Status
Not open for further replies.

nasca

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 6, 2014
USA
Hello.

I am looking at a tiny mod with uses a 16340 battery I want a device that is pocketable, but yet can last a day. I only vape lightly, perhaps 1-1.5 ml a day. I currently use 1.8 ohm coils at about 3.4 volts.

If I were to get the 16340 mod, I'd use authentic high quality batteries. 700 mah looks like what they come in.

So, what am I looking at with battery life? Could a single battery last a day...or would I need to carry around a pocket full of batteries, as well.

DavidOck

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2013
Halfway to Paradise, WA
The very rough "rule of thumb" is 1 hour per 100 mAh. YMMV, of course. So by that estimate, you could get around 7 hours of vaping (while I use 18650s, I generally find I come in at less then that average, and erring on the side of less means you won't be left vapeless.)

And it's also good for long term battery life to NOT run them down to low voltage shut-off.

I'd carry one or two spares in a suitable non-conductive container.

nasca

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 6, 2014
USA
thank you.

If were cut that 700mah in half to 350mah to account for battery drop and avoiding total discharge and whatever unavoidable inefficiency, thats 3.5 hours of pressing the button "on" time. completely a hypothetical and rough rough estimate with no empirical data, but if I can get 3ish hours of button-time, I think one battery may last my entire day. I only hold the button down 5-6 seconds at a time.

I should count how many times I do this. I understand that annoying Innokin puff count feature now!

yzer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2011
Northern California
Capacity and discharge current for a 16340 is going to be limited but this is a trade-out everyone must consider for small battery PVs.

Use AW battery ratings as a benchmark. The AW IMR 16340 is 550mAh and the AW IMR 18350 is 700mAh.

I use Efest red IMR 18350s once in a great while and these are rated 750mAh. I only get 2-3 hours of vape time on Sigelei Zmax from these batts, vaping a 2.0 ohm cartotank at 6.5 watts. Plus, I'm using a VV/VW APV with excellent voltage regulation that lets me run the batt down to 3.3V and not a mech.

Keep in mind that Efest capacity ratings are often a little exaggerated but the batts are basically good value performers if the discharge current specification are considered.

DavidOck

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2013
Halfway to Paradise, WA
In any event, you don't want to be without a backup. Or two :)

I rarely leave home without at least two devices on me. For me, that's typically a tube mod with a fresh 19650 and a freshly charged 1300 Spinner, both with full toppers of different flavors. So I have a backup and a taste change at the same time.

nasca

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 6, 2014
USA
I only get 2-3 hours of vape time...

thanks for the reply.

maybe I'm being pedantic, but when you say 2-3 hours of vape time, do you mean the combined total time of how long you have the button pressed down? or do you mean, like, 2-3 hours of taking a few drags, putting your device down for 20 mins, taking a few more drags, having a beer, chasing the beer with a couple tokes...all in the span of 2-3 hours?

yzer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2011
Northern California
thanks for the reply.

maybe I'm being pedantic, but when you say 2-3 hours of vape time, do you mean the combined total time of how long you have the button pressed down? or do you mean, like, 2-3 hours of taking a few drags, putting your device down for 20 mins, taking a few more drags, having a beer, chasing the beer with a couple tokes...all in the span of 2-3 hours?
That's a good question. Yzer's vape time is 2-3 normal waking hours of his day when he used to smoke now and then and now he vapes now and then. Now that's with a 700mAh 18350. If I want to use 18350s all day long I need four of them. I vape about 2.5ml per day from a carto tank. Two 1100 mAh 18500's lasts me all day and so does one 2000mAh 18650.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I personally think you'd find a 16340 battery mod disappointing. I know I certainly would.

The smallest battery I'd ever use would be the 18350 AW IMR 700mah. I use these in my Mini Provari and can get about 6 - 7 hours use of intermittant vaping. I carry at least a couple of spares with me in a plastic battery case for all day coverage. I also use this size of battery in my Smoktech Gripper mechanical mod. Both are pocket-friendly mods. The Gripper is only $8 at Mad Vapes.

Mini Provari v2.jpg Mini Provari

gripper-mod-smoktech-18350.jpg gripper_&_knucklehead.jpg Smoktech Gripper

The smallest mod which I own that uses a 18650 2000mah IMR battery is the Smoktech VV Gripper. This battery can last all day. However, the quality of this mod is rather sub-par IMHO. My first one's buttons fell into the mod after about 6 weeks of use. It was still covered by the vendor's 60 day warranty and they replaced it with a new one. However, I now only keep this as a backup as it is not durable enough for an everyday, all-day, out-and-about use mod.

gripper.jpg Smoktech VV Gripper

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread