Not open for further replies.

Territoo

Diva
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Jul 17, 2009
    Texas
    I don't know anything about US law, but, I realise that this 'ad hoc' group was formulate by a handful of people for speed. (and much kudos to those involved for sorting it out :thumb:)

As names and addresses of such group have not yet been supplied, is it too late for other forum members to supply thier names and addresses and ask to be added as members of the group? (I assume that some information may be called for by the court.... even if it's only the number of members of the group).

I would think that an ad hoc group of 1000 may hold more weight than an ad hoc group of 10.

I agree on this point. The need for a rapid response justifies the fact that only a small handfull of people had their names associated w/ this brief. However, is a supplemental list being created. If so, where do I sign?

(Haven't finished reading all posts, so sorry if I'm redundant)

GregH

ECF Veteran
    Jun 28, 2009
    Georgia USA
    I agree on this point. The need for a rapid response justifies the fact that only a small handfull of people had their names associated w/ this brief. However, is a supplemental list being created. If so, where do I sign?

(Haven't finished reading all posts, so sorry if I'm redundant)

Here's the info from earlier in the thread for how to add your names. I got my name added to the group. :)

Please forgive me for taking so long to post this . . . we've been waiting for confirmation that there's a way to add people without folks having to petition the court and pay filing fees. See--trying to save everybody some money. ;)

For those who wish to add their names to the AES roster in support of the brief, we'd love to have you. You can PM your name, address, phone number, and email address to whichever of the following folks you wish:

Lika
    Bonniegirl,
    JustJulie
    Tazcat
    TheIllustratedMan

If you wish to be included but feel uncomfortable providing all the information requested, provide as much as you feel comfortable giving. Please be aware that whatever information you provide may be given to the court should Judge Leon request it. But other than that, you can be assured that your personal information will remain confidential.

Now, having made my AES announcement, I want to say something on my own behalf: YOU GUYS ROCK! Seriously. :wub:

bonniegirl

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    May 18, 2009
    South Jersey USA
    Thanks soooo much Big Jim for your tremendous support of our efforts. It means so much, especially in this apathetic world. I still believe that Margaret Meads' quote is so very true for our cause

"Never doubt that a small group of concerned citizens can make a change, it is the only thing that ever has."

Kudos for the publicity
    Onward we go, Fired up, ready to go, Fired up, ready to go
    Thanks
    Bonnie

Mister

ECF Veteran
    Aug 3, 2009
    Nanaimo BC Canada
    A big thank you to Bonniegirl, JustJulie, Tazcat, Lika, TheIllustratedMan, and those initial members of the Alliance of Electronic Smokers who wish to remain anonymous!

And an especially big thank you to Deborah M. Shelton, Christopher M. Loveland, and to Sheppard Mullin Richter & Hampton LLP for supporting, producing, and filing the excellent Amicus Brief!

I know you are all probably still tired and catching your breath from all your effort on this and I apologize for asking the following so soon. I ask now because the formation of CASAA (The Consumer Advocates for Smoke-free Alternatives Association) has been proceeding at the same time. You've been so busy that I imagine you've had little time to follow its progress. It is well along the path to becoming an active organization. Right now is the best time to put forward thoughts about its structure and objectives.

Have you decided yet whether the Alliance of Electronic Smokers is a temporary organization whose sole purpose is the matter at hand, vs. it becoming a longer term consumer advocacy organization?

If you intend the Alliance of Electronic Smokers to become a long term organization then I think it is important to announce that and to find ways to avoid duplication with the CASAA effort. If the Alliance is just (not that this is a small thing!) an ad-hoc organization for its current purpose then I think that you could all be very influential in both defining the objectives of CASAA and in pursuing them in future. I'm sure that your thoughts and participation would be very much appreciated.

The threads of most interest regarding CASAA at the moment are:
    http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...-eco-organization-charter-administration.html
    http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...-eco-new-website-final-mockup.html#post557255
    (I think that CASAA will have its own subforum soon. I hope that the above links will continue to work. If not please look for the CASAA subforum.)

JustJulie

CASAA
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 30, 2009
    Des Moines, IA
    Some folks have been asking what AES’s plans are for the future. To be honest, there really are no plans for AES in the future. As Lika explained in our original post, AES is an ad hoc organization formed for the very specific and limited purpose of filing the brief in the SE v. FDA case. People who are “joining” AES at this point are basically saying that they support the filing of the brief . . . they’re not signing up to become e-cig guerilla warriors. ;-)

The original AES members are all active volunteers with Right To Vape (RtV). In fact, it was our association with RtV that provided the spark that eventually became AES. Truthfully, our work with RtV inspired and empowered us to take an active stand.

Right now, RtV is hard at work laying the foundation for a strong organization. We recently adopted a new Mission Statement: Right to Vape is an international volunteer organization aimed at initiating and supporting activism and education on behalf of those wishing to use personal vaporizers, including nicotine where desired, and to encourage scientific study, product safety and effectiveness. Right to Vape holds no national or political allegiances and aims to work with other organizations world-wide which share its goals.

If you’re interested in rolling up your sleeves and getting to work, perhaps you might want to consider becoming a volunteer at RtV:

www.righttovape.com/right-to-vape-activism/looking-for-some-warm-bodies-who-want-to-roll-up-their-sleeves-and-get-to-work!

Webby

Resting In Peace
    ECF Veteran
    Mar 31, 2009
    USA
    Some folks have been asking what AES’s plans are for the future. To be honest, there really are no plans for AES in the future. As Lika explained in our original post, AES is an ad hoc organization formed for the very specific and limited purpose of filing the brief in the SE v. FDA case. People who are “joining” AES at this point are basically saying that they support the filing of the brief . . . they’re not signing up to become e-cig guerilla warriors. ;-)

Julie,

Again, you certainly have my gratitude (and those of the vast majority here) for taking a stance. It certainly shows the activism strengths of Right to Vape's members.

Not to hijack this thread, but I'm curious as to how we may all work together as a follow up. It's been made clear that joining this brief is welcome, but kind of an after the fact effort.

Please don't think I'm trying to "steal the thunder" of what you've done, but I'm more curious as to how we can all join forces to move forward.

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...sions/37687-avoiding-duplication-efforts.html

JustJulie

CASAA
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 30, 2009
    Des Moines, IA
    Julie,

Again, you certainly have my gratitude (and those of the vast majority here) for taking a stance. It certainly shows the activism strengths of Right to Vape's members.

Not to hijack this thread, but I'm curious as to how we may all work together as a follow up. It's been made clear that joining this brief is welcome, but kind of an after the fact effort.

Please don't think I'm trying to "steal the thunder" of what you've done, but I'm more curious as to how we can all join forces to move forward.

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...sions/37687-avoiding-duplication-efforts.html

Hi, Webby . . . I responded on your thread regarding cooperative efforts:

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/campaigning-discussions/37687-avoiding-duplication-efforts.html#post574466

Lika

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 6, 2009
    Dallas - USA
    Edit: I've moved the following post from the "Smoking Everywhere V. FDA Daily Docket Sheet Update" to here because I felt it better fit in this thread and probably should have been posted here originally.

I think, or at least hope we were clear enough in the AES announcement thread in stating the "Alliance" is an ad hoc group of consumers created for the sole purpose of filing the brief.

Once this trial is over that group no longer needs to exist. That does not mean all current members of that group can't move on and do some great things together. That could either be by joining activist organizations such as RTV and CASAA or by regrouping again down the road should we need to represent as "individual consumers" in another court.

I do think we need to clarify a couple of other things to avoid any confusion.

Everyone needs to fully understand that in this particular filing it was very important that we file as a group of consumers who purchase this product rather than bearing arms of activism. We and our counsel felt it best to represent a body of individual consumers and not act on behalf of an activist organization. Strategically, from our standpoint, representing such an organization simply does not fit within the framework of this case.

I am making these clarifications because there appears to be some confusion on the various forums that AES and RTV are one in the same or that RTV was directly involved. That is simply not the case. There is an indirect connection in that the original members of the Alliance are also members of RTV. That, however, does not mean it was an RTV project.

All of us are also members of ECF, VF and other community forums. The fact is a few of us that have developed friendships decided to do this on our own. Our community associations are moot in conjunction with the AES Amicus Brief filing.

We also continue to welcome any individual consumer that wishes to support the AES Brief by adding their name to the roster.

If anyone wants to participate with more of an activist approach I suggest you give RTV a visit and consider signing up. RTV is looking for Volunteers and to grow its membership base. It intends to do some great things in the near future.

Hopefully, SJ and the good peeps here at ECF will give RTV a sticky thread in the campaigning forum allowing it solicit new members. We haven't asked yet but we will very soon.

Last edited:

Lika

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 6, 2009
    Dallas - USA
    As most of you already know from Sun's SE v. FDA thread - Judge Leon passed down a ruling today in favor of the SE & NJOY motions for preliminary injunction. In addtion to this ruling, the judge also granted the Amicus Curiae filed by the AES, Alliance of Electronic Smokers, as outlined earlier in this thread.

The 2 page Order on 1-14-10 can be found here:

eCigToolbox - Smoking Everywhere Order - PDF

The 32 page ruling opinion on 1-14-10 can be found here:

eCigToolbox - Smoking Everywhere Ruling Opinion - PDF

This is HUGE news!!! Congrats to all of us who have found our personal vaporizers to be the anwer we've been looking for and especially thanks to those who worked hard to get us to this point. It is by no means over but this is big first step in the right direction.

I checked my email at 3:30 pm for the first time today and saw I had an email from our Amicus Brief attorney, on behalf of the "Alliance of Electronic Smokers" announcing Judge Leon's ruling and granting the AES Amicus Curiae in his order. That email was sent at 3:30 AM this morning, lol - I could have been this happy hours ago! I immediately came here to join in on the celebration.

Again, congrats to everyone and thanks to all the attorneys involved. A special thanks to Sun Vaporer for keeping everyone informed on his thread.

I will be talking with the other founding members of the AES and look for ways to more publicly address our position in all of this. Look for new news very soon... Until then I want to also extend a personal appreciation of all those that have signed on to be a part of the AES.

Last edited:

Lika

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 6, 2009
    Dallas - USA
    Hey, find out what Judge Leon did with Banzhafs brief. I need a good laugh.

The judge ordered that the Amicus Curiae submitted by ASH in support of the FDA also be granted. It was a combined motion granting for Leave to Submit on both briefs filed by ASH and AES.

That's not necessarily a bad thing, just fair play, IMO.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread