Received broken DOTAIO

Status
Not open for further replies.

NoPluto

Jul 21, 2019
Firstly, hello to all! Hopefully this doesn’t come off as whining, that would be a lame first post.

I recently ordered a DOTaio, the week they were available for sale. I was beyond excited as I have always loved Dotmod gear and customer service and have been using their products for years. I still love Dotmod, and I’m not going to bash anyone at all. Just want to share my experience with this particular device, Incase anyone runs into the same issue before they damage the device or ruin coils trying to figure it out.

I received my Dotaio a couple weeks ago, and kept it new in the box, as I was waiting for new juice and batteries specifically for it. It was hard to wait but I got through it lol. Yesterday, my juice and battery came, and I was beyond excited to set my new device up and get to vaping. When I set it up, basically inserting the battery and filling it with juice, I read through the manual just to be sure I didn’t miss anything of importance. After doing that, I giggled, hit fire annnnd, nothing. I went through every step imaginable and after deciding the stock coil could be bad, I swapped to the second coil included with it and set it up again. Same thing, nothing but a blinking light, which indicates ‘no atomizer’. So reluctantly, I opened up the 5 pack of dotmid coils I bought for it, and tried again. Nothing. Tried another. Nothing. After the 5th coil I called it quits. I was extremely frusterated, let down, and feeling silly for wasting 5 coils and 10mls of juice. I should have probably stopped after the initial 2 coils but you know how it goes sometimes.

I guess this post was sort of for venting purposes. At the same time though, I wanted to let anyone who may be having or may have the same problem in the future, NOT to keep trying different coils. It’s not the coils. My best guess is that it’s the contact inside the mod itself, that the coil base/coil sits on. Just reach out to wherever you bought it and hope that the return process is smooth and quick.

All in all, I still can’t wait to use the Dotaio, besides it not working, it is a beautiful device and very well made. Felt great in the hand. Perfect size imo. Don’t let this discourage you from buying one if you’re in the market, but if you run into this issue, stop what you’re doing and email the seller.

That’s all. Sorry for the short story.

GOMuniEsq

Self-Proclaimed Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 25, 2012
Alberta, Canada
That's too bad. The main way I become aware of new brands is from newbies like you posting here about their problems. And I always ask myself: why did they buy that obscure device instead of one from a manufacturer with a proven track record? Looks like Dotmod is an American company so I'm surprised I haven't heard of them, and I'm certain their customer service will be excellent.

Welcome to the forum!

Reactions: stols001

NoPluto

Jul 21, 2019
That's too bad. The main way I become aware of new brands is from newbies like you posting here about their problems. And I always ask myself: why did they buy that obscure device instead of one from a manufacturer with a proven track record? Looks like Dotmod is an American company so I'm surprised I haven't heard of them, and I'm certain their customer service will be excellent.

Welcome to the forum!

Thank you! I’ve been vaping for 6 years now. Also been lurking ECF for years. Just now posting. Dotmod has been wonderful for me over the years. I think I just got an unlucky draw and received a defective device. It happens. Just sucks when it happens to you.

NoPluto

Jul 21, 2019
A veteran vaper then! It's probably just penny-pinching me being ignorant of the high-end gear market. I studiously avoid stabwood thread because it gives me mod envy.

Oh for sure! I have been penny pinching for the last year, switching over to AIOs. Splurged a little on this one, as its 2-3x more than most others. But I am in no way a high end guy anymore. If it works, and fits in my pocket, I’ll use it lol.

madstabber

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 20, 2013
Concoction Creating Cave
Yea dotmod has been around awhile and the gear is well thought of. I’ve never used any of their gear because I too am pretty ignorant of the high end stuff just because I can’t afford it but I occasionally window shop just to admire what I’ll never have. Hopefully Dotmod takes care of you, I’d imagine they will, but that sucks waiting to try your new setup only to have to wait longer. I hope you shared that you wasted coils and juice figuring out the problem because they may throw you some extra stuff for the waste and inconvenience. Best of luck I hope you love it when you do get to use it.

NoPluto

Jul 21, 2019
Yea dotmod has been around awhile and the gear is well thought of. I’ve never used any of their gear because I too am pretty ignorant of the high end stuff just because I can’t afford it but I occasionally window shop just to admire what I’ll never have. Hopefully Dotmod takes care of you, I’d imagine they will, but that sucks waiting to try your new setup only to have to wait longer. I hope you shared that you wasted coils and juice figuring out the problem because they may throw you some extra stuff for the waste and inconvenience. Best of luck I hope you love it when you do get to use it.

It does suck! And thank you! As far as letting them know about the juice and extra coils, I thought about letting them know that as well, but I didn’t want to make it look like I was squeezing them? If that makes sense lol. I am going to tell them though. It would be really cool if they compensate me for the wasted stuff, but at the end of the day, if I can somehow get a working device by the end of the week, I’ll be happy.

Topwater Elvis

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2012
Texas
The blinking light can signify more than ' no atomizer '.

Do you have the dry burn protection feature on or off?
Must be in off position unless using ss316 coil(s). Blinking purple.

What exact battery are you using?
If you're using a low quality cell with an insufficient CDR it will blink, or if it needs to be charged. Blinking red.

NoPluto

Jul 21, 2019
The blinking light can signify more than ' no atomizer '.

Do you have the dry burn protection feature on or off?
Must be in off position unless using ss316 coil(s). Blinking purple.

What exact battery are you using?
If you're using a low quality cell with an insufficient CDR it will blink, or if it needs to be charged. Blinking red.

I had it on. I was using the dotmod.3 ss316 coils when trying it every time. Oddly enough, mine came with 2* .3 coils instead of one .3 and one 1.6.

The battery I first tried was a brand new Sony VTC6. I also tried using a Sony VTC5A as well as a Samsung 25R. No dice. Thank you for trying to help. At this point I’m positive that there is some sort of short in the device itself. Not allowing it to read the atty.

• Optimistic

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Well good luck getting it sorted out, I hope it works for you or you can warranty it.

I heard dot mod sort of split into the Wake company? Some designers thought the gear was just way too expensive and not really "high end" as in made in China.

I think their stuff is absolutely beautiful looking, but I have heard some horror stories too.

Anna

NoPluto

Jul 21, 2019
Well good luck getting it sorted out, I hope it works for you or you can warranty it.

I heard dot mod sort of split into the Wake company? Some designers thought the gear was just way too expensive and not really "high end" as in made in China.

I think their stuff is absolutely beautiful looking, but I have heard some horror stories too.

Anna

I could see how someone might say that it is overpriced for being made in China, IMO, the quality warranties the $. Up until this time. I’ve never had anything not work from Dotmod and I have owned 30+ Dotmos devices/hardware. Cheers for being hopeful!

Topwater Elvis

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2012
Texas
I'd try it with the dry burn protection off, no harm in trying.

The reason I say this is the one I had never once fired with dry burn protection on using any of the 6 .3Ω mesh heads I tried.

The nautilus & triton mini heads work well in it if you have the adapter.

BTW, dotmod doesn't specifically state the .3 mesh heads are ss316.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I own a dotmod atomizer and I haven't finished dealing with it because in my opinion, it is way too complicated. The quality is fine. The quality, (IMHO) is no better than some clones or some other manufacturers I happen to enjoy.

I think the design elements are lovely and all that. I think that is what DotMod has going for it, certainly. I'm not knocking the company and I'm glad you have enjoyed their offerings. I have been tempted on multiple occasions and I can't speak to the vape yet because I haven't had the headspace right (going through some medical changes) to just sit down and deal with it.

Anna

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Firstly, hello to all! Hopefully this doesn’t come off as whining, that would be a lame first post.

I recently ordered a DOTaio, the week they were available for sale. I was beyond excited as I have always loved Dotmod gear and customer service and have been using their products for years. I still love Dotmod, and I’m not going to bash anyone at all. Just want to share my experience with this particular device, Incase anyone runs into the same issue before they damage the device or ruin coils trying to figure it out.

I received my Dotaio a couple weeks ago, and kept it new in the box, as I was waiting for new juice and batteries specifically for it. It was hard to wait but I got through it lol. Yesterday, my juice and battery came, and I was beyond excited to set my new device up and get to vaping. When I set it up, basically inserting the battery and filling it with juice, I read through the manual just to be sure I didn’t miss anything of importance. After doing that, I giggled, hit fire annnnd, nothing. I went through every step imaginable and after deciding the stock coil could be bad, I swapped to the second coil included with it and set it up again. Same thing, nothing but a blinking light, which indicates ‘no atomizer’. So reluctantly, I opened up the 5 pack of dotmid coils I bought for it, and tried again. Nothing. Tried another. Nothing. After the 5th coil I called it quits. I was extremely frusterated, let down, and feeling silly for wasting 5 coils and 10mls of juice. I should have probably stopped after the initial 2 coils but you know how it goes sometimes.

I guess this post was sort of for venting purposes. At the same time though, I wanted to let anyone who may be having or may have the same problem in the future, NOT to keep trying different coils. It’s not the coils. My best guess is that it’s the contact inside the mod itself, that the coil base/coil sits on. Just reach out to wherever you bought it and hope that the return process is smooth and quick.

All in all, I still can’t wait to use the Dotaio, besides it not working, it is a beautiful device and very well made. Felt great in the hand. Perfect size imo. Don’t let this discourage you from buying one if you’re in the market, but if you run into this issue, stop what you’re doing and email the seller.

That’s all. Sorry for the short story.

Hi NoPluto. Welcome to the ECF

It sounds like the Mod is Not making contact with the "Tank". Is there a Possibility that the Mod's center post is somehow stuck in a Down Position?

MrBojangles94549

Jul 22, 2019
I had this issue with both dotmod .3 coils and aspire 1.8 ns, both times I had cranked the coil in as hard as possible. When the metal disc above the bottom threading and o ring makes contact with the top of the airflow ring, (I'm guessing here) this causes a short or changes the patch of current, causing the chip to read this as either a coil or battery problem.
So dont fully tighten the coils, back one off a half or quarter turn and let me know what happens, it's easy to over do this and take the coil too far out which will cause it to fail to fire as well, the dot aio seems picky about this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread