Really helpful tools for coil builds?

Status
Not open for further replies.

molimelight

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 11, 2013
Columbia, MO
Beware of the Harbor Freight micro torches. I talked to a couple of guys that said they were OK but the igniters did not last. I went ahead and got one and fresh out of the package the igniter didn't work. It's not a big deal if you have a lighter handy. Just keep your expectations real.

Yea, I picked up a microtorch at Home Depot. Harbor Freight does have its limitations. ;)

Bernzomatic Butane Micro Torch

On the expensive side, but it's good quality and I'll use it for other things such as soldering.

Dogeggs

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 15, 2014
Southampton UK
Get yourself a Leatherman Style PS, it's a miniature Leatherman that is small enough to go on a keychain, and it has pliers small enough to hold a micro/nano coil whilst torching, small tweezers for wick pulling, a flathead screwdriver for your post screws and a pair of scissors for snipping wicks. Must-have bit of kit imo.

VanessaHuxtable

Sep 27, 2013
USA
I already mentioned this on another board but if you search rebuildable atomizer tool kit you can find them on eBay. Such a kit does already exist.

Rebuildable Atomizer Tool Kit

The only downside is that it doesn't bring some cotton or wire but those you can also find real cheap kanthal from Temco also on ebay and plenty of cotton from the local drug store.

Just adding my :2c:

daviedog

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 2, 2013
Florida
While searching for P&C at Walmart, saw some 1/16 inch knitting needles. Look like a big sewing needle. Form the coil on it, wick through the eye, viola perfect wick to coil tension.
I have a set of dissecting tweezers from college , yet hemostats are more efficient since they double up as a heat sink.
Torch with 'torch lighters' from my old cigar daze. A lot less fussy than solder torches .
Cool thread, just love tools..

aushizz

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 20, 2013
hopefully the beach
I already mentioned this on another board but if you search rebuildable atomizer tool kit you can find them on eBay. Such a kit does already exist.

Rebuildable Atomizer Tool Kit

The only downside is that it doesn't bring some cotton or wire but those you can also find real cheap kanthal from Temco also on ebay and plenty of cotton from the local drug store.

Just adding my :2c:

this kit doesn't seem worth it to me lots of extra of the same you can put together a better kit for cheaper yourself

If you are going to use cotton for wick, you need a really sharp pair of scissors. It is a bit frustrating to get the cotton just right in the coil and then pull it out when trimming with a pair of dull scissors.

fiskars micro tip scissors are great

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Rev. Stabard

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 9, 2014
Dark side of the moon
Get yourself a Leatherman Style PS, it's a miniature Leatherman that is small enough to go on a keychain, and it has pliers small enough to hold a micro/nano coil whilst torching, small tweezers for wick pulling, a flathead screwdriver for your post screws and a pair of scissors for snipping wicks. Must-have bit of kit imo.

Ya just had to mention Leatherman, did you? :) Of course, this started a search on pocket or keychain sized multi-tools to free up the clutter when building and wicking coils. Now, poorer for the worse of it, I got one coming on Monday. Thanks. No really, Thanks :)

P.S. Now I just need to see if I can mod it to replace one of the tools with a mandrel for building coils. I'd have it all!

Altitude000

Verified Member
Feb 10, 2014
Katy, Tx
dental.JPG I bought this 4pc Dental Picks Probe Wax Carver Set Stainless Steel DD310 for $4.25 on Ebay... Free shipping -- works for me for tucking wicks, and adjusting coil spacing... may be over kill - but - it's $4.25?? :) ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread