Kayfun V5 problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr_HouseCat

Dec 7, 2016
Hi Guys,

Love the forum, i came here many times for answers and cool tips.
Being an avid vapor for a couple of years, i went trough the regular stages.
started with a 20€ pen-kit, upgraded to a box mod and rta and dripper, and then started making my own e-juice. At the moment i'm tinkering around with the kayfun v5, as i'm a big fan of mtl.

Now here is the problem, i've never had any problems building coils (my favorite is clapton for sure), or wicking stuff like the subtank mini or the smok tfv4/8, but the kayfun has got me stifled. no matter what i do, i can't seem to get the god-like flavor everyone keeps praising this atty for. It all just tastes muted. I've tried a number of builds(mostly clapton , playing with the airflow, playing with the wattage, played with the juice flow, spaced coils, micro coils, macro coils, Scottish roll, stuffing the max amount of cotton in there. nothing seems to work. so since i was using a new juice i got with the v5 (one mad hit - apple juice) i figured, maybe the juice just doesn't have that much flavor, and put some in my tfv8 baby beast, and my god, wouldn't you know it, it had a nice rich flavor.

i've been scouring forums trying to solve this puzzle but am unable to do so. i checked this forum since it had a thread on the v5 muted flavor, but the fix described was to use more cotton, and i already tried that.

Any advise would be much appreciated :D

Reactions: David Wolf

Mr_HouseCat

Dec 7, 2016
Hey. I've been using the kayfun for a couple of months now. I find that not stuffing too much cotton in helps it to wick. I've had more luck with simple builds than clapton or fused clapton. Right now I'm using a spaced coil 0.7 ohm at 20 watt. I think it's 25 gauge kanthal 2.5 inside diameter.
i have some 26 and 27ga kanthal laying around somewhere, i'll give that a go. thx for the tip !

daviedog

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 2, 2013
Florida
I put a Clapton (0.5ohm) in a Kayfun v5. It lasted... um... less than an hour before I pulled it out.
Mostly I use anything around 0.7-1.1 with a 3mm ID... just plain old normal Kanthal.
You nailed it. I've used every kfun but the 5.
They work best at +or- an ohm..

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
I agree with all posts above, gauges from 26 to 28 and resistances between. 7 ish to 1.4 ish. 2 to 2.5 coil diameter with basic kanthal and up to 25 ish watts. I think with larger diameter coils you wind up with to much wick tails (to thick ) in which your stuffing into the deck.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Mr_HouseCat

Dec 7, 2016
wow, thanks for the great responses guys!

i've tried and 27ga basic kanthal coil with an 2.5mm ID. It came out to around .8ohm.
the flavor was a bit better, but the mtl hit is still not to the point of what i got out of for example my subtank mini. But i did discover that if i do restricted lung hit of this baby with this setup... Flavor galore ! and my god it was glorious. so i'm starting to see the appeal. now i hope that with a bit more tinkering i can get the same result for a normal mtl

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
Hi Guys,
Love the forum, i came here many times for answers and cool tips.
Being an avid vapor for a couple of years, i went trough the regular stages.
started with a 20€ pen-kit, upgraded to a box mod and rta and dripper, and then started making my own e-juice. At the moment i'm tinkering around with the kayfun v5, as i'm a big fan of mtl.
Now here is the problem, i've never had any problems building coils (my favorite is clapton for sure), or wicking stuff like the subtank mini or the smok tfv4/8, but the kayfun has got me stifled. no matter what i do, i can't seem to get the god-like flavor everyone keeps praising this atty for. It all just tastes muted. I've tried a number of builds(mostly clapton , playing with the airflow, playing with the wattage, played with the juice flow, spaced coils, micro coils, macro coils, Scottish roll, stuffing the max amount of cotton in there. nothing seems to work. so since i was using a new juice i got with the v5 (one mad hit - apple juice) i figured, maybe the juice just doesn't have that much flavor, and put some in my tfv8 baby beast, and my god, wouldn't you know it, it had a nice rich flavor.
i've been scouring forums trying to solve this puzzle but am unable to do so. i checked this forum since it had a thread on the v5 muted flavor, but the fix described was to use more cotton, and i already tried that.
Any advise would be much appreciated :D
Welcome and glad you joined.

Reactions: ChelsB

ChelsB

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 12, 2016
California
Is this the kayfun v5? I accidentally took this from a friend and left my tank with them, am wondering what it is
78a047a78f8d5250d149304350c67831.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ChelsB

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 12, 2016
California
I agree with all posts above, gauges from 26 to 28 and resistances between. 7 ish to 1.4 ish. 2 to 2.5 coil diameter with basic kanthal and up to 25 ish watts. I think with larger diameter coils you wind up with to much wick tails (to thick ) in which your stuffing into the deck.

I'm using 26g kanthal. This is my first ever coil. Give me your honest opinion, how bad does it look?
907ea916461185643f1d2df00198b9e0.jpg

r055co

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 24, 2015
Seattle
I'm using 26g kanthal. This is my first ever coil. Give me your honest opinion, how bad does it look?

Not bad for a first coil, you wouldn't ever want to see my first one ;)

It's all about practice, the more you do it the easier it gets and you'll build better and faster. Heck I only started a year ago and I'm now spinning up everything from 24x2/34 -34x2/40 fused Claptons and playing with Ribbon Wire and looking to play with the more complex coils.

Just watch a lot of YouTubes, experiment with different methods, try your own, etc. and you'll come up with what works best for you.

Welcome to the Rabbit Hole, warning it's fun, addictive and in my case it's my "Zen" moment. Something about enjoying the fruits of your labor is just ................. what can I say other than Perfection ;)

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl

Not to bad, could be centered over the air hole a little better (at least it looks off centered in pic) the k5 is the only kayfun I don't own, so maybe it's different, but in all the others, most do the coil the other way where the leads are underneath, not on top. Besides that it's fine really, it doesn't need to be perfectly spaced out , for it really doesn't make it vape any better.

ChelsB

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 12, 2016
California
Not bad for a first coil, you wouldn't ever want to see my first one ;)

It's all about practice, the more you do it the easier it gets and you'll build better and faster. Heck I only started a year ago and I'm now spinning up everything from 24x2/34 -34x2/40 fused Claptons and playing with Ribbon Wire and looking to play with the more complex coils.

Just watch a lot of YouTubes, experiment with different methods, try your own, etc. and you'll come up with what works best for you.

Welcome to the Rabbit Hole, warning it's fun, addictive and in my case it's my "Zen" moment. Something about enjoying the fruits of your labor is just ................. what can I say other than Perfection ;)

Thanks so much! Yes, it is indeed a Rabbit Hole and I am enjoying this journey!

ChelsB

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 12, 2016
California
Not to bad, could be centered over the air hole a little better (at least it looks off centered in pic) the k5 is the only kayfun I don't own, so maybe it's different, but in all the others, most do the coil the other way where the leads are underneath, not on top. Besides that it's fine really, it doesn't need to be perfectly spaced out , for it really doesn't make it vape any better.

Thanks, it is a bit lopsided now that I look at it again. Good point on the leads, glad I posted the pic!

ChelsB

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 12, 2016
California
wow, thanks for the great responses guys!

i've tried and 27ga basic kanthal coil with an 2.5mm ID. It came out to around .8ohm.
the flavor was a bit better, but the mtl hit is still not to the point of what i got out of for example my subtank mini. But i did discover that if i do restricted lung hit of this baby with this setup... Flavor galore ! and my god it was glorious. so i'm starting to see the appeal. now i hope that with a bit more tinkering i can get the same result for a normal mtl

Isn't everyone SO helpful here?! I love all the info and advice!

r055co

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 24, 2015
Seattle
Isn't everyone SO helpful here?! I love all the info and advice!

Here's a couple other bits for what it's worth.
  • I do recommend geting a basic coil building kit, it's worth the investment. Coil Master makes a decent one, I started with a UD kit. It's great for beginners
  • Wire, do yourself a favor and stay with good quality wire. No wire isn't wire, like anything quality varies. The brands I recommend are Kidney Puncher, Atomizer Wick, Pure Atomist and Temco. Stick with them and you can't go wrong

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread