Mut_X V2 key/tool mod that makes it easier to use IMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

KeepItSimpleStupid

Oct 13, 2014
MD
so since I received my mutation x v2 everybody has found out that the key which comes with it for the triangle headed grub screws it's not too easy to use and/or it breaks and I have been thinking and racking my brain on how I can figure out a way to make this thing more convenient to use just like a regular precision screwdriver or any other type screwdriver for that matter or find a bit that can go into a standard screwdriver vice-versa find one somewhere, the bad part is that it's really small and I didn't know the size to search for up until last night and I wasn't having much luck finding anything online but when I found out each side is 1mm and that their used in watchmaking I searched some more and found all kinds of triangle headed tools but only down to 1.8mm NOT 1MM, so this can't be right....I looked up how the sizes are figured out for triangle headed screws and they are measure from 1 point straight threw to the opposite flat side which is not how we measured with the micrometer last night, so last night I came up with an idea I had a old SKC tool Phillips and flathead the smaller sides we're the same width as the MutX keys shaft so what a great idea can come from that, and I tried to pry the Phillips and flathead shaft out in doing so I broke off both sides when breaking off right before it broke off the second side I found that the shaft was one whole piece and it was not 2 pieces epoxy into the insert so I took a nail of the same width and two sets of vice grips and I proceeded to nail the shaft out, and the mutation X V2 key fits right in there, now the way it fits is that the 90 degree angle or the short side of the L can be the only side used when inserted, well I decided that wasn't good enough so I cut a groove in the main tube for the short side of the L to insert into the biggest reason I needed the long end usable is because that short side is a little too small like it wasn't made right l it doesn't work out too well so I wanted to share these pictures and share this idea maybe other people have the same type screwdriver and you can get them at Home Depot if not

Hopefully this works, I'm trying to do this from my Note 3, if not I'll fix it tomorrow

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread