Not open for further replies.

Fidola13

Totally Stashed!
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 20, 2017
Boston
I’ve been using SS316L or SS 430 since I started building 2 years ago. I’ve been experimenting with different coil types and now wire. I decided to check out Ni80 since it seems to be popular.

I used both premade or simple wire Ni80 coils in 4 different tanks using different flavors. I get getting some weird bland taste to all the attys. And I didn’t dry burn the coils I just did a quick low watt pulse.

I’ve been scratching my head wondering why this is. I tried different flavors and different watts. Nothing changed.

Today I decided that I couldn’t vape what was left in these tanks and then it dawned on me that the common denominator was Ni80. The 2 RBAs I built w SS taste great as usual.

Quick google shows that I’m not the only one who’s had this experience but then I read of people having similar bad tastes from SS.

These were good quality wires that I fortunately bought on sale but theyre all being replaced to SS again.

Has anyone else here had a bad taste from a certain type of wire??

Reactions: stols001

dripster

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2017
Belgium
Dry fire them at low wattage so they gradually start to glow red-orange in like 3 seconds or thereabout. Repeat a few times, but don't let the build deck get overheated... try rubbing a few drops of water around the side of the build deck and/or blowing onto the coils if necessary.

Depending on how clean the wire is or just to be sure, you might also want to do a final rinse after the dry firing is finished. Next, you can let the coils and the build deck dry faster by vigorously blowing out most of the water before gently pulsing at low wattage, repeatedly until the coils are dry so each gentle pulse is now glowing them dark red. Keep pulsing them like this a few more times to get rid of the bit of a weird smell that rises up from the coils. Wait for the build deck to absorb some of the heat so it starts to dry, and, keep pulsing like this a few more times again, to make the build deck dry faster still. Usually by the time I prepared my cotton, which takes about a minute or two, everything will be completely dry.

A weird or metallic taste is often caused by having poor quality Ni80. I only use the best quality Ni80 that is smelted by Sandvik in Sweden, available from various many different brands. Other times, you'll find that something is wrong with the positioning of the coils, the airflow setting, the strength of your draw, the wattage setting, the wicking job, the juice control setting (if any), or any combination of some or all of these factors, and etc., or... how these factors all need to work near-perfectly together, as there usually isn't that much leeway to still arrive at the sweet spot.

Some people are allergic to nickel. I guess some other people's taste buds and Ni80 simply don't gel together well. But I don't believe the latter conclusion necessarily always is valid if there's an off taste. There's too many different variables at play to be able to always just go ahead and blame this, strictly personal, relationship with the metal type. Personally, I, use only coil types that are known specifically to be capable to adsorb juice out of the cotton fast enough to keep up with the speed of vapor production. Just keeping the wicks saturated doesn't always suffice for that, as there may be tiny hot pockets, or areas where the juice doesn't flow fast enough onto the coil's surface during the evaporation from start to finish. So complex coil builds using relatively thin wire are, at least in part, aimed towards preventing this from happening. Local variances in adsorption rate and in surface temperature can have a profound impact on the flavor performance limitations of any coil build using any metal type or using any combination of two or more different metal types, and that's also in addition to all else.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread