Spring contacts - all you need for current transitioning without wires

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dear modders,
I found these spring contacts ( Interconnect Solutions including, PGA, BGA DIP and SIP Sockets ) while searching for something to carry the current between the atomizer flange and the PCB in my mods. They have up to 3A current capabilities and there are so many different types, so one could find the right one for nearly any occasion.
More, there are both through hole and SMD types. They are so miniatiure, so you could use them in both places - to carry the current between the atomiser and the PCB and also between the charging connector and the accu for example.
Here are some usefull links for the appropriate types:
0928 - Brass Alloy Spring-Loaded Pin - Mill-Max Mfg. Corp.
Machined Pin-Receptacle Search Results
I hope this info would be helpfull for modders looking for a replacement of wires......:2cool:

Last edited:

Sci

ECF Veteran
Dec 12, 2009
Al
Dear Sci,
Glad to help. Tomorrow I'll post an example of using such spring contacts im my future mode, based on UltraFire TR17670 1800mAh protected battery. I'll show a cross section of the mode, so the contacts, tactile switch, PCBs, accu, flange and passtrough power connector could be seen.

Sounds great. I'm looking forward to seeing them in use. How do you like those 17670 batteries? I know an 18650 will last a day or two, I was wondering the 17670s.

@Soundwave, I just checked the links Nick posted & they came up fine for me.

Hi again,
Please find attached the cross section of the cigar. This example shows the usе of spring contacts on both ends of the cigar - contact between the pass through charging connector and (+) of the accu and between the flange and the power PCB. This is just an example and the connection between the power PBC and (-) (back PCB) of the accu could be carried by a board to board 2,54 connector. More - it is cheaper. Thus the back plastic spacer could be eliminated.

Sci,
I found the 17670 perfect, because it incorporates a protection PCB, but 18650 is more powerfull and also could be found with protection PCB. I charge 17670 each 3 days.

Soundwave,
The links work fine, no problem.....maybe there's a problem with your browser.....

Attachments

• Assem_pura_05.jpg
    Assem_pura_05.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 127
Last edited:
Last edited:
Hi again,
I forgot to mention about one very problematic contact between (-) and the case.
This contact could be easily made by a copper trace ( gold or HAL covered ) on the PCB edge ( pls. see the attached 3D section ).
When screwing the flange cap to the case, the spring contacts to the PCB first, and fastening the cap to the case provides the (-) contact -> back PCB ( edge trace )->flange cap->case->front cap->charging connector.
So, everything seems to be O.K. with (-).

Attachments

• Assem_Flange_PCB.jpg
    Assem_Flange_PCB.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 65
Dear friends,
Here are some pictures which are usefull for making a real mode besed on the spring contacts ( Coda Systems : Coda Systems Limited PC11 Series ).
This is a real mode I'm designing these days. The only problematic contact with not low enough resistance is the (-) -> the conical spring.
Hope someone could propose a better idea for the (-) contact.

Attachments

• Modul_elektronika_razrez.jpg
    Modul_elektronika_razrez.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 48
  • Assem_modul_elektronika.jpg
    Assem_modul_elektronika.jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 49
  • Assem_kapa4kaflanec_button_5mm.jpg
    Assem_kapa4kaflanec_button_5mm.jpg
    12.9 KB · Views: 49
misterD,
YES....no wires, just spring contacts between cartridge flange and electronics, between battery and case. The total voltage losses are so small. The voltage across the heater is just 0.1V lower than the accu voltage.
Front part of the e-cig is chrome plated aluminium, and the tube is chemically plated in black.
I think to offer more color designs based on special hot vacuum foils. Pictures - very soon.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread