Any Audiophiles out there

Status
Not open for further replies.

Audionut02

ECF Veteran
Aug 23, 2012
Hamilton
Hey guys. This is my first post in the "Lounge". Just curious if there are any others that are into audio/video that want to chat and learn. I kinda hate the word audiophile as it suggests some kind of "elite way" to enjoy the sound of music.

I do like the idea that any setup that someone considers music to sound good on, and is compassionate about it makes it all worth it regardless of price.

A bit of background. I was a PAD smoker who loved the idea of tweaking, listening, tweaking, loving the sound, then running out for a smoke as the song played. Well what was the point of that. I could faintly hear the music playing and saying to myself "bet that sounds good"

I quickly found myself enjoying my Ego Twists while listening, having a drink, not moving from the sweet spot. :D

Within the last year or so I got into Tubes and Vintage. Refinishing veneers for older Yamaha's or Fishers and swapping tubes as quick as I do tanks. (surprisingly there is a very close resemblance to the two).

Anyways. Enough about me. Any others who love to vape and listen?

ckone180

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 22, 2012
Charlotte, NC
I do. I am not an "audiophile" that believes a lot of the higher cables mean better sound. I do enjoy great sound quality, and mostly DIY. My real start came from constructing a theater in my basement. After hearing some Jamo floor standers with a Def Tech sub while watching a movie I thought, "this is cool, but could be better."

My next move went straight to building a tapped horn sub and an Eminence 15" driver. That made the Jamo speakers sound pitiful. Next move was to go larger with some Def Techs. Now I'm planning my SEOS wave guide speakers to run the front 3, while leaving the remaining 4 surrounds in place.

I run music in stereo, no processing using a Crown amplifier. I have tried quite a bit of amps, and to me they do not alter any sound except when they are not capable of delivering the power I'm trying to get out of them.

I guess I started to ramble on, sorry!

Audionut02

ECF Veteran
Aug 23, 2012
Hamilton
I do. I am not an "audiophile" that believes a lot of the higher cables mean better sound. I do enjoy great sound quality, and mostly DIY. My real start came from constructing a theater in my basement. After hearing some Jamo floor standers with a Def Tech sub while watching a movie I thought, "this is cool, but could be better."

My next move went straight to building a tapped horn sub and an Eminence 15" driver. That made the Jamo speakers sound pitiful. Next move was to go larger with some Def Techs. Now I'm planning my SEOS wave guide speakers to run the front 3, while leaving the remaining 4 surrounds in place.

I run music in stereo, no processing using a Crown amplifier. I have tried quite a bit of amps, and to me they do not alter any sound except when they are not capable of delivering the power I'm trying to get out of them.

I guess I started to ramble on, sorry!

No rambling at all. I love DIY. Have made tons of it myself. Projector screen, acoustical panels, cables (power, ICs, speakers cables), risers for subs, speakers, amps, etc... I could go rambling too.:D

I have JBL's and Paradigm for the HT. I haven't used this setup in months.

Loving an integrated Tube amp (Yaqin) with a Grant Fidelity DAC 11 for digital lossless music. JVC QLA7 TT for analogue.

How about we start some pics.

James Hart

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 15, 2010
toms_river.nj.us
www.myselfalone.com
I grew up listening to all sorts of music, many musicians and music fans in my family. Most of my family as well as my wife prefer to turn on the radio before the TV. I am a musician and listen and play music everyday. I've never considered myself an audiophile, but I've been able to piece together systems that sound good to me. Since about y2k, I've ripped all my music to my computer (320 bit max Variable bit rate MP3... I'm a rock musician since a young teen, my ears cannot hear the difference between lossless and a GOOD Mp3 rip). I have a 'Digital Audio Workstation' grade sound card as the source for a 70s Sony receiver (70 WPC) plugged into an M&K Goliath II sub with a pair of Koss M-80 bookshelf speakers. Prior to moving to the 2.1 setup, I used a pair of Ohm Walsh 2XO speakers. Currently I am building a home studio/listening room and have picked up a 100WPC studio power amp and will most likely order a pair of Bag End M-6 near field monitors (I'm an Endorsing Artist with Bag End) for mixing, but use a speaker switch between them and the Koss/M&K set up.

When not at home, I use a nice pair of phillips ear buds connected to my Samsung Galaxy S2 and listen to my home music collection via Subsonic » Free Music Streamer

ckone180

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 22, 2012
Charlotte, NC
Anyone here find XFactor too polished? One thing I didn't like about American Idol was the poor sound, the XFactor went way too far, IMO. Seems like The Voice is about as good as it gets.

I am still looking for a good streaming source for music, because the ones I've tried so far have this digitized sound in the background. Kind of a hollow sound. Pandora is the best I've found :(

Audionut02

ECF Veteran
Aug 23, 2012
Hamilton
I do appreciate good quality audio. mostly a headphone guy though. i would like to get a full sized cans too but for now my Shur SE535 IEMs have to do.

Anyone here find XFactor too polished? One thing I didn't like about American Idol was the poor sound, the XFactor went way too far, IMO. Seems like The Voice is about as good as it gets.

I am still looking for a good streaming source for music, because the ones I've tried so far have this digitized sound in the background. Kind of a hollow sound. Pandora is the best I've found :(

Wow. I start a thread and don't reply. :oops:

@ Dan: I never really used cans all that much but last year jumped on a pair of Monoprice 8323's that I read on a forum were a killer deal for 20 bucks. I know 20 bucks? They were 100 which is still nothing really but these things sound pretty cool. I just checked the site again and they are going for 22 bucks now. Cant beat it just to try them out.

@ckone: Dont watch XFactor or American Idol. At least dont pay attention to it when its on it the background. LOL.

Haven't tried Pandora yet. I picked up a Grant Fidelity DAC and use that with a laptop using Kernal on Foobar. I actually spent a few hours enjoying some tunes last night. First time in a month since getting on ECF.

Black Strat

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 8, 2012
Idaho
Most people don't even realize they truly do know what "good" sounds like. You can have an awesome guitarist who plays through crappy effects and a solid state amp and you can only stand to listen so long. Find a less capable guitar player with top quality analog effects in the right signal chain and playing through a tube amp and aaaaahhhh, pleasant to listen to!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread