Apollo "V Tube" questions...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drewps5co0tt

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2011
Hey everyone, I have a few questions about Apollo's "lavatube" version (or is it the other way around lol?)...it's so confusing! Anyways...

I had purchased Volcano's version back in May and didn't like the build quality at all! The tube itself was nice and solid, the click button was great indeed (more on that in a bit) but I had major issues with the 510 connector being crooked and not straight (I had it exchanged like 3 times and all 3 units had crooked 510 connectors) and I also hated the LCD/LED screen cover...it's reallly flimsly plastic and if you push on it it will move in and out and it just looks really cheap...it's like no thought went into the design of the cover at all. Other than that, the device worked and did what it was suppose to do but I just couldn't get over the cheap feeling with regards to the issues just mentioned. So I sold it and bought a ProVari...

You would think I would be set for life with this thing, not so! While everything with the ProVari is excellent I have one complaint that I can't seem to get passed...the button is NOT "clicky" and I seriously miss the clicks from pressing and releasing the button. In fact I miss it SO MUCH that I'm seriously considering selling my ProVari (as crazy as that sounds) and going back to a "Lavatube" version because of it.

But I have a few questions I'm hoping someone can help me out on here cause I'm a bit confused (as usual:)

1.) Apollo's site says you have to use a flat top battery, is this really the case? They don't seem to sell AW IMR batteries and that's the battery I prefer to use. Can the battery be a nipple tip like the one that the genuine "Lavatube" uses or must it be flat? If not I don't get what the difference is if it's the same device. Also some 18650 batteries have one mah rating while another has another rating, what is the highest mah that I can use with this?

2.) Trying to decide again on the regular size device or the mini device. Besides smaller battery and the unit itself being smaller in length, are there any other differences?

3.) What do you guys think my luck will be with regards to the 510 connector actually being installed properly and being straight? Apollo assured me this would not be an issue but I'm a bit skeptical because of it's being made in China (there is no quality control.)

4.) Would you all recommend that I wait and check out Volcano's Lavatube (version 2) that is upcoming before making any decisions here? I saw the device a few weeks ago on youtube from Joe Volcano doing a video blog at one of the vape meetings in FL. I wasn't crazy about the "bump design" but I have no problem holding back judgement until it's been released and I can really check it out.

Thanks for your help.

Sad Society

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 5, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
1)BATTERIES -- The Lavatube or Vtube, or whatever you want to call it holds a true 65mm (mililiter) battery. So any 18650 battery that measures longer than 65mm is too long. It can have a nipple on top, that part really doesn't matter...as long as its a true 65mm battery. As far as mAh ratings go...the higher the mAh rating, the longer the battery will last. Right now one of the best batteries for the LT is the Panasonic CGR18650CH, rated at 2250mAh. That's what I use and many will argue that it's better than AW. And they are cheaper. Here is a link Panasonic CGR18650CH 2250mAh

2) I don't own a mini LT. But from what I've read, it's just the same as the regular, only smaller. And with smaller batteries comes smaller time frames before you have to charge the batteries again.

3) I own 2 Vtubes that came from Apollo, and both connections were straight. They were sent in two different orders. One of my Vtubes from Apollo is the Stainless Steel Vtube. And it's really nice. No plastice nubs on this one. If you are serious about having a Vtube that will last a long time. Go with the SS version that they sell. The chrome ones look just like SS ones. But I had another mod that was chrome plated and after a year of heavy use the chrome was peeling off.

4) LAVATUBE VERSIONS -- There are other threads in the LT section about this. I'm happy with the first version, and I don't own any other versions so maybe someone else can respond on this question. But there are other vendors that are selling other versions that are supposedly more updated with better internals. Here's a link of one, and it has NO plastic nubs. NEW Varitube X - Black - Full Kit | MODS | iVAPE

Hope this helps.

Drewps5co0tt

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2011
Sad I hope my questions don't annoy you (as your originally commented before editing your post about answering other questions of mine:)

So what is the difference between a nipple tip head battery and a flat top head battery? Can't tell if that panny you linked was a nipple of flat, reason why I'm asking is Apollo also doesn't sell nipple tipped batteries with their devices, they are all flat headed. I wanted to know what the difference was between the two and you said it's ok to use either?

As far as stainless steel goes, I really don't like the look of all stainless, I prefer stainless as an accessorry color, not a main color...the main color of my device needs to be black. That means I have to deal with plastic caps then, but I'm thinking about waiting to see Volcano's new LT (version 2) that is coming out in a few weeks anyways so I might wait and hold off until that is released to decide.

new kid

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 2, 2012
Iowa City Area
I'm loving my SS Vtube from Apollo. To me it seems solidly built and not flimsy at all. Very nice unit!

I got my first Tube from Apollo today. No problems with the post, straight as can be. I'm to new to be able to compare it to any other vv tube. But...I will probably order a second one tonight for my wife. She has PV Envy :)

Pappy

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 15, 2012
Dallas, Tx
I was told by an Apollo rep that you HAVE to use the flat top batteries because the button top ones are too long and will be too tight of a fit in the VTube. I measured my flat top ones that I got from Apollo and, yep, they are 65mm. I suspect the button adds another mm or so.

Batteries are cheap, so I would rather buy a couple of extra batteries than risk fouling the VTube by trying to use a battery that was too long. I'm expecting delivery of 2 of the Panasonics that Sad Society linked above. Those are supposed to be really good batteries. Not very expensive, and free shipping. What's not to like?

Drewps5co0tt

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2011
Pappy,

I was told that using batteries with a flat head are "dumb batteries", whatever that means? LOL, so in other words you are telling me that a nipple tip battery would not fit correctly as far as the bottom cap screwing on properly? If so that's fine but I'd like a better understanding of what a "dumb battery" means if anyone here has any idea.

Pappy

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 15, 2012
Dallas, Tx
Pappy,

I was told that using batteries with a flat head are "dumb batteries", whatever that means? LOL, so in other words you are telling me that a nipple tip battery would not fit correctly as far as the bottom cap screwing on properly? If so that's fine but I'd like a better understanding of what a "dumb battery" means if anyone here has any idea.

All I know is what the Apollo customer service rep told me. I was having trouble with the battery charger that came with my VTube. I mentioned that the batteries that came with the VTube were the flat top batteries and I wanted to make sure that was the correct type. And he said yes, and that's when he told me about the button top ones being too long.

I can tell you that the end cap on my VTube doesn't feel like there's much pressure on the spring when I screw it on, so there MIGHT be room in there for a button top battery. When/if you get your VTube, you could try it and see if you've already got an 18650 button top laying around.

NGIB

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 27, 2012
Hinesville, GA
IMR batteries are safe chemistry and need no protection circuit. ICR batteries do need a protection circuit. The circuit is a flat circuit board that's bonded to the negative battery terminal. The circuit board adds to the overall length of the battery and can cause problems in "tight" housings. I modified the bottom cap of my VTube to allow me to use any battery that's "about" the right length.

I think when the OP heard about "dumb" batteries it refers to IMRs that do not need a protection circuit...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread