Are any affordable 4.35v batteries still available?

mattrix

ECF Veteran
Jun 30, 2013
AU
I have been sorting through my batteries, some have started to not hold much charge.

I noted that 2 that are still serviceable were amongst the first that I bought.
They are sanyo ICR 4.35v batteries (orange wrap).

Obviously they have never been fully charged as my chargers only go to 4.25v, and I think that is why they are still going.
ICR is fine for me, I use 1ohm coils (give or take) at about 10W (give or take), so drawing less than 4A.

But I can't seem to find any affordable options, everyone has gone to IMR with 30A draw.

Reactions: ShowMeTwice

englishmick

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2014
Naptown, Indiana
I have at times contemplated charging my 4.2V batteries to only 4.1V to extend their life, but with good batteries costing ~$5 each and each set lasting me several years, I don't see any point in doing that.
I started doing that once after I read some tech reports. Didn't keep it up for long, for the same reason you mentioned.

mattrix

ECF Veteran
Jun 30, 2013
AU
I have at times contemplated charging my 4.2V batteries to only 4.1V to extend their life, but with good batteries costing ~$5 each

Not sure that is why mine lasted, but since getting them, I have bought and tossed Panasonics, LGs and samsungs.
Here in AUS newer batteries are more like $15 a pop, and you have to replace them more often.

Last edited:

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    Oh yeah. Batteries are cheaper here in the USA if you buy from battery retailers instead of vape retailers. Not uncommon to get a good battery for $4-8. Of course you have to pay shipping but that's why you buy more than just 1 or 2 at a pop. End cost ends up maybe $6-10 bucks per if you only buy say 4. Still a good price.

ShowMeTwice

Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Jun 28, 2016
    the Universe
    Last I looked most US battery shops don't ship to AUS.
    Just checked Lion, IMR and 18650battery and they only ship internationally to Canada.

@Daniel Forsyth @Pigs

Mattrix is also in OZ, what online stores are you guys buying your batteries from?

Thank you !!! :)

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    Last I looked most US battery shops don't ship to AUS.

Sorry, I didn't mean for you to buy from a US site. Shipping costs would kill the deal.

There's an AU vape forum I've seen before. You should google for it. They might be able to help with where to buy batts online in AU. There's also a subreddit called aussievapers.

Also, I found this AU battery store. There are others.

Pigs

Vaping
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Jun 7, 2019
    Sydney Australia
    @Daniel Forsyth @Pigs

Mattrix is also in OZ, what online stores are you guys buying your batteries from?

Hey SMT.
    @mattrix I've always done the same - added batteries to orders from local online retailers when the price was right.
    I didn't know about the Tinker store that UncleJunkle linked but have saved it. Prices there are cheaper than any I've seen.

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    I didn't know about the Tinker store that UncleJunkle linked but have saved it.

I found that site recommended on the r/Brisbane subreddit.

Prices there are cheaper than any I've seen.

Battery retailers usually are much cheaper than vape retailers. At least that's the way it is for US sites.

Daniel Forsyth

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
  • Mar 26, 2019
    Victoria, Australia
    @Daniel Forsyth @Pigs

I haven't purchased any batteries since I started using lipo mods. Which is quite some time now Mate! Pigs is the man to ask on this one and it looks like he has already popped in and said hello :thumb: ,

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 14, 2013
    SE PA
    Just checked Lion, IMR and 18650battery and they only ship internationally to Canada.
    That's because they can specify ground shipping to Canada. Air-shipping of batteries gets real complicated, if it can be done at all, and nobody would want to wait for a package to get to the antipodes by boat these days anyway.

• Agree
    Reactions: mattrix

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    Thank you for your assistances.

The original topic was more "what" to look for than "where" to look.
    But I don't want to pay more than I would for a say, a sumsung 25R or similar.
    I thought I found some, specs were incomplete, but they were 3 times the price.

Right, but it looks like you're chasing a unicorn at this point. Those 4.35v batts are not common and therefore expensive if you can even find them. You're just gonna have to go with a 4.2v batt like the rest of us. Besides, if you do find one for sale to end user, good chance it may be very old stock anyhow.

The good news is that you don't have to get a high amp, lower mAh battery since you said you vape at 4A or less. You can go with lower amp, higher mAh. Some people buy the high amp batts even if they don't need them only because they don't want to deal with figuring out what's best for them. So they go with the flow and just buy a Samsung 25R or Molicel P28a or P26a.

You don't have to do that.

Sanyo NCR18650GA - 10A, 3300mAh Mooch Test Link

Last edited:

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    BTW: There's other reasons people just go with the higher amp batts even if they don't need to. Take me for instance: I vape different ways at different wattages and therefore I'm pulling different amps. So instead of having different batteries for different styles of vaping, I just buy the higher amp ones like Molicel P28a. I don't care if I have to change my batts more often when I'm vaping at <5 amp. I just wanna keep my battery stock simple and not have to keep track of which one's are which after I rewrap them. I like KISS.

mattrix

ECF Veteran
    Jun 30, 2013
    AU
    Thank youUncleJunkle,

it looks like you're chasing a unicorn at those point. Those 4.35v batts are not common
    It is a lot of faffing around chasing specs for every battery I see.
    I didn't know if they were available or not.
    If they are unicorns I can give up looking.

So they go with the flow and just buy a Samsung 25R or Molicel P28a or P26a.
    That is the way I tend to go, as they are easier to get and cheaper.

Last edited:

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    If they are unicorns I'll give up looking.

I did a fair amount of looking around since you posted this thread. As far as I can see, those 4.35v batts aren't available to the public, if they are even still manufactured. I think I might have found one site that claimed to have them but it was iffy and in the USA, which means the cost for you would be even more outrageous assuming they would even ship to you. But I can't for the life of me find that site now. So I definitely call hat a unicorn lol.

No biggie, you have options assuming that AU site I linked to is reliable as I read it was.

Users who are viewing this thread