About to buy all this (please judge advise)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Al Capwn

ECF Veteran
Mar 22, 2011
Oxford, United Kingdom
Firstly, I hope this is in the right section, secondly some background info....

20 a day Marlboro Lights Smoker (25-30 at weekends)

Anyway, I will now list all the stuff I've got ready to order tomorrow (25/03/2011) so let me know what you think....

Firstly, my personal tastes/needs (0-10, 0 = couldn't give a cr*p, 10 = absolute must)...

Big Vapour = 9
Throat Hit = 9
Ease of Refilling = 8
Flavour = 7
Looks = 3

So here's the shopping list and further explanation of my thought process...

From Liberty Flights
Riva 510 - Special Edition Starter Kit
Titanium Riva 510 - Cone
E Liquid 30ML - VG - Tobaccos VG Silk Blend - High - 18MG
E Liquid VG Spearmint - High - 18MG (5ml)
E Liquid VG Chocolate Cream - High - 18MG (5ml)
E Liquid VG Cherry Cola - High - 18MG (5ml)

From Mirage
CLASSIC 2 Electronic Cigarette Kit (Mirage's improved M402) +USB Charger
CLASSIC Marlbro Cartridges

From Totally Wicked
TORNADO TANK - Cone Shaped 1.7 ohm Low Resistance ATOMIZER
TORNADO TANK EMPTY TANK CARTRIDGES 1.1ml Capacity - CLEAR
Tornado Manual Battery Passthrough - Black
10ML Totally Wicked Electric Cigarette E-Liquid.

Now the reasoning (as you're probably asking why I'm buying three units). Firstly the Classic (MR402) from Mirage is for going out with, as a newbie I wouldn't feel comfortable vaping a Riva whilst walking down the road/in a pub so that's why I want a unit that looks 'real'.

For my 'main' unit (vaping at home) I initially wanted the Tornado Tank but after seeing the price for the kit (£50) and some complaints about flavour loss I decided it would be better to go for the Riva 510 which seem universally loved.

However I still like the idea of the tank system as a noob I'm not sure I want to "get into" vaping to the point where I enjoy mucking about with tweezers etc. So that is why I am planning to order a TT individually (atty, battery & blanks), so I can try it and see how it works for me. The first thing I expect you guys to say why buy the battery as the 510s will work with the TT atty cone (I think) but this is simply because TW offer next day delivery whereas LF don't and I'm all out of carts and back onto analogues right now :(, therefore I want a kit on Saturday I can use. I also like the idea of the "pass through" battery that can be used whilst charging.

So guys, any advise, buying tips would be massively appreciated....else all ths stuff is getting ordered tomorrow morning.

Last edited by a moderator:

cskent

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 24, 2010
Ohio
That looks like a pretty good order. I don't think you'll use the M402 once you try the Riva though. The M40x series is one of the lightest hitters on the market and since you want a lot of vapor and throat hit it just won't do it for you. I do understand your logic though. Personally if I wanted a smaller unit to take out in public I'd look at a standard 510. They perform well, are small in size, and parts will fit the Riva.

Al Capwn

ECF Veteran
Mar 22, 2011
Oxford, United Kingdom
Cheers cskent, as I said the mirage is for going out. Other than a mate who bought a vaper last week as I did I literally know no one who vapes and although my local landlord is a good friend I don't want to scare him with a Riva straight away (although will be taking over the local after). I'm also on a mini-mission to get everyone I know to switch to vaping and the "realistic" looking ones are the best tools for that! :D

The only reason I chose that one was because Scott Boner gave it a recommendation star at his ecig review site. I could just as easily get this and save the Mirage shipping charges all together...

TECC White Super (10cm) Electronic Cigarette Starter Kit

And it's cheaper than the Mirage kit, but I can't find any reviews for it. Maybe I should just get that one and save a bit of hassle and trsut TW to supply a good unit.

EDIT: it seems the TW unit is a RN4081 and found some home made reviews

BiancaMontgomery

SQUIRREL!
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 27, 2010
North Carolina
Wicked-510 TITAN E-NIC or Electronic Nicotine Imitation Cigarette Black You'd be better off going with this one, as it's still cigarette like and is compatible with your Riva and Tornado gear. The cartrigde on the other one holds a tiny cup with a little filler in it that is basically the size of a small pea. It's going to get old very fast filling that. You may also try the 510 cartomizers on these as they hold 30-35 drops of liquid and are great for taking out with you.

cskent

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 24, 2010
Ohio
The TECC is an RN4081. I owned one when I first started vaping. It sucked. The batteries kept dying on me and had to be replaced every week under warranty. The atomizer is good and the cartomizers are ok, but without decent batteries they're worthless. If I had a choice between an RN and a M40x, I'd take the M series. But I still think the 510 outperforms either by a long shot.

Al Capwn

ECF Veteran
Mar 22, 2011
Oxford, United Kingdom
Wicked-510 TITAN E-NIC or Electronic Nicotine Imitation Cigarette Black You'd be better off going with this one, as it's still cigarette like and is compatible with your Riva and Tornado gear. The cartrigde on the other one holds a tiny cup with a little filler in it that is basically the size of a small pea. It's going to get old very fast filling that. You may also try the 510 cartomizers on these as they hold 30-35 drops of liquid and are great for taking out with you.

Yeah but that's a 'mini' rather than a super and doesn't look real enough IMO for what I want (to convince others to switch as I find the real looking ones are great for that and to not get funny looks when using from a distance).

The TECC is an RN4081. I owned one when I first started vaping. It sucked. The batteries kept dying on me and had to be replaced every week under warranty. The atomizer is good and the cartomizers are ok, but without decent batteries they're worthless. If I had a choice between an RN and a M40x, I'd take the M series. But I still think the 510 outperforms either by a long shot.

When was that cskent? They may have upgraded the batteries by now (I hope) Acccording to...

http://www.totallywicked-eliquid.co...ic-cigarette-starter-kit-white-2-product.html

They come with "Two Special RN4081 Automatic Batteries with Motorola Microprocessors and Red LED.", was this what you had?

If I go for that (instead of the Mirage Classic) it saves me £20 and the hassle of waiting for a third vendor to deliver. Thinking this list now...

Riva 510 - Special Edition Starter Kit
Titanium Riva 510 - Cone
E Liquid 30ML - VG - Tobaccos VG Silk Blend - High - 18MG
E Liquid VG Spearmint - High - 18MG (5ml)
E Liquid VG Chocolate Cream - High - 18MG (5ml)
E Liquid VG Cherry Cola - High - 18MG (5ml)
TORNADO TANK - Cone Shaped 1.7 ohm Low Resistance ATOMIZER
TORNADO TANK EMPTY TANK CARTRIDGES 1.1ml Capacity - CLEAR
Tornado Manual Battery Passthrough - Black
10ML Totally Wicked Electric Cigarette E-Liquid.
TECC White Super (10cm) Starter Kit
TECC Super Cartridges - Tobacco and Menthol.

Which is £125 with all taxes and delivery paid (the original list in the OP was just shy of 150).

shamreez

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2011
Bristol UK
I would suggest (If that counts) to drop the M402 and get yourself these

1) Fluxomizers (A little pain in the $%^& for filling but once done very good vapour and throat hit and it can take easily up to 1.5 ml) I know you have ordered the tank but believe me these taste a lot better than the tank and also the tank boasts of 1.1 ml but if you put more tha 3/4th it would start leaking. (They are available from ivapour)
2) Get a LR 510 atomizer and a drip tip (They go well with ur tornado battery and there is nothing to beat the taste of dripping)
3) You can try juices from Paradise Vape. You get very good juices there at very less price (That too without shipping charges)

amrnation

Moved On
Mar 17, 2011
Mass
my suggestion is

Keep the riva

Grab a pyrex 306 drip tip from theecig.com

LR 1.5-2.0 OHM 306 atomizer from avid vaper or you can choice your vendor for atomizers doesnt really matter.

Bluemistvaping.com for juice and be happy for the rest of your life.

recap Riva 306 atomizer 306 pyrex drip tip from theecig.com and bluemistvaping juices. :) just saying

and if your feeling frisky later on grab a dripshield from empiremods.com and 2x 510-901-510 adapters at empiremods.com so you can use your 306 + pyrex drip tip on the riva with the drip shield.

Last edited:

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
If you have Riva and Tornado batteries, you will save money by NOT buying the passthrough. You don't need it. Both kits will get you Ego class batteries. That will give you about 24+ hours of vaping from the 4 batts used back to back. That's plenty of charging time with no interruption. You could probably go camping for the weekend with conservative use. A cigarette lighter adapter would let you charge even on a camping trip or vacation away from power.

I bought a passthrough for my first 510 kit. Since the Ego came in a month later, the PT has remained in the box as well as my 510 PCC. I still use the 510 batts with a 306 atty and drip tips to keep a different flavor on tap for occasional use.

Last edited:

redheadone

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Feb 2, 2011
North Carolina
As a newbie of only a little over two months I have purchased the ego and the tank I am eventually going to get a mod to try that but as for right now in my experience the tank is great. No fuss no muss. I know some of the guys on this forum say that they have been having trouble with them but they are holing up fine for me great throat hit and g reat vaor. I think the taste issue comes in not letting the juices steep long enough or the vendor simply not putting enough flavoring in the juice to begin with. I have just started the DIY and all my stuff so far as been outstanding.

Cil

ECF Veteran
Jun 4, 2010
UK
Hi re below list:

Big Vapour = 9
Throat Hit = 9
Ease of Refilling = 8
Flavour = 7
Looks = 3

I understand the 'need' for a cigarette look alike, I must say that initially most of us wanted this and I would guess a lot of us started with the super mini's, then the mini's, then the normal 510's, then the ego's, then a cheap mod and finally a set up we liked.

If you have the money and don't mind learning from your own experience, then this is great way to get into this vaping game, you'll just end up with lot of bits and parts and unused e-cigs gathering dust, which is fine.

If you are strapped for cash then an ego kit with low res atty's/Carto's will get it done, although you'll still have to .... about with finding the juice you like but that's half the fun of it.

Alternatively, if you've got a bit of cash then get whatever you fancy, give it a try, and find your own sweet spot.

Good luck

Al Capwn

ECF Veteran
Mar 22, 2011
Oxford, United Kingdom
my suggestion is

Keep the riva

Grab a pyrex 306 drip tip from theecig.com

That looks pretty good, I'll se if there are any UK vendors (maybe should have mentioned I'm in the UK).

If you have Riva and Tornado batteries, you will save money by NOT buying the passthrough. You don't need it. Both kits will get you Ego class batteries. That will give you about 24+ hours of vaping from the 4 batts used back to back. That's plenty of charging time with no interruption. You could probably go camping for the weekend with conservative use. A cigarette lighter adapter would let you charge even on a camping trip or vacation away from power.

I know that (and wrote it in my OP), the reason I'm getting the PT battery from TW is so I will be guaranteed to get it Saturday, anything I order from LF (including the Riva) may not come til next week and I don't want to wait that long to back off the analogues I've had to buy today.

My suggestion is maybe add some cartomizers to your order. I think you should try them, they're pretty easy to use for a beginner.

I've been looking at them, but don't they need refilling as the juice will run out before the atty, hence this makes me think they are more advanced as you don't need to refil carts at all (although you can if you want).

The Riva kit is a great buy from LF but I would throw in a mega Cylinder Atty and cart to try. They hold 2.5 ml of juice and work great on a Riva. Good choice for starting kit.

Will definitely look at getting those next week (I'm paid weekly which has it's advantages)

Hi re below list:

Big Vapour = 9
Throat Hit = 9
Ease of Refilling = 8
Flavour = 7
Looks = 3

I understand the 'need' for a cigarette look alike, I must say that initially most of us wanted this and I would guess a lot of us started with the super mini's, then the mini's, then the normal 510's, then the ego's, then a cheap mod and finally a set up we liked.

If you have the money and don't mind learning from your own experience, then this is great way to get into this vaping game, you'll just end up with lot of bits and parts and unused e-cigs gathering dust, which is fine.

If you are strapped for cash then an ego kit with low res atty's/Carto's will get it done, although you'll still have to .... about with finding the juice you like but that's half the fun of it.

Alternatively, if you've got a bit of cash then get whatever you fancy, give it a try, and find your own sweet spot.

Good luck

Your second paragraph sums up my thinking really, as a newbie I want to "try" out some stuff for myself as a lot of it is about personal opinion and if I don't get on with any of the kits I'm getting they will be used for emergencies (like today when I ran out of carts for my iCig) and spares.

Thanks for all your advice guys, think I'll stick with my revised order but will look to add some of the bits and bobs suggested by all of you over the coming weeks.

ropetrick

ECF Veteran
Oct 1, 2010
Athens, GA
I've been looking at them, but don't they need refilling as the juice will run out before the atty, hence this makes me think they are more advanced as you don't need to refil carts at all (although you can if you want).

I think you might be surprised by how fast you blow through a cart. Refilling carts and cartos is easy (frankly, I find refilling cartos easier and more reliable), and I can't imagine -- or afford -- vaping without refilling. I recently fiddled with carts for a single afternoon after about a solid month on cartos, and almost pulled my hair out. I'm done with attys and carts for good this time.

I was about to recommend CE2s to you, but if you're looking for a low-maintenance approach then the initial cleaning might put you off.

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
It's a pretty good plan. And while I saw your response, I agree with Bianca (nice tribute avatar, Bianca) in that the TW titan is the same size as a cigarette and if you get it in white with an orange or red led, that will be as close you can get to going stealth while maintaining compatibility. The LED will blow it for you though in most cases and that will be true of the 401 as well as the 510/titan.

And if you end up getting the titan - the titan charger and the Tornado/riva charger are not compatible even though they look the same. The tornado/riva is rated at 400-500amps and the titan is lower and it will harm the titan batt to charge on the tornado charger. Just so you know, if you didn't already.

DaveP has a good point on the usb batt (again, saw your response) and you could just order a Tornado Battery along with the tornado tank atty - but that said, I have a usb eGo/tornado batt and it works just fine, esp. on the go in the car and you walk away fully charged after you get where you're going :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread