• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

Cake Recipes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lisa66

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 23, 2011
Florida
I know - zombie thread. However, some ladies were chatting about rum cakes and kahlua cakes, etc. in another thread here in TWR and it reminded me of this great recipe I've used many times. I love it because it's so easy but the result is an incredibly yummy and pretty cake worthy of special occasions. I've made individual mini-sized bundts too and the directions for those is at the bottom. I've been asked for the recipe many times and am a little embarrassed because I put so little effort into it, given the result.

RUM CAKE

Cake:

1 cup chopped pecans (or walnuts)

1 box yellow cake mix

1 3 3/4 oz. package instant vanilla pudding mix (make sure to use instant)

4 eggs

1/2 c. cold water

1/2 c. vegetable oil

1/2 c. dark rum (not the spiced type, but you could try)

Glaze:

1/4 c. butter (half stick)

1/8 c. water

1/2 c. sugar

1/4 c. dark rum

Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
Grease and flour a 12 cup bundt pan (a 10" tube pan would work).
Sprinkle nuts over bottom of pan.
Mix all cake ingredients together and pour over nuts in pan.
Bake 1 hour, remove, and set on rack to cool. When cool, invert onto serving plate.
Make small holes in the top of the cake with whatever tool you choose; toothpick, very small screwdriver (I like), etc. The deeper the holes, the better the cake soaks up the glaze.

For glaze:
Melt butter in saucepan.
Stir in water and sugar.
Heat at a low boil for 4-5 minutes, stirring constantly.
Remove from heat and stir in rum. (Do NOT add rum while still on burner - it will bubble up suddenly!)
Use a spoon to gradually apply glaze to top of cake, allowing it to soak down into cake, and letting some drip down the sides.

Notes:

You can dust the top with powdered sugar, but do it right before serving. Otherwise it will just sort of melt into the glaze.

For mini bundt cakes (six per pan, two pans needed) fill to 2/3 full and bake for 20-25 minutes. If I remember right this makes about 10 minis.

For Christmas, I've used red and green candied fruit to make "holly" for decoration by adding it to the bottom of the pan with the nuts, before the batter is poured in.

Edit: forgot - freezes well.

Last edited:

Serianna

ECF Veteran
Jan 21, 2012
San Diego
I do a spice cake mix from a box usually just sub half the water for the same amount of pineapple juice. I then shave some very expensive (it has to be for me!) semi sweet chocolate off my big block I keep in the deep freeze and mix that gently into the mix (for one box of cake mix I do at least 1 cup of shaved chocolate, not packed though!) Put it in mini bundt cake pans that were buttered, then dusted with powdered sugar, and bake as the box directions said to.

While those are baking I make the simple syrup with rum, I do 2 parts syrup to 1 part rum, and let it simmer until reduced by half. Let it cool on the stove, and then when cakes are cool, submerge into the simple syrup for a min, then set aside on a cooling rack that was placed in a half sheet pan to catch drips, do this to the rest, let them dry for about 10 mins, then repeat that process another 4 or 5 or 6...or more times Let them rest for at least 24 hours on the drying rack then you can vacuum seal them and freeze for future use, or just dig in

Fudgey

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 22, 2010
Oklahoma
CHOCOLATE - KAHLUA CAKE

1 box chocolate cake mix
1/2 c. vegetable oil
1 pkg. (6 oz.) instant chocolate pudding mix
4 eggs
3/4 c. Kahlua liqueur
1/2 c. water

6 tbsp. Kahlua liqueur
1 c. confectioners' sugar, sifted

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Combine first 6 ingredients in mixing bowl and blend well. Pour into greased and lightly floured 9 1/2 inch Bundt pan. Bake 45-50 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly touched.

Combine 6 tablespoons Kahlua and confectioners' sugar. While cake is still warm in pan, poke holes in cake; pour liqueur mixture over cake. Allow cake to cool in pan at least 2 hours before removing

Serianna

ECF Veteran
Jan 21, 2012
San Diego
Haha I bake, just not quite as often as I wish I could. From april through december its too hot here to ever bake, the trailer we are in gets 10 degrees hotter than it is outside, and with the oven running it gets even hotter, and with 110 to 120 degree days (only dropping to 90 to 100 at night.) I can only really bake in the winter, and then finding the time and energy.... I am going to bake tonight though, have company coming over for the first time in over a year!

Fudgey

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 22, 2010
Oklahoma
Easy peasey one for ya:

box of Angel Food cake mix
1 can crushed pineapple

Mix together. Pour into angel food cake pan and bake. Great for those limiting their sweets. Um, but not if you eat the whole cake by yourelf :blink:

DH will like that one!!

Do you drain the pineapple?

Cisme

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 18, 2011
Arizona
this thread is DANGEROUS !!! Love it!

(now to find someone who bakes to make these for me ;) )

:thumbs:

Haha I bake, just not quite as often as I wish I could. From april through december its too hot here to ever bake, the trailer we are in gets 10 degrees hotter than it is outside, and with the oven running it gets even hotter, and with 110 to 120 degree days (only dropping to 90 to 100 at night.) I can only really bake in the winter, and then finding the time and energy.... I am going to bake tonight though, have company coming over for the first time in over a year!

I have that same problem, Serianna, makes the a/c run for a looooong time so only winter baking for me, too. Wish I had the ingredients for any one of these, would have been fun for Valentine's Day.
eating cat.jpg

CES

optimistic cynic
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2010
Birmingham, Al
Easy peasey one for ya:

box of Angel Food cake mix
1 can crushed pineapple

Mix together. Pour into angel food cake pan and bake. Great for those limiting their sweets. Um, but not if you eat the whole cake by yourelf :blink:

dang it- someone came up with one suitable for my cooking skills- and it sounds good too. Good thing i don't have an angel food cake pan. whew.

Cool.....have to try it!!

We cook cake in the summer time using our roaster oven, no heating up the house.

images

oK- how do you back a cake in a roaster?

Fudgey

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 22, 2010
Oklahoma
Weird......but it cooks it just like a regular oven.....you do have a keep a close eye on it. And make sure to put the rack in the bottom so the pan isn't touching the bottom. DH cooks angel food cakes in them in the summer. Not sure if a large cake pan will fit but you can do a round pan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread