--Another Darwin Review--

Status
Not open for further replies.

ClayK

ECF Veteran
Apr 3, 2011
VA
Let me preface this review: most of the content validates what has already been discussed ad nauseum. There are some items in this review/opinion that are solely my own opinion and YMMV (Your Mileage May Vary). Also, I am merely another person in this hobby/addiction/whatever. I am not a paid spokesperson for any vendor or company. I am a Field Rep for a helicopter company, but that has absolutely no bearing on anything in the vaping world. Now that the general disclaimers are out of the way, enjoy.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I got the Darwin and thought it was about time to give my viewpoint on it. It's pretty good, it's not bad, but pretty good. Do I think it's great? I think it's a good to great PV, with some improvements it could definitely be great. I’ll cover the things that I think would be needed/required to improve some areas and I’ll also cover the things that I liked.

First, the things I thought could be improved on:

Fit and Finish
Fit and finish is good, not necessarily great, but definitely good. Not sure how things are machined in the PV world (assuming there would be a difference in machining in any other circumstances, but there's not....), but I also understand these are a low density item. I suppose my concern/disappointment is in the fit/finish comparison to a REO or a mass manufactured item (eGo), especially considering the cost of the item. I would like to see the machining “smoothed” with regards to the routing on the face plate, again, this is minor. Other minor things like engraving (the back plate) could be more consistent, but as noted, are minor. Selection of fastener material is another minor issue I took under consideration. I’m not a fan of the grade/composition of the screws. Personally, I prefer a different metal/grade, but again, that’s me.

Display
Another little thing I thought could be improved on, is the display. There is a quarter of the display taken up by a logo. From a HFE (Human Factors Engineering) perspective, this could be better used, but that's just my opinion. All things being equal, the device itself is distinctive and branding or imaging is already inherent to the shape/size of the device. Additional markings, except maybe the back plate, are not need, at least in my opinion. This device really shines as a function first device and the logo on the screen is contrary to that. Another thing that I thought would be nice from a HFE standpoint with regards to the display is the ability to keep the display lit or set a "time to dim". This would effectively allow the user to adjust settings in low-light situations without requiring the firing of the atty. The corrective action for this, remove the atty/carto and then dial the desired wattage. However, this is counter-productive, from a HFE perspective. The proposed correction to this would either be addition of another button (usually not a good thing from HFE) or the ability to manipulate the existing button to achieve the desired affect. This could be accomplished either by movement of the wheel initiating the display to light up or by depressing the wheel (think of the mouse wheel being depressed on your computer pointing device). However, the wheel being “clickable” may also add a failure point. Therefore, the ideal solution would simply be to have the display activate on wheel movement. The impact to display life and battery life should be minimal.

Atomizer Connection/Swing Arm
I like the concept but I don't like the application/function. The connection itself is sturdy, but a swivel point in any application is a weak point, especially when attaching an arm. This weak point becomes a fulcrum and consequently, a high-failure point (perceived). Since I don't want to punish my PV by subjecting it to stress or undue failure testing to confirm this perception, this is merely an educated opinion. Recessed well is a tested and proven design on other mods that would probably find a nice home on any future versions of the Darwin. This would eliminate the need for the arm and requirement the shifting of components internally, but could be achievable. The swing arm, however, gives the Darwin it’s unique appearance and probably it’s second most recognizable physical characteristic (the primary being the shape of the device, overall). I will note later, in the “likes” what I do like about the arm functionality and why I do like it. Again, I think this is a distinctive design feature that really sets the Darwin apart, but it does have a tradeoff.

Battery/Charge Indication
Quite simply, I would like to know the PV is charging and what the status is of that function without having to turn it on. Currently, there are no means for determining the charging status of the device. Here, the display could be put to better use and light up or when the arm is in the “off” position, the entire display could show the battery status (health, capacity, cell status, etc) when it’s plugged in. Having dealt with Lithium Polymer cells for years in my other hobbies, knowing the health of your LiPo cells are EXTREMELY important. I cannot stress how important the health of the cells relates to overall safety. I am reluctant to take apart the Darwin, but I’m guessing the battery is either a 1/2S (S for series) with a voltage multiplier or a 3S battery. But, like I stated, I’m reluctant to crack the device open, possibly voiding the warranty (even though my analytical/engineering mind would very much like to do so). Personally, I will probably create an adapter to connect to the USB port so I can hook the Darwin up to my LiPo charger or to my cell testers to get an idea of cell health (balance between cells, etc). It would be a nice feature to see the health of the cells displayed during charge, with deltas noted, so a user can forecast when the cells will need replacement.

Things I liked:

Features
The heat adjustability is a great feature; frankly, it's the primary reason a user would consider this PV. Quite simply from the standpoint of actually having Selectable Regulated Consistent Wattage (Evolv calls it Power Regulated), you can tailor your vaping preferences on the Darwin for your juice or atty or combination (personal preference can be dictated by flavor, heat, TH, etc). I find myself not switching atty's or batteries or PVs to get a particular taste out of a particular juice. This speaks volumes from the standpoint of a pleasurable or easy vaping experience. Certain voltages or heat ranges hit the "perfect" (or as close to) spot for us through experimentation with batteries, atomizers, juices, etc. Some people start with a particular PV and are content staying there, some of us purchase a wide range of accessories/equipment trying to find that "perfect" vape. For those that are looking for that "perfect" vape, this PV facilitates that endeavor quite nicely. I can't explain how important this particular feature is, at least to me.

Shape/Size/Materials
Above I commented on some things about the build that I didn't like, I'd also like to cover some things about the build that I did like. Other reviewers have commented how this PV could hammer in nails, this is an accurate assessment and I feel I would not be doing the device justice without at least mentioning it. Overall, minus the previously noted “dislikes”, I felt the build and material selection was solid. I have absolutely no fears about dropping the device, other than on the atomizer arm (as noted). It should also be noted that the swinging arm should also be considered a thing that I liked. I like feeding systems, but I also drip. Since this ritual requires a stationary platform to apply the liquid (at least without making a mess), I felt the swing arm facilitated that ritual. I can place the Darwin on its back on the desk/chair arm/lap/etc and swing the arm perpendicular and use one hand to drip. Granted, I can also do this with a tube mod or a box mod, but the greater surface and lower center of gravity due to the shape of the device make this ritual much easier than those alternatives. One of the things that I really do like about the PV is that it requires no adjustability and its maintenance requirements are pretty sparse.

Battery Life
Battery life on the device is superb. It should also be mentioned that the battery life and consequently the output goes hand in hand with the feature noted above, vaping consistency. I consider myself a pretty avid vaping enthusiast and as such, I vape quite a bit. I switch attys/flavors constantly and I’m vaping all throughout the day. In the morning, in the car going to work, at work, at lunch, at work, in the car going home, at home, in the car going to class, at class (breaks mostly), in the car going home, and finally, before bed (you get the idea?). Given the amount of use a PV sees during the course of the day, the Darwin holds up well and I am impressed. The battery should not be evaluated as a weak point, as some people have opined. Swapping batteries out of other mods or requiring a daily charge on those individual cells is definitely more cumbersome than the power setup on the Darwin. Comparing an 18650 (or other similar cell(s)) to the battery in the Darwin is not the same. Personally, I’ve had to swap batteries on other PVs during the day or noticed a drop in PV performance necessitating a battery change, this is not something that occurs with the Darwin. The longevity of the batteries (lifecycle) chemistry (LiPo) can span years. I have used the same batteries in my other hobby for going on 4 years and those batteries are in a more extreme environment (higher discharge, more frequent recharge). Also, it’s important to note that the regulated nature and the constant check of the wattage (and adjustment of voltage/etc internally) ensures that the atty/carto are performing the same, each time, regardless of vaping frequency. For the vaper that is constantly using their device, the heat build up in the atty/carto can diminish performance unless you allow the component to cool down appropriately between vapes, this is a non-issue with the Darwin.

Conclusion:
Bottom line, I really like this PV. The Darwin is in a class that is unparalleled. There are other mods that may fit a user’s requirements better and by no means should this be the only PV in a vaper’s inventory. I still find myself using my REO, simply for the feed capability, but that can easily be translated over to the Darwin with some accessorizing. I intend to start working on trying out various tank or feed systems simply because this really is my preferred PV. Granted, I haven’t tried every mod or PV out there and these are merely my opinions with regards to what I have tried. There is room for improvements with the Darwin (or really any PV for that matter), but each person is different with specific likes/wants/needs/requirements. As such, some people prefer tubular design, feeding functionality, or instant battery swapping.

Thanks for reading and I hope this provided some additional information/viewpoints or validation of previously noted impressions.

alldayvape

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 11, 2011
Maryland
Also, it’s important to note that the regulated nature and the constant check of the wattage (and adjustment of voltage/etc internally) ensures that the atty/carto are performing the same, each time, regardless of vaping frequency. For the vaper that is constantly using their device, the heat build up in the atty/carto can diminish performance unless you allow the component to cool down appropriately between vapes, this is a non-issue with the Darwin.

IMO that is THE most important feature of the Darwin, and consequently what sets it apart from ALL other mods in the market. Battery life being second.

ClayK

ECF Veteran
Apr 3, 2011
VA
IMO that is THE most important feature of the Darwin, and consequently what sets it apart from ALL other mods in the market. Battery life being second.

Yeah, I thought it was too, that's why it made the first section of "Things I Liked:Features". Battery life is nice, but not a huge selling point, at least to me. Like with RC Helicopters, we found that HV setups tended to work better than running lower cells. For example, most 450 size helicopters (small ones, about the length of a forearm, with individual blade lengths of 315-325mm) are typically powered by 3S 2100mah packs. The headspeed is usually about 3300 RPM. You get about 5 minutes of some aggressive 3D flight out of that model. However, the pack, motor and ESC come down (land) pretty hot. Change the voltage to a small 6S 1300mah pack and it's completely different. You get about 7 minutes of aggressive 3D and the temps are a bit more reasonable. This adds to pack longevity, provided you don't break the 80% discharge rule. Anyway, I got off on a tangent, but my point is, other PVs either run a voltage booster (taking a single 3.7V cell and pushing it to 6V) or taking two cells and regulating the output. If the regulator is efficient, you can put a higher input voltage and lose a regulator as opposed to boosting the voltage and losing batteries. Personally, I'd rather a regulator fail since most have failsafe circuits to shut down when they don't work right. When a battery cell goes bad, they tend to pop, sometimes with bad results.

Credo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 28, 2011
MS
Excellent review..thanks for sharing!

I just purchased one of these and stalking the mail box.

What sold me on Darwin IS the powerful battery, and the way the charger is built in :)

I don't have to shell out another $50 for a charger and a stack of cells to go in it and make space for them. I don't have to figure out a way to safely stow and transport extra cells or take it apart and put it all back together at least once a day.!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread