A New mod coming: Encom Voidray

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roadtrip635

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 29, 2015
Texas
I am surprised this mod isn't getting more notice. How many mods can you repeatedly throw out a multi story window and still use it? :p
There's no reviews or videos, except the one that was posted, at least to my knowledge. It's also not a big, well known company, at least here in the states. So far the pre-sales I've seen put it in the $35 range, which seems pretty good, but really want to see some reviews and get more info.

USMCotaku

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2014
California
There's no reviews or videos, except the one that was posted, at least to my knowledge. It's also not a big, well known company, at least here in the states. So far the pre-sales I've seen put it in the $35 range, which seems pretty good, but really want to see some reviews and get more info.
It is still in Pre order stage as far as I know. I plan on doing a review once they are available.

herb

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 21, 2014
Northern NJ native , Coastal NC now.
well, you are more then welcome to your opinion...but did you actually watch the video? The abuse it was taking and still working? If the production model is as robust, that will be more then just a gimmick, but a pretty good selling point to many out there hard on mods (people like me who work with horses, construction etc...).
Also, I like the idea of the button for battery swap, IF it is as robust as the mod itself and stands up to repeated use....that we will only know after some time.

I work construction and lost count how many times i have dropped my mods , mostly on concrete lol, still work perfectly .

Let me ask you this , what mods have completely fallen apart on you and how many times do you think you are going to chuck your mod out a two story building to see if it survives ?

Now if you think you will be heaving the mod out the window a few times a day then maybe it's worth a closer look .

Although i can see the appeal of throwing a mod out a two story window as hard as i can and have it slam into a wall i find myself doing this less and less these days .

Sometimes you just have to do it though , i understand that .

I just see no difference between this and other hyped bulletproof mods , do you really think you are going to get a quality chipset and a high quality enclosure on a mod that has a suggested retail of $35.00 ?

Sounds like your a new mod enthusiast in general and like to just talk about new stuff , i think i took your post way too serious , my apologies.

You probably suffer from that "shinyitis" disease that people suffer from on ECF , AKA the "must obtain new mod immediately" bug that infects thousands of vapors around the world .

Anyway the mods below have been popular with people .

Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg

Last edited:

cooladdict

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 28, 2012
Seahawk Nation
I am surprised this mod isn't getting more notice. How many mods can you repeatedly throw out a multi story window and still use it? :p
I know huh! I entered a contest for one and I promised to treat it a lot better than the guy in the video treated his, lol! I can't promise it won't hit the ground once or 5 times, but not because I am trying to rough it up. I am just cool like that. :D

USMCotaku

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2014
California
I work construction and lost count how many times i have dropped my mods , mostly on concrete lol, still work perfectly .

Let me ask you this , what mods have completely fallen apart on you and how many times do you think you are going to chuck your mod out a two story building to see if it survives ?

Now if you think you will be heaving the mod out the window a few times a day then maybe it's worth a closer look .

Although i can see the appeal of throwing a mod out a two story window as hard as i can and have it slam into a wall i find myself doing this less and less these days .

Sometimes you just have to do it though , i understand that .

I just see no difference between this and other hyped bulletproof mods , do you really think you are going to get a quality chipset and a high quality enclosure on a mod that has a suggested retail of $35.00 ?

Sounds like your a new mod enthusiast in general and like to just talk about new stuff , i think i took your post way too serious , my apologies.

You probably suffer from that "shinyitis" disease that people suffer from on ECF , AKA the "must obtain new mod immediately" bug that infects thousands of vapors around the world .

Anyway the mods below have been popular with people .

View attachment 527916 View attachment 527917
I had the invader mini version of that, but it was a problem child. And I HAVE had mods fall apart from relatively small drops (3 feet or less), so a mod that can handle the level of torture shown in the video, in theory should handle anything I might accidentally do to it. Do I have mods that are superiorl? Yes....but I dont trust taking them out to the horse barn. One of the up points was this mod didnt seem to even show any physical damage after the torture. I've seen mods torture tested and still work (MPV 3.0?) but have yet to see that aspect :)

Sent with one hand, the other is busy vaping.

Lavaca5

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
I'd be afraid I'd be pressing that button and releasing the battery by mistake all the time. Seems to be right where a fire button would be. Kind of a funny visual - go to take a vape and have the battery fall out instead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Roadtrip635

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 29, 2015
Texas
I'd be afraid I'd be pressing that button and releasing the battery by mistake all the time. Seems to be right where a fire button would be. Kind of a funny visual - go to take a vape and have the battery fall out instead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It would be nice if that button had a lock to prevent that or maybe recessed.

Reactions: gerrymi

USMCotaku

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2014
California
first look: unboxing.....

side by side size comparison to Apollo Reliant and Provari Radius:

First thoughts......it is light...light light, and very light. Without a doubt the lightest 18650 mod I have ever held. It has a bit of plasticy feel to it, but at the same time, it feels sturdy, with zero rattles or loose parts. Fire button and + and - buttons are firm with nice clicky tactile feedback.
Controls are easy to operate. Fire and - button together will enter the menu, which consists of "work mode settings", "hand mode settings", and exit menu. Navigate menu with plus and minus buttons, select via fire button. Work mode settings is where you change modes, of which it has 5: Voltage, Power (VW), Ni, Ti, and SS. Hand mode settings is simply the screen left or right layout. Fire button and plus button together to adjust wattage in TC modes. Lock resistance with plus and minus buttons together. 5x power button to turn on and off.

first use, I am using the cubis tank with .5 ohm 316SS coil.....output seems good, but a tad under set temp, could be set for a different type of SS, like 304, but it is close enough that it works well, with a significant throttle back when the wick dries out. Output is a tad pulsey if the wattage is set much higher then needed, but setting it at 5 watts over normal needed power for the coil I am using, I didn't get any pulsing (until wick dries).

The "finish" is very sturdy seeming. I have already tried to scratch it with my nails, and was unsuccessful in doing so. Seems like it will stand up to things like keys in the pocket or purse with little to no marks.

The battery release button is in a good place to not accidentally be pressed. It has no lock, but the amount of pressure needed to release the battery is enough that I don't imagine it self releasing (while new, we shall see after some repeated use how well this stands up). The battery goes in positive down, which is marked on the battery tray.

Cons:
The screen window is cut slightly small, so the edges of the display are partially cut off/blocked.
The positive battery terminal contact could be a little more "robust" or springier....batteries that are a fraction shorter will loose contact while installed, so you have to continually return on the mod (switched to a different battery, and this one fits perfect, and hasn't shut off since).....This is a Sample version, so these things might be different on the retail version.

Light Seeker

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 31, 2013
Houston TX

Good point Herb. But ya got me thinking I must be the exception.

Every mod I've ever had has broken after a drop. Not from a 2 story window, usually just standing height to a concrete or tile floor. Yeah, I'm clumsy.

Mech or electronic, doesn't matter. Broken electronics, switches, fire buttons, bat doors, 510 connectors, magnets, u name it. Thinking about it, can't remember 1 mod lasting more than 9 months. And by the time it eventually breaks, I'm tired of it, not worth fixing to me .... Get something else.

So I'm interested in something more durable, & this one has good looks too.

Strangely, have never dropped & broken my cell. Guess I need a mod in a cell phone form.[emoji1]

Sent with Tapatalk

Roadtrip635

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 29, 2015
Texas

side by side size comparison to Apollo Reliant and Provari Radius:

First thoughts......it is light...light light, and very light. Without a doubt the lightest 18650 mod I have ever held. It has a bit of plasticy feel to it, but at the same time, it feels sturdy, with zero rattles or loose parts. Fire button and + and - buttons are firm with nice clicky tactile feedback.
Controls are easy to operate. Fire and - button together will enter the menu, which consists of "work mode settings", "hand mode settings", and exit menu. Navigate menu with plus and minus buttons, select via fire button. Work mode settings is where you change modes, of which it has 5: Voltage, Power (VW), Ni, Ti, and SS. Hand mode settings is simply the screen left or right layout. Fire button and plus button together to adjust wattage in TC modes. Lock resistance with plus and minus buttons together. 5x power button to turn on and off.

first use, I am using the cubis tank with .5 ohm 316SS coil.....output seems good, but a tad under set temp, could be set for a different type of SS, like 304, but it is close enough that it works well, with a significant throttle back when the wick dries out. Output is a tad pulsey if the wattage is set much higher then needed, but setting it at 5 watts over normal needed power for the coil I am using, I didn't get any pulsing (until wick dries).

The "finish" is very sturdy seeming. I have already tried to scratch it with my nails, and was unsuccessful in doing so. Seems like it will stand up to things like keys in the pocket or purse with little to no marks.

The battery release button is in a good place to not accidentally be pressed. It has no lock, but the amount of pressure needed to release the battery is enough that I don't imagine it self releasing (while new, we shall see after some repeated use how well this stands up). The battery goes in positive down, which is marked on the battery tray.

Cons:
The screen window is cut slightly small, so the edges of the display are partially cut off/blocked.
The positive battery terminal contact could be a little more "robust" or springier....batteries that are a fraction shorter will loose contact while installed, so you have to continually return on the mod (switched to a different battery, and this one fits perfect, and hasn't shut off since).....This is a Sample version, so these things might be different on the retail version.
Excellent, looking forward to seeing more!

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal

Thanks for the review, USMC. I won one of those recently and should be receiving it after Chinese NY. Your review was very helpful as I had really no idea what to expect! :)

Cons:
The positive battery terminal contact could be a little more "robust" or springier....batteries that are a fraction shorter will loose contact while installed, so you have to continually return on the mod (switched to a different battery, and this one fits perfect, and hasn't shut off since).....

What battery did use?

Last edited:

USMCotaku

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2014
California
Thanks for the review, USMC. I won one of those recently and should be receiving it after Chinese NY. Your review was very helpful as I had really no idea what to expect! :)

What battery did use?
The battery that kept loosing contact was a purple wrapped Imren, the Nxjo's fit just fine, with no loss of contact/reset

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread