A Complexity Dilemma

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Cloud Minder

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 28, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Last night, a lady who frequents the bar that I go to to karaoke, approached me to ask about "the whole e-cigarette" thing. I have known her for a couple of years, and she was quite aware of me being a former smoker and current vapor. So, she wanted to go today to the local B&M, and get an e-cigarette, to get off the cigarettes, as she has multiple health issues.

When she started asking about what I was vaping on, (Veritas RDA on top a Stingray X), I explained that this really wasn't the best place to start, since she stressed she wanted simplicity and wanted nothing to do with rebuilding. So I went out to the car and got my Vaultz vape case. In it are 3 bottles of juice, 2 USB chargers, a wall adapter, 2 itaste VVs sporting Kangers, one miniAero, one miniPT3, a spinner 2 with a Vivi Nova on it, my mutation X atty, my Plume Veil Atty and my IPV2. Everything else was at home.

I explained the various things, as she asked, but I could see it was a bit of an informational overload. I explained egos, and evods, etc. etc.

While she is cool with me, she's a bit curmudgeonly with people she doesn't know, and she basically wants to walk in, knowing what she wants, and walk out with it, and start vaping. (She's tried cig-alikes, and didn't get enough vapor). I tried to explain, she would need to find a flavor or flavors she liked, and that the B&M people would be happy to help her or answer any question (awesome crew there), but she really wants something easy.

I gave her my number if she has any other questions, but I'm afraid she thinks the whole thing is too complex, and won't be willing to bother learning enough to get a satisfactory vape, and just keep smoking.

Anyone have any thoughts or suggestions?

Rule62

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2011
Melbourne, Florida
Last night, a lady who frequents the bar that I go to to karaoke, approached me to ask about "the whole e-cigarette" thing. I have known her for a couple of years, and she was quite aware of me being a former smoker and current vapor. So, she wanted to go today to the local B&M, and get an e-cigarette, to get off the cigarettes, as she has multiple health issues.

When she started asking about what I was vaping on, (Veritas RDA on top a Stingray X), I explained that this really wasn't the best place to start, since she stressed she wanted simplicity and wanted nothing to do with rebuilding. So I went out to the car and got my Vaultz vape case. In it are 3 bottles of juice, 2 USB chargers, a wall adapter, 2 itaste VVs sporting Kangers, one miniAero, one miniPT3, a spinner 2 with a Vivi Nova on it, my mutation X atty, my Plume Veil Atty and my IPV2. Everything else was at home.

I explained the various things, as she asked, but I could see it was a bit of an informational overload. I explained egos, and evods, etc. etc.

While she is cool with me, she's a bit curmudgeonly with people she doesn't know, and she basically wants to walk in, knowing what she wants, and walk out with it, and start vaping. (She's tried cig-alikes, and didn't get enough vapor). I tried to explain, she would need to find a flavor or flavors she liked, and that the B&M people would be happy to help her or answer any question (awesome crew there), but she really wants something easy.

I gave her my number if she has any other questions, but I'm afraid she thinks the whole thing is too complex, and won't be willing to bother learning enough to get a satisfactory vape, and just keep smoking.

Anyone have any thoughts or suggestions?

The problem is, she is at the mercy of the B&M shop, many of which have employees who will try to sell her something which is beyond her ability or knowledge. I've seen it happen, too many times to count. Is it possible for you to arrange to go with her? Or, if you are familiar with any of your local shops' employees, at least give them a 'heads up' that she will be coming in.

faile

ECF Veteran
May 4, 2010
Indiana
Would it be possible for you to go with her? Seems like a good option to me, since she is already comfortable with you explaining things to her.

My experience getting others started thus far has been with my mom, MIL, and SIL, and they've all been kinda similar to what you're describing-- just want it to be easy. They all ended up saying something to the effect of, "I just want to get the kit that (my husband) had. That seemed fine." So we helped them find that, and then pointed them to MBV for juice because that's the majority of what my husband and I vape, they've tried our stuff and liked it, and MBV has a huge selection of flavors for relatively cheap, so it's not as huge a deal if they pick some duds.

Good luck to you and to her!

ETA-> Ha, Rule62 beat me to it!

Last edited:

The Cloud Minder

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 28, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA, USA
The problem is, she is at the mercy of the B&M shop, many of which have employees who will try to sell her something which is beyond her ability or knowledge. I've seen it happen, too many times to count. Is it possible for you to arrange to go with her? Or, if you are familiar with any of your local shops' employees, at least give them a 'heads up' that she will be coming in.

I had been trying to decide if it was feasible to do so (go with her) but I have a lot to do with Saturday being my only day off, ... But hey, if I can help save a life ...

As far as the employees, I don't know them well enough, except by sight, and that's how they know me, so, ... I don't think that will do me good.

The good thing is, no one there has ever tried to push anything on me. They've always asked questions, and shown me a range of options, citing the good and the bad (including price) of each. The staff is top notch, and I never saw them bamboozling anyone.

The Cloud Minder

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 28, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Would it be possible for you to go with her? Seems like a good option to me, since she is already comfortable with you explaining things to her.

My experience getting others started thus far has been with my mom, MIL, and SIL, and they've all been kinda similar to what you're describing-- just want it to be easy. They all ended up saying something to the effect of, "I just want to get the kit that (my husband) had. That seemed fine." So we helped them find that, and then pointed them to MBV for juice because that's the majority of what my husband and I vape, they've tried our stuff and liked it, and MBV has a huge selection of flavors for relatively cheap, so it's not as huge a deal if they pick some duds.

Good luck to you and to her!

ETA-> Ha, Rule62 beat me to it!

OK, I got MIL and SIL, but MBV juice?

?????

Rule62

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2011
Melbourne, Florida
Sounds like Mrs Rule. She just wants simple. The simpler, the better. Maybe that's why she likes me :p. Here I am with 25 or so mechanical mods, countless RDAs and RBAs, and she's happy with her Vamo and a Pro Tank. Every once in a while, she'll hand the thing to me and say "This tastes burnt." I unscrew it, put a new coil head on it, screw it back together, and she's good to go.

Last edited:

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
Take a spare, clean drip tip aqnd one of you itaste VVs sporting a Kanger, with a gentle, simple flavor, and let her try it.

Coach her to take a long, slow, gentle draw....and if she smiles, it means: YES, I can do this!! Hooray!!

^^^

A vv3, a miniprotank, and a pack of 5 coils should convince here.

Tricky part is the juice

The Cloud Minder

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 28, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA, USA
^^^

A vv3, a miniprotank, and a pack of 5 coils should convince here.

Tricky part is the juice

Yeah, I dread that part. I have sampled over 160 flavors and found 8 i can stand, and only 4 that I can vape all day. I'm like the WORST person to consult on flavors.

I remember trying juices and finding one that almost made me vomit. That is NOT hyperbole, I almost threw up. Anyhow I asked one of the guys there if this was like a joke, like the earwax flavored Harry Potter jellybeans, and he said, no, that's one of our 3 top sellers.

So apparently, Im not the go to guy for juice.

The Cloud Minder

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 28, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Heh, they're so ubiquitous around here, it didn't even occur to me to spell it out. Sorry about that!

Yup, Susan got it for ya^.

Seeing as how I'm like the worst juice guy in the world, that's probably why
I had no clue.

Or it's quite possible I just have no clue in general.

Newportlocal

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 14, 2013
Orange County,Calif.
Yeah, I dread that part. I have sampled over 160 flavors and found 8 i can stand, and only 4 that I can vape all day. I'm like the WORST person to consult on flavors.

I remember trying juices and finding one that almost made me vomit. That is NOT hyperbole, I almost threw up. Anyhow I asked one of the guys there if this was like a joke, like the earwax flavored Harry Potter jellybeans, and he said, no, that's one of our 3 top sellers.

So apparently, Im not the go to guy for juice.

I bought more designer juice than I care to reflect on. Most I gave away in a shoe box, or just mailed/handed out to others. Now, I vape Nicoticket all day everyday. I order 2 or 3 of the 50ml bottles at a time in my orders on flavors I like. Can't beat the juice for the price. I have always had good quality gear, but without ejuice you like you only have half the equation at best for a good vape. I just use rebuildables now, but for someone new a nautilus mini with BVC coils would be a good start.

The Cloud Minder

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 28, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA, USA
I bought more designer juice than I care to reflect on. Most I gave away in a shoe box, or just mailed/handed out to others. Now, I vape Nicoticket all day everyday. I order 2 or 3 of the 50ml bottles at a time in my orders on flavors I like. Can't beat the juice for the price. I have always had good quality gear, but without ejuice you like you only have half the equation at best for a good vape. I just use rebuildables now, but for someone new a nautilus mini with BVC coils would be a good start.

Funny I never thought of the nautilus mini, especially since I plan on getting one on Monday, along with an obsolete itaste 134, simply because I like it's insane look, and I want a Mod that can be used as a weapon, and don't have the 26650s to get the Dreadnaught.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread