Status
Not open for further replies.

Rickajho

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 23, 2011
Boston MA
I'm wondering about this. We all know the rules about not charging at a current level higher than the battery's rated capacity. But is there any advantage to charging at low current levels?

I have an xtar VP1 with selectable charging current: 250, 500 or 1,000 mA. Is it better (or worse for that matter) to charge high capacity batteries (2,000 mAh and up) at only 250 mA? Not concerned about the obvious added time, just wondering if it's beneficial or not to charge lithium batteries at relatively low current.

Anyone know?

Switched

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2010
Dartmouth, NS Canada
I'm wondering about this. We all know the rules about not charging at a current level higher than the battery's rated capacity. But is there any advantage to charging at low current levels?

I have an Xtar VP1 with selectable charging current: 250, 500 or 1,000 mA. Is it better (or worse for that matter) to charge high capacity batteries (2,000 mAh and up) at only 250 mA? Not concerned about the obvious added time, just wondering if it's beneficial or not to charge lithium batteries at relatively low current.

Anyone know?
The slower the better. Battery University :)

WarHawk-AVG

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 27, 2013
H-Town

I have an Xtar VP1 with selectable charging current: 250, 500 or 1,000 mA. Is it better (or worse for that matter) to charge high capacity batteries (2,000 mAh and up) at only 250 mA? Not concerned about the obvious added time, just wondering if it's beneficial or not to charge lithium batteries at relatively low current.

Anyone know?

Li Ion design is for low current charging, then the ability to DUMP said charge VERY VERY fast

Charging Lithium-Ion Batteries

How to Prolong Lithium-based Batteries - Battery University

Stressing the battery (aka high heat due to high current) is what reduces the charge cycle lifetime

Fast and Ultra-fast Chargers - Battery University
Charging and discharging Li-ion above 1C reduces service life. Use a slower charge and discharge if possible. This applies to most batteries.

Although the battery performs best at a gentle rate of 1C and less, we must keep in mind that some applications require high charge and discharge rates, and the user must take shorter life expectation into account. If full cycles with rapid charge and discharge are the norm, consider using a larger battery. This will not only provide more reserve capacity but it will also lower the C-rate in that a given charge and discharge current is less intrusive on the larger pack. An analogy can be made with an underpowered engine pulling a large vehicle; the stress is too large and the engine will not last.

This could also be one of the contributing factors on why eGo style fixed batteries don't last as long...pushing 420mA vs a gently but very long 120mA could reduce the overall charge cycle life...thus the dreaded "It worked great for a few months now it won't charge anymore" reports

Last edited:

WarHawk-AVG

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 27, 2013
H-Town
Thanks, WarHawk. That answers more questions than you would believe.

ETA: I just checked both my ego dongles. 420mAh each. Should I be tracking down something lower?
You can use the cigalike 120mA-150mA chargers...(it will take quite a bit longer to charge)

I am just making a guess on the recharge cycle life of the eGo's...based upon the above research...I do know that not fully discharging the batteries (aka the low voltage flashing before recharge) extends the life of Li Ion considerably thus the mantra of backups for your backups of your backups, use em then recharge em in cycles, it's how I charge my Vamo batts

Switched

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2010
Dartmouth, NS Canada
Li Ion design is for low current charging, then the ability to DUMP said charge VERY VERY fast

Charging Lithium-Ion Batteries

How to Prolong Lithium-based Batteries - Battery University

Stressing the battery (aka high heat due to high current) is what reduces the charge cycle lifetime

Fast and Ultra-fast Chargers - Battery University

This could also be one of the contributing factors on why eGo style fixed batteries don't last as long...pushing 420mA vs a gently but very long 120mA could reduce the overall charge cycle life...thus the dreaded "It worked great for a few months now it won't charge anymore" reports

Good post :)

OTOH not all eGo batteries are created equal. Nothing wrong charging the cells at 420mA it is 1/2 or more than the battery's capacity. Charging 1000mAh cell at 120mA (6-8hrs) promotes charging batteries unattended, not a good thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread