According to the EPA, just a few of the chemicals found in analogs...

Status
Not open for further replies.

AegisPrime

ECF Veteran
Dec 17, 2013
The Fortesque Mansion, UK
Hi guys nice thread, but maybe a bit overreacting since from what i know, nobody here just vapes VG/PG/Nic

How about a thread: What's "really" in your juice ?

Let me get you started:
* Acetic Acid = Vinegar
* Citric Acid = Citrus Juice
* Malic Acid = Apple Juice
* Acetyl Pyrazine = Comes from peanuts, corn and sesame
Methylbutyraldehyde = FDA-approved food additive
* Ethyl Maltol = Food flavor enhancer used to enhance flavor and sweetness
* Sucralose = Artificial sweetener

Don't know of a lot more right off the bat, but there are tons more. Feel free to chip in if you know of any

* Very common

Nothing too nasty looking in there :)

Last edited:

Chas F.

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 3, 2013
Colorado
There are more than a few people that vape unflavored nic juice in either a PG or VG form.

Let's be clear, not all juices have all those ingredients.

I DIY, and I add vinegar and Ethyl Maltol to some of my mixes. I do NOT know what is in all of the flavorings I use, but I'd bet they are not near as dangerous as what is in a tobacco cig.

i-technology

Dec 9, 2013
France
I agree that they are probably nothing near as nasty. But i've been getting into DIY lately and my list of ingredients has been surging sky high lately (not that i use more than a few at a time ..i only make simple flavors for now).

So it's been making me wonder more and more what's actually in things like Boba's Bounty and gourmet complex juices like that, since myself i'm just shy of a 100 different flavors now, not counting premixed base flavors, and some are pretty hard to pronounce ^^

And the FDA is worried about the ~4 chemicals in e-cigs?!

I am of the opinion that the only thing the likes of the FDA and simular bodies are worried about is the loss of revenue through people giving up the habit

For instance it is well known in the UK where I live, the treasury pockets billions in vat/tax from tobacco yet spends only some of that on the negative (health related) effects of consumption (say £3 billion out of every £10 billion generated)

I strongly feel the attacks made towards electronic cigerettes are a side effect of a failed attempt to suppress the technology
They can't simply "disapear" them, so the next best step is to price them out of peoples reach through heavy-handed regulation, and to drive users back into the arms of the tobacco giants

People don't come into the equation its always been about money!

Bill's Magic Vapor

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 8, 2013
USA
The 599 chemicals in cigarettes is only the first part of the story. Once combusted, these 599 chemicals turn into 3,000 - 4,000 compounds, many of which are far more dangerous than those they started out with. For certain, there are more than 100 compounds that are carcinogenic and/or chemicals which substantially enhance the addictiveness of nicotine via enhanced nicotine uptake. The faster you can get nicotine to the brain, the greater the addictiveness. Analogs take about 5 seconds for nicotine and other chemicals to reach the brain. Vaping, due to a completely different mechanism of action takes about 30 seconds for nicotine to reach the brain, making them far less addictive.

The mechanism of action and uptake in the patch, for example, is so slow, that the Patch is not even considered addictive or habit forming. Once one switches to vaping exclusively, these differences in uptake makes cutting back on nicotine, or giving up nicotine entirely, substantially easier than quitting smoking. So, as an interim step, vaping allows us to quit smoking, and to eventually quit all nicotine, if we choose, far easier than quitting smoking with or without NRT products. I have found it quite easy to reduce my nicotine intake from 3+ packs of American Spirit Black per day to only about 12 mg/ml of nicotine in my vaping. This is a substantial reduction in both nicotine and and dependence, with vastly better health as a result.

I felt like I had a death sentence before, particularly having lost both my Mother and younger sister to smoking/cancer. Now I feel like I may have a chance at avoiding this horrible illness by vaping, and not smoking. I am so very thankful to ECF, my friends here, and all our members together with our vape gear manufacturers for everything vape related that enabled me to now be smoke free for one year [coming soon], (January 2013 quit date). All the best for a great 2014!

Chas F.

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 3, 2013
Colorado
... I have found it quite easy to reduce my nicotine intake from 3+ packs of American Spirit Black per day to only about 12 mg/ml of nicotine in my vaping. This is a substantial reduction in both nicotine and and dependence, with vastly better health as a result.

Wow...3 pad of AS Black? Sorry to go off topic but I smoked 1/2 pad of the blue or black and couldn't imagine smoking 3 pad. Kudos to you!

Did you ever look to see what additives were in American Spirits? It was amazingly easy for me to quit smoking using an e-cig so my suspicion is that they didn't have most of the chemicals in them so it made it easier for me to quit.

Bill's Magic Vapor

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 8, 2013
USA
Wow...3 pad of AS Black? Sorry to go off topic but I smoked 1/2 pad of the blue or black and couldn't imagine smoking 3 pad. Kudos to you!

Did you ever look to see what additives were in American Spirits? It was amazingly easy for me to quit smoking using an e-cig so my suspicion is that they didn't have most of the chemicals in them so it made it easier for me to quit.

Well, I used ASB because they were more "natural", but who knows what they contained. The FDA allows over 600 chemicals to be added to foods that call themselves "organic", so who knows what anything means anymore. All I know for sure is that vaping is substantially less harmful to me than smoking. I will probably not vape the rest of my life, but I have vaped on and off since 2009, and enjoy it immensely, and have no plans to quit anytime soon. That being said, I started vaping at 36 mg/ml and now I'm at 12 mg/ml a year later. May go a bit lower, but doubt I will vape with 0 nicotine, and will probably give up vaping at that point. In the meantime, I seem to do better with some nicotine in my "diet." Seems to add many benefits, with few risks. Just gotta play this one out to see how it goes. I have recommended vaping to dozens and seen about a dozen friends and acquaintances quit smoking with vaping, so I know it works for me, for others, and of course, simply read all the great stories here on the Forum every day. This is a winner, and I hope that we can learn more about it's effectiveness and safety in the next year. Preliminary studies thus far are encouraging. Have a great 2014 everyone!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread