Temperature control - just a gimmick or standard of the future?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oberon75

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 26, 2014
Roseville, Mi, USA
Thanks for your advise.
Do you have any experience with not twisted 28 gauge nickel wire? And if you have how does it compare to twisted 30 gauge nickel wire?
I played with it briefly from a small portion the guy gave me to sample when I bought my Hana. It was definitely better then 30g but still had it's quirks due to being a softer wire compared to Kanthal. Twisting nickel tight with a drill however makes makes nickel harder and easier to work with. I'm going to buy some 32g shortly and see the results in twisting to make dual coils.

Sent from my HTC One M8 Harman/Kardon edition

RCHagy74

ECF Veteran
Jun 30, 2014
Niverville, NY, US
So, there isn't major difference between PG and VG in temperature mode (of course PG is more the flavour carrier and VG produces more thicker vapor)
and it all depends more about personal preference and used temperature, amount of air flow and your build inside. Correct me if I understood wrong.

Yup, you understood my rambling. Most everything will be atty, build, settings, airflow and what you end up enjoying most. ni200 is cheap. Change the coil often until you find what works for you.

Naon

Mar 15, 2015
Finland
I played with it briefly from a small portion the guy gave me to sample when I bought my Hana. It was definitely better then 30g but still had it's quirks due to being a softer wire compared to Kanthal. Twisting nickel tight with a drill however makes makes nickel harder and easier to work with. I'm going to buy some 32g shortly and see the results in twisting to make dual coils.

Okay. I already have 28g nickel wire but now I'm thinking should I also order some 30g nickel wire for twisting with a drill. :laugh: So, with your experience and knowledge, should I also order some 30g nickel wire or is the 28g nickel wire enough for beginning? I mean, is it easy enough with 28g nickel wire or should I gain experience about temperature control with twisted 30g nickel wire at first?

Oberon75

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 26, 2014
Roseville, Mi, USA
Okay. I already have 28g nickel wire but now I'm thinking should I also order some 30g nickel wire for twisting with a drill. [emoji23] So, with your experience and knowledge, should I also order some 30g nickel wire or is the 28g nickel wire enough for beginning? I mean, is it easy enough with 28g nickel wire or should I gain experience about temperature control with twisted 30g nickel wire at first?
It seemed easy enough but like I said, I only made one coil. I did find twisted 30g to work very well. And I believe I paid under $8 for 100ft 30g on Amazon.

Only noticed a funny taste with nickel once and that was because I forgot to clean the wire (I drag out the desired length, grab hold tight with a paper towel and pull. Do that 5-6 times. Have not noticed anything funny since).

This is the only thing that scares me a bit. Nickel is not good for you, and from what I have read contributes to all kinds of scary health problems.

Otherwise, I'm really excited about it personally. This is the first time I've been interested in a variable wattage device. That and the size factor of some of the new boxes seem more reasonable. I have a Vaporshark DNA 40 on order — I'll let you know what I think when it arrives. The first time I taste nickel is probably the last time I will use it in that mode though. Scary.

Does anyone actually know why they need to use nickel in the first place. I can only assume that they are calculating the temperature based on the change in resistance and/or voltage as the coil heats up, which they can only do accurately with a non-resistence wire? Any scientists around?

Last edited:

coreyoli

Oct 5, 2014
This is the only thing that scares me a bit. Nickel is not good for you, and from what I have read contributes to all kinds of scary health problems.

Otherwise, I'm really excited about it personally. This is the first time I've been interested in a variable wattage device. That and the size factor of some of the new boxes seem more reasonable. I have a Vaporshark DNA 40 on order — I'll let you know what I think when it arrives. The first time I taste nickel is probably the last time I will use it in that mode though. Scary.

Does anyone actually know why they need to use nickel in the first place. I can only assume that they are calculating the temperature based on the change in resistance and/or voltage as the coil heats up, which they can only do accurately with a non-resistence wire? Any scientists around?

You nailed it... Nickel resistance changes with temp... It's not perfect but pretty damn close...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread