Trying not to get frustrated with new v5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Varelse

ECF Veteran
Jan 21, 2014
Western Central IA
I'm trying everything under the sun but have seemed to run out of search ideas and youtube videos to watch. My problem is that I can't seem to get a decent vape. It's to the point I almost bought a can of chew today. Right now my cheap gas station CE4 is kicking my dual coiled AGA TD's .... although that's not saying much. Here's the other gear

2 IMR efest 18350's, 800 Mah each
24 mg Mt baker 80/20
30 ga Kanthal scrunched around .125" drill bit tried everything from dual 5 coil wraps to single 10 wrap-even dual coils in series.
Boiled organic Cotton 3mm rope and twisted ball cotton

I've gone through every voltage/wattage on the scale after striking out with the ohm calc apps. I'm either scorching or the V5 auto shut off stops me from getting a decent hit. I'm not looking for a big cloud, just a decent taste and replacement for my tobacco habit.

ETA: The few times I have seemed to get it dialed in it didn't last long before I'd have to bump the vv or vw or both in one direction or the other.

Any links or advice?

Last edited:

3mg Meniere

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 24, 2013
Tomah Wisconsin
I think you need to back off. You are jumping in too fast. You first conquer the smoking habit, then you get into rebuilding toppers and mixing your own juices. Order some clearomizers and coils for them. I go here: Clearomizers Get some more flavors of juices from MBV, and enjoy. You have to start enjoying before sweating the diy, otherwise you will give up too fast.
As for the VAMO, set it to display watts. I seem to be happiest at three to six.

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
I'm trying everything under the sun but have seemed to run out of search ideas and youtube videos to watch. My problem is that I can't seem to get a decent vape. It's to the point I almost bought a can of chew today. Right now my cheap gas station CE4 is kicking my dual coiled AGA TD's .... although that's not saying much. Here's the other gear

2 IMR efest 18350's, 800 Mah each
24 mg Mt baker 80/20
30 ga Kanthal scrunched around .125" drill bit tried everything from dual 5 coil wraps to single 10 wrap-even dual coils in series.
Boiled organic Cotton 3mm rope and twisted ball cotton

I've gone through every voltage/wattage on the scale after striking out with the ohm calc apps. I'm either scorching or the V5 auto shut off stops me from getting a decent hit. I'm not looking for a big cloud, just a decent taste and replacement for my tobacco habit.

ETA: The few times I have seemed to get it dialed in it didn't last long before I'd have to bump the vv or vw or both in one direction or the other.

Any links or advice?

Isn't the AGA a top coil? You are not using mesh? So you just have the cotton stuck down the hole?
Tried tilting it to wet the cotton?
take top cap off and wet the cotton then fire and watch what happens?

WarHawk-AVG

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 27, 2013
H-Town
The only piece of info you left out - the important one - is what resistance did the build actually come out to be? If ou are trying to push anything much below 1.3 ohms on a VAMO you are gonna to run head into the protection circuit in the VAMO stopping you dead in your tracks.

My target resistance with APV's or kicks are 2.0Ω, the rigs VW is now dependent upon the PWM and the voltage control

Varelse

ECF Veteran
Jan 21, 2014
Western Central IA
I guess that is the problem; you don't seem to know what the resistance is; it's probably too low.

How come you can't say what your resistance actually IS. Not just your target.

Set your vamo to show resistance and check what it says when you try to vape

Check Ohm's after every new build (about 2-3x's a night) - dry then wet. 1.5 is the lowest with dual coils I've hit but I shoot for 2.2-2.4.

I understand the basics - DC electricity, resistance, power, viscosity, wicking - can't seem to get them all to play nice together is all.

Varelse

ECF Veteran
Jan 21, 2014
Western Central IA
ETA quote Edyle
You should post in the rebuildable forum; if the cheap ce4 works but the problem is on your rba, then its something to do with your build

Probably. I was hoping to get advice from anyone with the same AVP first. Over there it's a mish-mash.

Maybe I just need a different rba -you need elf fingers to work with this new AGA TD which doesn't help. :toast:

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
ETA quote Edyle

Probably. I was hoping to get advice from anyone with the same AVP first. Over there it's a mish-mash.

Maybe I just need a different rba -you need elf fingers to work with this new AGA TD which doesn't help. :toast:

Maybe there's shorting out problems on the steel mesh;

My I-atty works of my eGo type batteries but my mods are fussy with it; work for a second then stop; then work the next second; its as if the coil starts shorting out after I fire it; the plain battery tolerates it but my zmax and vamo don't; i stopped using it and went back to my old reliable protank.

and yea, those small screws and stuff are a pain to work with; i might order a bliss or something with better system like knurled nuts instead of slot headed screws.

Last edited:

Varelse

ECF Veteran
Jan 21, 2014
Western Central IA
hold down the left button(-) till it reads either "mean" or "RMS". It runs best when set to "RMS" as "Mean" does exactly like it states...its a MEAN VAPE!

Good Luck!!!:toast:

saw that after watching my 32nd avp rba youtube clip..since i'm sucking more wind than vape should I try the 'mean' setting?

Varelse

ECF Veteran
Jan 21, 2014
Western Central IA
Maybe there's shorting out problems on the steel mesh;

My I-atty works of my eGo type batteries buy my mods are fussy with it; work for a second then stop; then work the next second; its as if the coil starts shorting out after I fire it; the plain battery tolerates it but my zmax and vamo don't; i stopped using it and went back to my old reliable protank.

and yea, those small screws and stuff are a pain to work with; i might order a bliss or something with better system like knurled nuts instead of slot headed screws.

I had some 400 mesh ss but after reading the reviews on cotton I've been trying that. Can ejuice cause a short?

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
I had some 400 mesh ss but after reading the reviews on cotton I've been trying that. Can ejuice cause a short?

is it citrus?

generally i dont think so; but if its acidic like citrus i suppose theres a maybe in theory but not likely an eliquid manufacturer would make that mistake for very long

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
8 and 9 watts on a top coil sounds real high to me; gotta twirl

wouldnt it be great if yu had 2 glass hollow rods going down to the eliquid one with one of those rubber squishy things to pump air in the tank that forces eliquid to shoot up the other glass rod and fall on your cotton and coil at the top; that's what i call liquid feed

oh- fuel injection!

btw isn't the ce4 working just fine on the vamo?

Keynith

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 13, 2011
Atlanta
I doubt the vamo has any wrong doing in this. You should look at getting a kanger protank or something similar and buy the replaceable coils. You just fill up the tank, install the atomizer head, and screw it on the vamo and your good to go.

Do you actually have any experience building coils? People new to vaping shouldnt be jumping into advanced things until they work up to it. I started out with a 1000mah 510 battery, then to an ego, then to ego twist, then to a vamo. As far as cartos/atomizers I started out with cartomizers that had polymer filling that you soaked e liquid into, then to a smoketech dct with punched cartos, then to a protank and clearomizer, then to an RBA.

Along the whole way, I gained experience with how to trouble-shoot when things go wrong, which is what you miss out on, if your just beginning and going straight into advanced devices. Takes time, and sometimes watching videos doesn't make up for hands on experience. You'll figure out, and then you'll never want to use tobacco again!

Varelse

ECF Veteran
Jan 21, 2014
Western Central IA
8 and 9 watts on a top coil sounds real high to me; gotta twirl

wouldnt it be great if yu had 2 glass hollow rods going down to the eliquid one with one of those rubber squishy things to pump air in the tank that forces eliquid to shoot up the other glass rod and fall on your cotton and coil at the top; that's what i call liquid feed

oh- fuel injection!

btw isn't the ce4 working just fine on the vamo?

I've come up with so many invention-like ideas while building coils and working with the aga I know what you mean. Should'a gone with a more simple vv/vw combo. Nothing against the Vamo.

I'm confident I'm building tight mini coils, is it possible to over oxidize?

On the Ce4 it works OK but the flavor, TH and pull are weak. I have to vape stealthy at work -as long as no one says anything I'm OK but one snitch doesn't like it and my vaping at the desk is over. It's ok for home but I'm shooting for a one hitter quitter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread