Anyone Live Near Williamsburg, VA?

Status
Not open for further replies.

angelique510

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
I am hoping to make some friends and contacts down there. :) We plan on moving there this summer, and any helpful advice about living in the area would be greatly appreciated. The area meaning Williamsburg proper, James City County, York County, Hampton Rodes, Maybe Newport, Gloucester or even Surry - basically anyplace within a 30 min drive to the colonial district or Yorktown Village. I can tell you all about the history and the archetecture of the Colonial period, but as far as housing for normal income people, and daily living there in the 21st century, I am clueless.

We escaped from NE Ohio in '07 and only made it as far as Waynesboro. The only people we knew down here were our SCA friends that we met online. Waynesboro is a very nice, quiet little town, and was exactly what we needed after Akron, but now we're kind of bored. We go down to the Peninsula as often as we can. We are huge history geeks. It has been about two months since we have been there, so I am thinking a trip in the next week or two is in order.

Now that the two oldest kids are moving out, we can manage in a smaller house, so we should be able to afford to live down there. What are the decent but cheap neighborhoods, and where should we avoid? Do you know any good apartments or landlords who take pets? What are the good places for non-tourists to shop? Not like I don't know the Walmart on Rochambeau very well - many 2am stops there. LOL

Plus, I'd just like to get to know some people so we have someone to hang out with when we do get down there. Somebody to play cards, shoot pool, toss darts with, or just hang out. Are there any other girls who like to browse thrift stores? I have seen several down there that I would ove to check out, but my husband is not someone who enjoys shopping.

So if you are a future neighbor, please say hi :)

~A

Mac

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 5, 2009
All up in your grill..
Avoid: the entire city of portsmouth. Be careful in newport news or hampton. Nicer but cheap = chesapeake or norfolk. Williamsburg and VA Beach = very nice but pricey. One of the main thing's that attracted me to this area is the local music scene. Whether you are into thrash metal or jazz. There is always a local show that you can atend for 10-20 bucks. In the summer this place jumps off and the nightlife becomes amazing. Dozens of concerts from every genre waiting around almost every corner. Careful not to swear in public if you are in virginia beach proper. Using profanity there is an arrestable offense. One spot in VA Beach worth checking out is the ARE Edgar Cayce' s A.R.E.

Slickstick

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
I would suggest Yorktown area.
Hampton is ok, but pricey.
There are many affordable apartments in Yorktown, as well as many places to tour and visit.
It's also not far from Colonial Williamsburg. Pottery, Busch Gardens (roller coasters), Water Country USA, and Great Wolf Lodge (Indoor water park).
It's half way between the beautiful Virginia beach and Richmond.
They really cleaned their act up at Virginia Beach. I think they even have Myrtle Beach beaten at this point.
The only thing to ever happen on the other side of the river by ferry was Sunken/Sunny meadow near surry/newport news. It was a pay to enter small beach with store pool tables jukebox and trailer homes but a hurricane took it all out. Nothing to do there at all.

Yorktown is probably your best bet.

angelique510

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Thanks guys. I've been busy calling apartments in the area. What's the deal with dogs only up to 25 pounds?? It drives me nuts. But I have a few good leads - in Williamsburg proper as a matter of fact.

Too bad I misssed the vape in in Richmond recently. When I get down there we're going to have to have a Peninsula Vapers get together :)

I'm sending you a PM Atomsk.

~A

pseudus

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 1, 2010
Winston-Salem, NC
www.pseudus.com
I grew up in Virginia Beach, and worked in both Portsmouth and Hampton. You wanna live in Yorktown or Williamsburg proper if you are working in Colonial Williamsburg. I know quite a bit about the area, an the post above me lives there. I currently live in NC, but I am in Virginia Beach a couple times a month. If you have in specific questions or whatever PM me. Good luck with your move and what not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread