Warning! Fire hazard with manual usb passthrough!

Status
Not open for further replies.

crowntuner

Oct 14, 2009
I suggest that this be made into a sticky :(.

okay, so....

First of all I'd like to say that I really wish I took a photo. Secondly I'd like to say that I think this should in no way reflect badly on Steve or Vapor4Life.com. I think that this is the sort of thing that can happen with a new product, and certainly with every mass-produced product, but that this is really important to mention.

Today, my Manual USB Passthrough for KR808d-1 from vapor4life.com nearly caught fire. I was vaping with the passthrough at my friend's house with the passthrough connected to my laptop. I took a puff and put the passthrough down and went to the bathroom. Well, 10 minutes later, I get back to the living room and see my manual passthrough w/cartridge smoldering on the couch. Not vapor, there was an actual "beginnings of a fire" on my friend's couch (charring under where the passthrough had been.) As far as I can tell, the button got stuck inside the casing. I picked up the whole device, melting cartridge and all, and pulled it out of the USB port. When I looked at it, I noticed that the button had "clicked" in and gotten stuck inside the casing of the passthrough.

I am using the USB passthrough right now (I really prefer it to the battery) and the button on it certainly doesn't feel "right" anymore. Now, I've only had the whole kit and kaboodle for about two weeks, so I don't think it should be like this.

I'm not writing this to single out V4L. Their service has been great so far and I am going to ask them today if I can exchange my passthrough.

*Got an e-mail from V4L today, they're sending me a new passthrough. Thanks guys :).

I AM WRITING THIS BECAUSE EVERYONE WHO HAS A KR808d-1 AND USES A USB PASSTHROUGH SHOULD MAKE 100% SURE THAT THEIR PASSTHROUGH IS "OFF" (OR UNPLUGGED - I KNOW I'LL BE UNPLUGGING) WHEN THEY ARE DONE VAPING.

:(.

Last edited:

whistlrr

ECF Veteran
Sep 10, 2009
Michigan's Knobbywristbone
Another suggestion. If you just remove the cartomizer from the passtrhough, instead of unplugging it from the USB, no heat would be generated if the button got stuck, is that right? Just a guess.
I don't know anything about this particular model since I don't own one, but I do have passthroughs for other models (901, m401, 801 etc) and I would guess you'd still be at risk of the heating issue, just like you would if it were a battery that got stuck to on, with or without the rest of the assembly

there'd still be a danger in this, the 'battery' part of the passthrough would still be able to generate heat (and risk damage to itself and surroundings) would be my guess

whistlrr

ECF Veteran
Sep 10, 2009
Michigan's Knobbywristbone
hmmm, I leave an auto pass through connected to my USB port at work all the time, wonder what would happen if the pressure switch failed and it got stuck on, guess I better unplug....
I would also take a good guess that auto passthroughs are at far less danger of this (unless you somehow left it in a really windy place or a place that vibrates or is really super noisy)

It sounds like this particular passthrough was a manual and the on button got hung up stuck pressed down inside the casing (I actually had that happen on my 510 on a regular manual battery but only for a half second and since I was sitting right there and had just used it and I caught it quickly very quickly (by the battery still being lit up) and pressed on it again to make it let go and all was well, but I do now kinda keep an eye on my manual 510 batteries. I also don't take a 510 with me in my fannypack for fear it might get its button bumped up against something else while in there)

Last edited:

crowntuner

Oct 14, 2009
Yeah, just to dovetail on what dale said -

I do have to say that the sheer fact that the cartridge did not hit a burning point was impressive. When I got to it, the plastic "cap" on the end part had melted off into an oval shape, as had the inner rubber "juice-blockey-thingey."

I'm not going to stop using my KR808d-1 - in fact, I am ordering an extra-long battery from V4L today, as well as some new cartridges. I did think that it was important to report this to the community, though - I've no doubt that if I'd been in the bathroom longer than I had been, or worse, left the house, that my friend's couch would have began to smolder and eventually catch fire. There is a melted/scorched part on the couch right under where the cartridge had been.

and of course, I urge everyone to UNPLUG, UNPLUG, UNPLUG their manual or automatic USB passthroughs. The passthroughs are great for the extra power that they've got - mine produces waaaay better vapor than the batteries. That said, UNPLUG, UNPLUG, UNPLUG. There certainly could have been a fire. If, by some crazy chance someone from the actual manufacturer of the KR808d-1 is reading this forum, well, then Sir/Madam, I must strongly suggest that you review the design of your USB passthroughs or put a time limit (maybe 30 seconds?) on them. E-cigarettes are having enough regulatory trouble as it is without a reputation for starting fires...

blackbug

ECF Veteran
Jun 23, 2009
Berkshire, UK
www.eciggypedia.com
I leave mine plugged in overnight because my USB adapter is tricky to get to, but I loosen the cartomizer enough that the circuit can't be closed. Doesn't take much; half-turn should do it.

You could get a USB hub, or an extention cable to put on your desk and use that. There might even be ones with on off switches.

Moonstruck

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 4, 2009
Colorado
I'd like to mention that it's not just the KR808D-1 PT. I started vaping with a 901, and I had 2 of the 901 passthroughs burn up on me.

The first one actually burned through the wire at the end of the battery. I had left the room for only a few minutes. From another room I heard this loud popping noise, and the PT was burning. I'm sure it would have caused a fire if I hadn't returned when I did.

With the 2nd one, I was still sitting at my computer when the button stuck. I had it plugged into a USB port on the back of my CPU, and it got pretty darn hot before I could get it pulled out.

So don't leave them plugged in -- ever -- if you leave your computer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread