Top Coil or Bottom Coil Clearomizers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpinDr480

ECF Veteran
Jun 9, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
I was curious to know which people prefer and why? What are the pros and cons of bottom vs top.

I have a few of each:
Top: iClear 16 & 30, Viva Nova and CE6
Bottom: iSmoka, ProTank, T3M

For me,

Top Coil Pros:
Better Throat Hit
My wicks seem to last longer

Top Coil Cons:
Seem to burn juice faster
Harder to Refill (except mini nova)
Burnt Taste on the CE6's alot

Bottom Coil Pros:

Easier to refill tanks
The replacement wicks seem cheaper to me
No dry hits
They seem to have more options for tank sizes

Bottom Coil Cons:
Coils don't last as long for me.
More airy draw on ProTank (Can be good or bad)

I know some say the bottom coils leak more, but for me the top coils leak just as much out of the top of the cap, except for the Mini Nova. I think my tank preference so far has been the Mini Nova, except it has trouble making connection with my battery at times. Thoughts?

Thayamax

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 7, 2013
Southeast Michigan
I prefer the cooler vape of the bottom coils. I've never had a leaking problem from any of them and I don't mind the airy draw on the ProTank.

Top Coil Pros
Hmmm

Top Coil Cons
Vapor too hot
Harder to clean
Harder to fill
Dry hits
Needing to tip & twirl to keep wicks wet

Bottom Coil Pros
ooler vapor
Easy to fill
Easy to clean
Cheaper heads
No long wicks
No dry hits
No need to tip & twirl to keep wicks wet

Bottom Coil Cons
Hmmm

sawtoothscream

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 26, 2013
United States
I have used 2 bottom coils and only nova style topcoils.

bottoms have a cool vap, I like it a little warmer

the airy draw on the protank isnt a huge concern but the extremely muted taste I get from it is. I would rank the protank below my brothers $8 ismoka in terms of flavor. vap producution wise I get huge clouds from top and bottom.

so idk like the idea of the bottom coils but that extremely muted taste is a huge turn off on the protank for me. hoping a cotton rebuild will help because I would like it alot more if the flavor was better.

SpinDr480

ECF Veteran
Jun 9, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
I have used 2 bottom coils and only nova style topcoils.

bottoms have a cool vap, I like it a little warmer

the airy draw on the protank isnt a huge concern but the extremely muted taste I get from it is. I would rank the protank below my brothers $8 ismoka in terms of flavor. vap producution wise I get huge clouds from top and bottom.

so idk like the idea of the bottom coils but that extremely muted taste is a huge turn off on the protank for me. hoping a cotton rebuild will help because I would like it alot more if the flavor was better.

Yeah, that's my next venture into vaping is learning to rebuild...I just heard the cotton makes the flavor alot better. I think I will get some supplies this week, so I have a project to tackle this weekend instead of hitting up shops and buying juice everytime I get bored.

sawtoothscream

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 26, 2013
United States
Yeah, that's my next venture into vaping is learning to rebuild...I just heard the cotton makes the flavor alot better. I think I will get some supplies this week, so I have a project to tackle this weekend instead of hitting up shops and buying juice everytime I get bored.

ya, im going to order some wire and cotton cheese cloth and give it a go soon. figured I might as well use this head up and see if it gets any better first. Tried removing a flavor pad from one head and it started leaking into my battery, then I broke it trying to put it back. oh well ill use that for the rebuild head.

jimrug1

ECF Veteran
Jun 27, 2012
Peoria, IL
I like the top coil clearos. My goto at the moment is the dual coil Vision CE5 w/ replaceable heads. Pros: Its easy to clean, tons of vapor, No leaking bottom leaking and the most reliable for me. Cons: Burns juice fast, Slightly muted flavor, Leaks into the drip tip occasionally.

Second: Vivi Nova Mini. Pros: Never leaks at all, easy to fill, easy to clean and rebuild, Great Vape once its Primed. Cons: Only certain types of juices works well in it, Burns juice fast, Have to endure a few dry hits to get it going.

I like the idea but have not had good luck with bottom coils. I have two Protanks. They both produce tons of vapor when full but I can barely tell my juices apart. No taste. Also, if I let them get past half full, they start gurgling and leaking all over my batteries. They are also quite top heavy on my spinners. I have not tried any other bottom coils so can only comment on the Protank.

Last edited:

MsComptrtchr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 30, 2013
Tucson, it's a dry heat
Does anybody else thing that top coils just look weird? I still have this vision of PBusardo with strings hanging off his head as he mimicked a top coil in one of his videos.

I'd imagine a BCC would be easier and cheaper to rebuild for the simple fact that they use so much less wick.

Glen Snyder

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
I'm getting about 2 months out of my Kanger T3 and MT3 heads. Only had the Protank for about a month and still on the first coil. I've been rinsing the heads with hot water, removing the post and lightly brushing any build up off the coil every other fill. Then replace the flavor wicks or add a couple pieces of 1 mm silica if the old wick is deteriorated too much.

For the Protank 'airy' draw try using the beauty ring in a way that it is as tight as possible without over tightening to the PT base. Wrap Teflon tape over the gap between the base and beauty ring then make pinholes in the tape where it covers the air channels to suit your desired draw. I won't recommend taking the flavor wicks out. It wasn't designed to work like that and it's the only time I've had issues with any of my bcc's flooding or leaking onto the battery.

I got T3S bases for my T3's last week. The coils are very much like the Evod and PT coil and screw into the base. It makes any rebuild of the T3S so much easier, at least for me, because you don't have to work inside the base to get the rubber insulator back in the shaft end. If you don't want to rebuild the coils, they're only about $1.25 - $1.50 each in a blister pack of 5 from a variety of vendors.

Got an e-mail from Kanger last night announcing that they now have the T3S and MT3S in stock. You can check them out here ==> Kanger T3S Clearomizer – KangerTech
Kanger MT3s clearomizer – KangerTech

Coastal Cowboy

This aggression will not stand, man!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2013
Alabama Gulf Coast
www.ibleedcrimsonred.com
I got T3S bases for my T3's last week. The coils are very much like the Evod and PT coil and screw into the base. It makes any rebuild of the T3S so much easier, at least for me, because you don't have to work inside the base to get the rubber insulator back in the shaft end. If you don't want to rebuild the coils, they're only about $1.25 - $1.50 each in a blister pack of 5 from a variety of vendors.

I'm not rebuilding any more coils. It was a fun experiment just to show myself that I could do so. But with the replacement heads selling that cheap, it's not worth it. I also clean my tanks fairly frequently.

FISH4HC

Apr 5, 2013
CALIFORNIA
I started with tc and the vivi novas but Im sold on the bc now. My opinion is that my novas muted flavor. My evod produces awesome flavor and has been pretty reliable. I find that you cant let it run to low on juice though as it seems to get a slight leak and you get a little shot of juice in the mouth every once in a while. But keep it full and zero problems. Plus attys are like a dollar something. Next on my list is the ismoka.

WhatSheSaid

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2012
Duncan, OK
I love the idea of bottom coil, but in theory they tend to disappoint. Top coils are annoying as all get out, but I've had the best luck with them so far. I'm trying to get into the bottom coil thing, though. I have Evods and a Protank and I make it work, but do get dry, burnt hits sometimes.

Sent from my Galaxy Note II on Straight Talk

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I prefer the cooler vape of the bottom coils. I've never had a leaking problem from any of them and I don't mind the airy draw on the ProTank.

Top Coil Pros
Hmmm

Top Coil Cons
Vapor too hot
Harder to clean
Harder to fill
Dry hits

Bottom Coil Pros
Cooler vapor
Easy to fill
Easy to clean
Cheaper heads
No long wicks
No dry hits

Bottom Coil Cons
Hmmm
:thumb: My sentiments exactly.

sawtoothscream

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 26, 2013
United States
I started with tc and the vivi novas but Im sold on the bc now. My opinion is that my novas muted flavor. My evod produces awesome flavor and has been pretty reliable. I find that you cant let it run to low on juice though as it seems to get a slight leak and you get a little shot of juice in the mouth every once in a while. But keep it full and zero problems. Plus attys are like a dollar something. Next on my list is the ismoka.

the ismoka is a pretty nice setup IMO. better taste then my protank, pretty warm vape for being a bottom coil( with the 2ohmheads) and no leaks at all. wish I bought one of them instead of the protank and most likely will end up buying one anyways for my vaporking battery

Wyld729

ECF Veteran
May 17, 2013
Portage Ind
Been Vaping for about a month in a half now! Started using ce5's & ce6's after a few weeks got a few Vivi Nova's. I didn't like having to tilt and rotate to help keep the wicks wet!

Got me a Kangertech t3s a few weeks ago. Put all top coil parts in a bowl on top my fridge. Haven't touched them since! lol

Very next day ordered 2 Protanks and plenty of extra coils heads! The extra air doesn't bother me a bit I prefer it actually. Less dry hits...better flavor...less parts to clean. Bcc all around better Vape experience for me!!

Barbara21

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 21, 2013
Greenville, SC, USA

Top Coil Cons
<snip>

Bottom Coil Pros
<snip>

I don't have enough experience to really comment on top-vs-down. What I think is amusing is that a point someone thinks of as a 'con', I think of as a 'pro'. I use egos and tend to hold them almost horizontally so I suspect a bottom coil feeder wouldn't work for me at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread