Soldering Kit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Malorum

May 7, 2012
Orlando, FL
Hello everyone. I am looking for some purchasing advice on a soldering iron and/or kit that any of you can recommend. I figured i would ask here first before window shopping for one. My girlfriend has a habit of breaking her C Twists and rather than just buy new ones id rather just solder the wires back onto the circuit board. Eventually i am going to get her a better battery but its always good to have new toys to play with as well. If any of you have a good kit to recommend i would greatly appreciate it. Thank you.

Coastal Cowboy

This aggression will not stand, man!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2013
Alabama Gulf Coast
www.ibleedcrimsonred.com
Hello, welcome to the forum. Just curious: you seem quite confident in your PCB soldering skills for someone who does not have a soldering iron. Is there something I'm missing?

I was just thinking the same thing. At that level of detail, you don't need a soldering iron. You need a soldering pin. And it probably wouldn't hurt to invest in a jeweler's loupe to go with it.

aj_efff

Verified Member
Jan 1, 2013
South, Florida
Hello everyone. I am looking for some purchasing advice on a soldering iron and/or kit that any of you can recommend. I figured i would ask here first before window shopping for one. My girlfriend has a habit of breaking her C Twists and rather than just buy new ones id rather just solder the wires back onto the circuit board. Eventually i am going to get her a better battery but its always good to have new toys to play with as well. If any of you have a good kit to recommend i would greatly appreciate it. Thank you.

Honestly twist batteries are a pain in the ... to mess with when it comes to re-soldering them. Cause that means you have to pull the whole battery out and it could likely be the ground that is not soldered correctly, which is the problem most of the time, i've noticed that to get to this area you need to remove the little twisty button and you either break the plastic tabs that connect it to the chip on the inside, or you just cant get it all put back together. Im honestly not sure if anyone has executed this successfully yet, haven't seen much on youtube either.

Malorum

May 7, 2012
Orlando, FL
I never had a need for one at home so i've never purchased one but have a good bit of experience with them as an Aviation Life Support Tech from when i was in the Army. I never knew how to use one properly till i went through that school. Admittedly the parts that we had to solder at the research facility i worked at are quite larger than a PCB but i am pretty confident that i can do this just as well. All i need are the proper tools. I am sure many of you have kits yourself so i was looking for some good recommendations.

Malorum

May 7, 2012
Orlando, FL
Honestly twist batteries are a pain in the ... to mess with when it comes to re-soldering them. Cause that means you have to pull the whole battery out and it could likely be the ground that is not soldered correctly, which is the problem most of the time, i've noticed that to get to this area you need to remove the little twisty button and you either break the plastic tabs that connect it to the chip on the inside, or you just cant get it all put back together. Im honestly not sure if anyone has executed this successfully yet, haven't seen much on youtube either.

Good to know. My GF dropped her twist and the force of the fall pulled her Kanger MT3 and ego head of the Twist out of the battery. The black wire was ripped right off of the PCB as a result. It would probably just be easier to buy her some new Twists and say to hell with the old one but i don't mind a small project to do in my spare time.

Vapoor eyes er

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 13, 2011
Toronto, Ont.
Have soldered a few broken Twist wires to the PCB and it's no big deal. Usual cause was a cold solder. Just be careful about pulling the batt out too far and damaging the dial area. When putting it back together the "eGo" logo should line up with the button. Before putting it back together make sure the exterior button is "clicking" properly/ hasn't moved out of position from the PCB button.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread