Antidepressants and Quitting

Status
Not open for further replies.

rejoice

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 30, 2008
USA KY
I wonder how many that has quit analogs easy using ecigs are on a antidepressant.
I have been vaping for near a year now and still cannot give up analogs.
I have to have a few a day.
I have tried the high nic level and still cannot. I vape using the HV and still cannot.

I may need to get me some antidepressants. Wondering which one will work with low side effects? Thinking may try the SAM-e

I would love to see a poll on this.

Last edited:

Madame Psychosis

ECF Veteran
Nov 18, 2009
East Coast Gypsy
I wonder how many that has quit analogs easy using ecigs are on a antidepressant.
I have been vaping for near a year now and still cannot give up analogs.
I have to have a few a day.
I have tried the high nic level and still cannot. I vape using the HV and still cannot.

I may need to get me some antidepressants. Wondering which one will work with low side effects? Thinking may try the SAM-e

I would love to see a poll on this.
Actually, I think those who are on an antidepressant probably have as hard a time as those who aren't.
It means we were probably using tobacco as an antidepressant as well, and nicotine alone doesn't provide the whole alkaloids present in tobacco (including the mild MAOIs).
Others who notice major, on-going mood problems when quitting were probably using tobacco as an antidepressant without being aware of it as such. An antidepressant might (read, might) help them. That's one of the reasons Wellbutrin works.

Granted, I couldn't imagine quitting at all before I went on an MAOI. But MAOIs are rarely prescribed nowadays because of the risks.

SAM-e is expensive and there are only a few studies supporting it. It was OK for me when I didn't have insurance for a while, but didn't do enough. And I kept smoking same as usual, for what it's worth. (If you do try it, get it in blister packs as it degrades quickly, the bottle stuff is useless. Some people need 1600mg to feel any effect, so that becomes very pricey, very quickly.)

I'm going to try snus, personally (look under Other Alternatives to Smoking or somesuch subforum here). It's much safer than cigs or dip and provides the whole alkaloids.

I am sorry you are not doing well, though. It's a difficult path.

a2dcovert

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2009
Louisiana
Well I was taking cymbalta when I first quit, it didn't help. I'm now taking Pristiq and it is not helping. I am planning a trip to another doctor to see if there is anything else I can try.

In 2004 I was put on Welbutrin XL and it was supposed to be the top quit smoking anti-depressant at that time. It didn't do anything for me then. Chantix is actually an anti-depressant and the side effects are radical in some people.

One of the biggest problems for me in quitting is the depression. I can lick the habit part with little problems. It's the depression that is the big issue for me. It has nothing to do with weak will power. It's all about the chemical imbalance caused by the cessation of some unknown chemical that we get from smoking.

bestthingever

ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2010
Birmingham, AL
Very interesting thread ! I've had similar thoughts that without analogs, some folks might do well to talk w/their doc about an anti-depressant.
On a side note, I took Effexor XR for years. It worked very well for me, and when I decided I didn't want to take it anymore (because I'd lost my health ins. and couldn't afford it), I talked to my doc, who weaned me off of it in about 3 months. No problems at all. Guess I was lucky.

donnellyk

ECF Veteran
Oct 1, 2009
Florida
Drawn to this thread...hmmm... So I've been on Effexor in the past and found the beginning and ending 2 weeks very mind alteringly shaky. I did better on this drug than most others once "into" it but have always disliked the idea of pharmaceuticals and their side effects. I am in recovery from drugs/alcohol going on 16 years and am now a counselor...as the years went by in my recovery I became more "stable" with what appears to be a mild anxiety disorder.

Since quitting on e-ciggs 4 months ago I became concerned about this newfound "energy", a sort of obvious hyperactive-ish-ness. Initially I liked this, along with clearing lungs and sinuses, then I became concerned when my anxiety skyrocketed. I adjusted my nic amounts, finally settling on 24mg and occasionally a little 36 mg when I don't have the leisure to vape longer...

So I seem to have settled down now at 4 months in and though not coming across all manic (I was worried that I was escalating and it may affect my work) I find that I am vaping an awful lot, almost chasing/searching for that "calm" someone mentioned earlier...

I have read the thread on "Nicotine, are we getting it or not" and believe
I am taking in (by vaping so much) pretty darn close to what I was smoking at 2 packs/day of Mlb 100's... Purposely I do not go to higher levels of nic too often because though I get the nic fix, my anxiety is higher than is comfortable to carry all day.

I would like to try an herbal alternative for anxiety (valerian stinks too much!) and am anxious (!) to try the passionflower. Currently I am trying Dong Quai and Tumeric for a few other issues which I am liking so far...supposedly the Dong Quai has anti-anxiety properties as well, any takers?

I really am grateful I no longer suffer some of the mental health issues I did in the past and that my increased anxiety initially with eciggs has died down somewhat...I really am in pretty good shape and have had no desire for an analog but think that an MAOI alternative might "take the edge off" and perhaps I may vape less like a maniac and be more comfortable in my own skin...

It is comforting to read one is not alone in their experiences of increased anxiety. I have been so excited to have quit analogs but have not been able to put a finger on "what's wrong with me" and had been "giving it more time"...I'm better but still searching...analog-less!!! :thumbs:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread