Am I understanding DIY E Juice correctly? ADVICE?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kennebarton

Dec 28, 2014
Illinois, USA
Ok so I have done some research on making my own e juice. Here is what I have figured out. Purchasing e juice from a vape shop was costing me about $16 for a 30 ml bottle of mount baker vapor. Being that I recently stopped smoking it was a relief on my wallet. After a couple of months I decided to save even more money and buy 30 ml bottles of MBV on ebay for $6. Now I have done the math and realized I can make my own juice for about $1.50/30 ML and control the nicotine and flavor strength. This is great. I already bought the nicotine, pg, and vg from myfreedomsmokes.com. And will soon order Lorann's Oil flavors to complete my plan. This is how I have it worked out.

I vape 50\50 solution so I will obviously do
15 ml of pg
15 ml of vg
2 ml of 100 mcg strength nicotine (100% PG)
and roughly 1 ml of Lorann Super Concentrated Peach Flavoring.

The prices have come to $1.50 per bottle. Which is awesome.

Still learning the steeping aspect.

Here is what I think I should do:

1 After mixing the solution I let it breath uncovered for a few hours

2 thoroughly shake the solution and mix it up

3 run the bottle under warm (hot) water ( I heard the pg vg nic and flavorings bond better under warmer temperatures)

4 letting the solution then sit for a couple weeks ( to the let the flavor "cure?")

5 THEN POWER VAPE!!!

DOES ALL OF THIS SOUND LEGIT AND CORRECT, AND DO YOU EXPERIENCED VAPORS HAVE ANY ADVICE FOR A NEW DIY MAKER

THANKS

Bilonix

Dec 22, 2014
Victoria BC
First off, don't get Lorann's Oils, they are oil based flavouring, and that doesn't mix well. The Flavor Apprentice from MyFreedomSmokes is very good.
For your calculations, just to be very sure, use an e juice calculator, because if you're nic is 100%pg, you will not need as much pg. I suggest, e-Liquid Calculator :: New recipe
You have basically the right idea for steeping, you dont NEED to steep for a couple weeks, some flavors are good right off the line after making and some need to be steeped for a while.
& when you steep and breath, make sure the e juice is in a dark enclosed area.

Cheers.

Double Helix

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 1, 2014
Houston, TX
I'm kinda confused. You're new to DIY, but in your other thread you were already looking forward to selling your juice to the general public? I can always appreciate a hustler, but you should slow down. A user in the other thread offered you some good advice in the liability of what you are doing. I'm only saying this in case you decide to look for other means of selling your juice.

No offense but the whole reason I started doing DIY juice was because of this situation. Taste/dosage inconsistencies and sterility concerns are just a few reasons.

As for your original question, I'd find a way to remove all the manual processes you listed at the end. A hot plate with a magnetic stirrer or an ultrasonic cleaner are just two devices that would help mix and steep solutions.

I started making my own juice 3 days after I started vaping. Actually I vaped some plain VG that I thinned with distilled water the next morning because the PG was making my nose bleed and my throat close up. After a bit of on line reading I discovered I could add some of the LorAnn flavoring I had in the cupboard that I use for my protein shakes. So technically, I started the next day. But my first vape mail got here 2 days later.

There is nothing hard about making e-liquid. There is no mystery. It is dangerous to handle highly concentrated nicotine. You must understand this and closely follow all safety precautions. You must understand simple multiplication, division, addition, subtraction and percentages, or in other words, elementary school math. It terrifies me when I see people say "I'm not good at math," to explain why they cannot calculate how many ml's of 100 mg/ml nicotine they need to use for a 30 ml bottle of juice that they want to be 12 mg/ml. If you cannot figure that out, please have someone sit down with you and help you learn this before you attempt to mix any e-liquid. If you cannot get it after that, please do not make juice that could harm you or someone else. Please be safe and just go buy some.The e juice calculators that do the formulation for you are only as good as the information you enter. They are great tools and wonderful time savers AFTER you have a solid understanding of what you are doing. You have to be able to notice at a glance, if something doesn't look right. They are a tool, not a crutch.

Finally, no one should be allowed to manufacture e-juice in their kitchen and sell it to other people. That is another reason why I continue to DIY. I would only purchase juice from a company with a certified lab. That narrows it down for availability and raises the price considerably. I refuse to pay $20 for something I can make for under a dollar.

The hundreds of people who are trying to get rich quick by starting up an e-liquid e business from their kitchen table, are why we need regulations. I can't bake chocolate chip cookies in my kitchen and sell them without a license, commercial kitchen, health dept. inspection, food safety classes etc... I think that what we inhale into our lungs is just as important as what we put into our stomachs. Perhaps more so.

Last edited:

Cowboy192

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 2, 2014
Cardiff, uk
cargocollective.com
First off, don't get Lorann's Oils, they are oil based flavouring, and that doesn't mix well.

Sorry but I have to disagree, not all of loranns are oil based, but some are so you need to make sure the ones you buy are water soluble, there is a guide to loranns in the diy juice forum, it lists what's suitable to use and what kind of strength to use

dice57

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 1, 2013
Mount Vernon, Wa
I mix in hot water bath myself, leave batch in mixing glassware for a couple days and a couple more hot water bath stirs. Usually vape it right away, but since I mix in 300-500 ml batches, the flavor can develop a tad over time. The temp of my water is 120 F. Find a well emulsified recipe, rarely separates, and so called Steeping just isn't necessary. True, with more complex recipes, there is some flavor development, but steeping??? na, not a believer in that concept.

Vape long and Prosper.

I put my first order for nic base from northernic up here in Canada. I am pretty excited about the idea of cheap juice and figuring out recipes and stuff.
I found a site called diyejuice which had a boxing day sale. 20% off everything. so I went a little nuts (i think)
i bought about 30 different flavours in 3 ml sizes so I could get an idea of what brands I prefer. I ordered a sampling of TFA/TPA, Lorann, Flavor Art, and Baker's.... something or other. :T
my concern is that I didn't buy enough 1ml syringes (I bought 10) so as not to cross contaminate the flavours. Should I look into buying pipettes in future? or a glass dropper that I can clean between uses?

WillyZee

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 23, 2013
Toronto
I put my first order for nic base from northernic up here in Canada. I am pretty excited about the idea of cheap juice and figuring out recipes and stuff.
I found a site called diyejuice which had a boxing day sale. 20% off everything. so I went a little nuts (i think)
i bought about 30 different flavours in 3 ml sizes so I could get an idea of what brands I prefer. I ordered a sampling of TFA/TPA, Lorann, Flavor Art, and Baker's.... something or other. :T
my concern is that I didn't buy enough 1ml syringes (I bought 10) so as not to cross contaminate the flavours. Should I look into buying pipettes in future? or a glass dropper that I can clean between uses?

just rinse the syringes after each use ... and put clear tape over the numbers so they don't wear off.

I am about to start making my juice too. I ordered the two big bottles of PG and VG. Now I just need the pure nicotine.
All I can find are nicotine bottles that I guess is not pure but mixed with one of the two or both the PG and VG already?

So do I not need the other bottles I ordered if these nicotine bottles already have this chit or do I buy the 50/50 mixed
(what I intend to make) and still mix the other crap with it or what? Do they not sell nicotine solutions pure by it's self?

Oh and the fruity flavoring, I need that too still Cheapest but good site for either will get a big ol' like from me! :laugh:

twgbonehead

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Apr 28, 2011
MA, USA

If you mix with a scale you won't need to use syringes. Something like this:
https://www.fasttech.com/p/1075703

Otherwise just rinse them out (and make sure you get fairly wide-bore needles!)

Train2

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2013
CA, USA
I highly recommend using a calculator - for instance, in your example, you will not end up with 50/50, you'll end up closer to 45/55.
And you'll end up with 33 mls and no room to shake in the bottle!
eJuiceMeUp is fantastic. It lets you "experiment" with recipe changes, and SAVE AS so you can repeat.
If you need one, there are also Apps for this - that one's just for a PC.

Ok so I have done some research on making my own e juice. Here is what I have figured out. Purchasing e juice from a vape shop was costing me about $16 for a 30 ml bottle of mount baker vapor. Being that I recently stopped smoking it was a relief on my wallet. After a couple of months I decided to save even more money and buy 30 ml bottles of MBV on ebay for $6. Now I have done the math and realized I can make my own juice for about $1.50/30 ML and control the nicotine and flavor strength. This is great. I already bought the nicotine, pg, and vg from myfreedomsmokes.com. And will soon order Lorann's Oil flavors to complete my plan. This is how I have it worked out.

I vape 50\50 solution so I will obviously do
15 ml of pg
15 ml of vg
2 ml of 100 mcg strength nicotine (100% PG)
and roughly 1 ml of Lorann Super Concentrated Peach Flavoring.

The prices have come to $1.50 per bottle. Which is awesome.

Still learning the steeping aspect.

Here is what I think I should do:

1 After mixing the solution I let it breath uncovered for a few hours

2 thoroughly shake the solution and mix it up

3 run the bottle under warm (hot) water ( I heard the pg vg nic and flavorings bond better under warmer temperatures)

4 letting the solution then sit for a couple weeks ( to the let the flavor "cure?")

5 THEN POWER VAPE!!!

DOES ALL OF THIS SOUND LEGIT AND CORRECT, AND DO YOU EXPERIENCED VAPORS HAVE ANY ADVICE FOR A NEW DIY MAKER

THANKS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread