It's only complicated to get into this if you're not motivated, and I was.

p7willm

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 11, 2014
Lansdale, PA, USA
You didn't mention where she got it. My recommendation is to get started in a friendly, close by B&M store. It's a nice place to start and if it does cost a little more you are getting a lot more than a package in the mail.

The shop by me is always friendly to a potential vaper. They spend whatever time is required to answer whatever questions and they show how to do everything. I've seen people come in the next day with problems and again the staff will sit and answer questions and show how to use the stuff. I've seen them recommend against complex, and a lot more expensive, stuff for a simple setup.

It may cost more but when there is something wrong when you take it out of the box they just replace it, no hassle. They built my first coil and looked at coils I built and offered hints and advice.

It's nice to sit and sample the juice they sell. Get an idea of the types I like and then try similar ones from the net and end up liking some from the net and some from the store.

All in all almost as nice a place as here. ;-}

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread