Aluminum for atomizers... is it safe?

Status
Not open for further replies.

vaper1960

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2019
California, US
I have considered making my own replacement "tube" for glass part of atomizers (like my old PockeX that the glass is thin and breaks so easily) Also (after next May) might be making several hardware projects... even attys. Is aluminum safe around e-juice? I know (in general... like for cooking) I avoid using anything acidic with aluminum... I assume most e-juice (besides citrus/sour that I don't like anyway) should be fairly neutral. It's easy to cut and work with.

• Optimistic
Reactions: stols001

Jwaterski

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 27, 2013
OKC, OK
Think you would probably have to do some research on the grade and finish if you want to use aluminum. Many finishes or coatings applied to aluminum to prevent corrosion would not be something you want to vape. Some would hardly be noticeable but would still be present. Probable exposure would be negligible, but why risk it for a couple bucks.

Mordacai

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 16, 2019
UK
Don't neccessarily need a long length or a high wall thickness, 1mm at most should be more than enough. As the SS tube will be massively more resistant than the glass.

An idea is to contact a local Engineering firm and ask if they have any off cuts available that they could sell.

And the RBA's that use Aluminium, what grade is used? As there's lots of grades going up to ridiculous prices, nevermind that Aluminium is porus. That's why soft drink cans are coated with plastic.

Reactions: Jwaterski

vaper1960

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2019
California, US
Technically, I think it would be an aluminum alloy (and yes, those can be more expensive) Might need wall thickness to seal against o-rings. I guess I could just stock up some extras for my existing tanks (they are very cheap) but also thinking about fabricating a few things myself (my uncle was an inventor... it's kinda in my blood to design/make things) Off topic, but wait till you see my idea for a RDA coil (just need to get the deck first... on sale for $6)

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
I have considered making my own replacement "tube" for glass part of atomizers (like my old PockeX that the glass is thin and breaks so easily) Also (after next May) might be making several hardware projects... even attys. Is aluminum safe around e-juice? I know (in general... like for cooking) I avoid using anything acidic with aluminum... I assume most e-juice (besides citrus/sour that I don't like anyway) should be fairly neutral. It's easy to cut and work with.

I would Never use a Bare Aluminum Alloy for anything that comes in contact with e-Liquids or Vapor.

It's just too Reactive of a Metal Alloy.

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Agreed. But properly anodized, it's pretty dang inert.

True.

I just kinda Cringe when a $9 Clone say's that is made from Anodized Aluminium. Because some that I have seen have about a 20 Angstrom thick surface boundary of "Anodize".

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
I just kinda Cringe when a $9 Clone say's that is made from Anodized Aluminium. Because some that I have seen have about a 20 Angstrom thick surface boundary of "Anodize".
I did say, "properly". :laugh:

Anything outside my house in Florida might as well be in a salt-spray test booth. Properly anodized aluminum laughs at it. Any other finish on aluminum, like powder-coat, forget it; the aluminum turns into white dust.

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
I did say, "properly". :laugh:

Anything outside my house in Florida might as well be in a salt-spray test booth. Properly anodized aluminum laughs at it. Any other finish on aluminum, like powder-coat, forget it; the aluminum turns into white dust.

Yeah... Good Quality Anodize on Aluminum can be tough stuff. High Hardness also.

It's that White Redox that is a Good Idea to keep out of your e-Liquids/Vapor.

Reactions: Rossum

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada

I don't have anything to add about aluminum being safe around juice.

I was a machinist for almost 20 years and have a good understanding of how much easier it is to machine aluminum, copper or brass compared to SS. I have a one HP hobby lathe. Machining SS with it is a much slower process and requires different cutting tool geometries, cutting speeds and depths compared to the softer metals but if I made any atty parts I would use SS because I would feel better about vaping with that. The added time and tooling issues wouldn't bother me, but I also have the machining experience to know how to do it successfully with my little lathe which makes it a much easier decision for me. If you're using more powerful machines than mine machining SS is a lot easier.

Keep in mind too that there are some very good engineering plastics out there that have well defined chemical compatibilities and can be had in round bar. They are very easily machined and finished if it's done correctly.

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX
An idea is to contact a local Engineering firm and ask if they have any off cuts available that they could sell.

Actually if you are buying scrap from a manufacturing firm anyway, maybe see if they would be able to cut/lathe it for you too. Just tell them "no rush", so they don't quote you based on using stock instead of the scrap. That way you can get SS and professionally milled to the correct specs. Would cost a bit more for the labor I am sure but probably worth it in the long run.

BigPappa

Ultra Member
Sep 21, 2019
Fort Myers, FL
Do they not have replacement glass for the tanks you use? Like on fasttech or somewhere else? I have at least a dozen replacement glass tubes for each of my tanks so that I know I am covered... And for the actual tanks I have between 4 and 11 backup tanks for each tank type. Those also came with 1 replacement glass each on top of the dozen extra for each type that I purchased. So including what is on each tank, the extra it came with and the extra I bought, I have between 20 and 34 glass tubes for each tank type.

I may be paranoid, but glass is usually very cheap.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread