Am I the only one who hates the term "Analog" ???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monotremata

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 15, 2014
Fontana, CA
monotremata.bandcamp.com
Number 2 actually says digital tuner right under the digital LCD screen and above the electronic buttons.

Yeah the TUNER is digital. Its merely a more accurate way to make sure youre on the right frequency, but the radio signal is still analog.. DA converters back then werent cheap like they are today, theres no way theres a ADA in there for that purpose (Remember how expensive the first cd players were?).. And besides, the radio frequencies arent digital, theyre just radio frequencies, its the control and playback mechanism that determines whether the output is analog or digital.. You capture a radio wave, digitize it just to tune it to the right station, then convert it back again to play it back?? When the Walkman was all the rage samplers were barely 8 and 12 bit (and expensive as all hell).. That wouldve been a pretty crappy sounding radio, cause you can bet it wouldnt be using the 'top of the line' 12-bit/22 (maybe 32)khz DAC like Akai and Ensoniqs samplers were using..

My Roland Juno 106 synthesizer uses a digital clock to control the oscillators in it, but that is still an analog synthesizer. Same thing ashow the radio in that walkman works..

The Cloud Minder

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 28, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Yeah the TUNER is digital. Its merely a more accurate way to make sure youre on the right frequency, but the radio signal is still analog.. DA converters back then werent cheap like they are today, theres no way theres a ADA in there for that purpose (Remember how expensive the first cd players were?).. And besides, the radio frequencies arent digital, theyre just radio frequencies, its the control and playback mechanism that determines whether the output is analog or digital.. You capture a radio wave, digitize it just to tune it to the right station, then convert it back again to play it back?? When the Walkman was all the rage samplers were barely 8 and 12 bit (and expensive as all hell).. That wouldve been a pretty crappy sounding radio, cause you can bet it wouldnt be using the 'top of the line' 12-bit/22 (maybe 32)khz DAC like Akai and Ensoniqs samplers were using..

My Roland Juno 106 synthesizer uses a digital clock to control the oscillators in it, but that is still an analog synthesizer. Same thing ashow the radio in that walkman works..

Yeah, that's analog, now try to smoke that radio. :)

MikenGA

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 8, 2011
Georgia
Yeah, that's analog, now try to smoke that radio. :)

Jeeezzzz...I don't know HOW it happened, but you just reminded me that MY GRANDFATHER made his first 6" black and white television from an oscilloscope, following a course from DeVry Institute. He also made my first AM radio (in a homemade wooden case), a real TELEGRAPH, and a telegraph recorder, so he could send me 'morse code' messages.

In most ways, HE was NOT a very nice person...but thinking back on it, he really did some KEWL things for ME!

Suddenly..................I see HIM in a different light. WHOA!!! :?:

Maybe HE just had a different way of expressing himself???

:blink:

Nah...he was a 'defecant personality', even to his sons and daughters.

Coincidence! :unsure:

He was an ANALOG personality! (Did THAT make sense???)

SnakeFarm

ECF Veteran
Sep 1, 2011
San Antonio
This won't be the first time I've invited the wrath of the vaporgensia, but I seem to remember that "analog" was used first to describe e-cigs that looked like cigarettes just after button battery devices hit the scene. In that context, it made sense since the device was an "analog" for the paper/tobacco/filter things we called cigarettes. Come to think of it, I never cared to much for the word cigarette; sounds French. While I'm at it, I kinda think "Vape" sounds pretentious and fake. I don't use the term personally and if you asked my kids if their dad vapes, they'd probably say, "no, he uses a nicotine steamer."

ENAUD

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2013
Bordertown of ProVariland and REOville

That radio actually has a nice sound to it when run through an amplified speaker...and the analog reference was to the cassette medium, one which I still use and enjoy :) I have run that little gizmo through my Sansui receiver at times just for fun :D

The Cloud Minder

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 28, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Jeeezzzz...I don't know HOW it happened, but you just reminded me that MY GRANDFATHER made his first 6" black and white television from an oscilloscope, following a course from DeVry Institute. He also made my first AM radio (in a homemade wooden case), a real TELEGRAPH, and a telegraph recorder, so he could send me 'morse code' messages.

In most ways, HE was NOT a very nice person...but thinking back on it, he really did some KEWL things for ME!

Suddenly..................I see HIM in a different light. WHOA!!! :?:

Maybe HE just had a different way of expressing himself???

:blink:

Nah...he was a 'defecant personality', even to his sons and daughters.

Coincidence! :unsure:

He was an ANALOG personality! (Did THAT make sense???)

Is this a subtle way of saying my comments are poopy?

Or just another ....-log?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread