Athens, Hellas
gg-goldengreek.com

wigglr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2011
Massachusetts
I just posted a question regarding this on the sticky. Sorry, Imeo! I didn't see this here... but according to my calculations

I'm not intending to be a stickler (or a**) but it will come off as anyway lol

The selling price at CoV with 10% discount was... $121.50
On December 20th (the date of the pre-order), the Euro-Dollar conversion made the 90 euro ody equal to $117.16.

Edit: This incident doesn't upset me because of the small price margin; however, I view a larger price difference as unacceptable if it is something you don't allow, Imeo.

Oddy

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 9, 2011
UK
don't think you can argue with such a small margin wigglr.
but i know of one reseller selling telescopes at double the retail!
I dont mind a few dollars/pounds/euro here or there.
There has to be obvious allowances for exchange rate,inflation,tax,ect but double mark up wth

Edit: just to add this doesn't represent there whole range, just odd item here or there.

Last edited:

Major

Supplier Associate
ECF Veteran
Mar 22, 2011
Panama City, Florida
www.ggecig.com
If I may - Imeo should be able to spend his time on his marvelous ideas for us. He has his other business and his family. He does not have time to chase resellers down who go against his wishes.

However there is a solution or two. THere are easy ways to make sure the resellersd abide by Imeo's wishes without a fight and a stink for Imeo. I will PM Imeo with a few ideas and maybe he will find them useful. If not, that is okay too.

The biggest thing is to keep things running so Imeo does not have to fuss with more things. Maybe after 35 years, the corporate law degree I wasted by becoming a policeman can maybe help for a change. ;)

Zogem

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 17, 2011
Atlanta
I don't think you can tell them what they have to sell GG items at pricewise, but as the manufacturer you've got the right to choose who resells your products, Imeo. A friendly reminder of that to the resellers who are marking things up might fix the situation.
Sure you can. Several companies do this. Apple probably the most notable, both for "brand protection" and also so the resellers have to compete on service and value-add rather than price.

That said, I have a free market mindset, if I don't like the price, I'll look to move $$$ elsewhere. A bit different in this case due to market exclusivity, the consumer is often without options.

(This a generalization, not an implied opinion of pricing at COV. Nor is commentary on Imeo's distribution model, it's common as well as fewer distribution channels keeps things simple).

-Z

dave18

Aug 7, 2011
malaysia
It's not just about selling prices. It's also about shipping/postage costs (and stock availabilty or rather lack of) and uneven distribution of stocks.You end up buying one item/part and freight as a percentage is so high it's ridiculous. I think parts sales should only be done by one agent e.g from Greece with a pre-order system. just my two cents.

fright88

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 21, 2011
Loveland CO
It's not just about selling prices. It's also about shipping/postage costs (and stock availabilty or rather lack of) and uneven distribution of stocks.You end up buying one item/part and freight as a percentage is so high it's ridiculous. I think parts sales should only be done by one agent e.g from Greece with a pre-order system. just my two cents.

That would drive up the individual part cost for anyone not in Greece.

Major

Supplier Associate
ECF Veteran
Mar 22, 2011
Panama City, Florida
www.ggecig.com
Guys I think the solution is easier than it may seem. Imeo cannot tell a seller you must sell for this price after he sells to them. It is much simpler than that.

Sellers simply must agree to abide by Imeo's price guide if they want to continue to be an authorized reseller. That is how you enforce a recommended price guide.

Sellers determine shipping costs, etc. based on their locale but by having regional sellers, the costs wont be that ridiculously divergent. Sure some sellers may test the waters but take the US seller.

All that was required was to bring to his attention that the prices were inconsistent with the price guide. Bruce sells many hundreds of items. There was no intent to make an extra buck. So all it took was a notice and he corrected the prices to reflect the Euro to USD exchange rate.

I would hope that all sellers would do the same. If not, no offense to anyone, they need to be replaced. There is too much communication among GG users for any seller to forget for too long. ;)

The bottom line is that selling GG's requires work yes but the right to sell GG's is an automatic sales item. With community support, it will be a simple matter for Imeo's price guides to be enforced or a new seller would be given the rights. Yes supply and demand is a driving force but Imeo does retain ultimate control.

A good business person is not going to risk losing future shipments and certain sales for a few dollars or Euros now. I hope that makes sense but we must have a system in place for Imeo to be able to focus on production of items and not sales issues.

Last edited:

Zogem

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 17, 2011
Atlanta
Guys I think the solution is easier than it may seem. Imeo cannot tell a seller you must sell for this price after he sells to them. It is much simpler than that.

Sellers simply must agree to abide by Imeo's price guide if they want to continue to be an authorized reseller. That is how you enforce a recommended price guide.

Sellers determine shipping costs, etc. based on their locale but by having regional sellers, the costs wont be that ridiculously divergent. Sure some sellers may test the waters but take the US seller.
Sure. That's what apple does. A reseller has a contract to resell at a specific cost. If they deviate the contract is void. No more inventory for them.

It's a no brainer for the fast moving items. Spare parts might be a bit different. From a business perspective, inventory that's sitting on a shelf waiting for someone to need it, is dead money; the ROI on that inventory could take time, and in the owners eyes is better invested in the fast moving stuff, but it's good customer service. I'm OK with a little bit of a premium on that emergency spring I might need, if I can have it "on demand".

IMHO, it can be somewhat self policing. Make the consumer aware of what the price should generally be and if it's not let the supplier associates know, and they can deal with it initially, and if it becomes problematic, Imeo can make an executive decision.

P.S. Spreadsheet updated with a discount mechanism to match COV pricing policies.

P.P.S I"m more than happy to keep it up to date.

-Z

Valsacar

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 16, 2010
Seoul
Since your dealing in multiple currencies, the prices will never match exactly. The question is, who takes the hit when the exchange rate changes.

Personally, I think (that is in MY opinion, the guy sitting here typing this, not the moderator of ECF, not ECF, MY opinion, not my wife's opinion, not my cup of coffee's opinion, MINE) the price should be set based off the rate the day Imeo is paid (assuming payment comes before items). To use Bruce, since someone already has, as the example, Today Bruce buys from Imeo at 1e = $2 (yes, magical made up numbers), next week when they are for sale the rate is 1e = $2.5, but he still sells as if it was 1=2. Same would be true for the opposite, if you do it the other way (where prices should reflect current rates) then it's not fair to the reseller, besides the extra work he could end up selling at a loss just to keep it at 90e. This would mean that each time he gets new stock the price may be slightly different, but oh well.

Zogem

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 17, 2011
Atlanta
Of course. The short term fluctuations of the exchange rate are going to be in the mix. And you're 100% correct on pricing being being based on COGS.

Looking at my 11/25 invoice, the price is quite different; 249 vs. 232 (pre discount). So bruce is obviously pricing based on the lot cost. And it's why it's my first stop if need anything.

I have no insight to this, but I can only assume the subject isn't initiated due to minor differences, but more likely a 'WTF' scenario.

-Z

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread