Quitting...

Status
Not open for further replies.

JuicedFlavors-Keith

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
So, after one year of half vaping and half smoking and another year of straight vaping I've decided it's time to quit. I've ordered 2 30ml bottles, 1 8mg and 1 0 nic (same flavor), planning on coming off of the nic habit smoothly.

My thoughts are that I will begin the the 8mg for a week or so, then do a bit of 8 and a bit of 0 throughout the day for another week or two and then on to straight zero and then done!

I'm 34 years old and started smoking when I was 15, almost 20 years of addiction and I'm excited to be liberated. I'm super happy that I found vaping as I tried everything else available and was never able to quit the analogs, hoping that my transition is as smooth as it was from analogs to straight vaping (doubt it, yet perhaps I'll get lucky). If anyone wants to chime in with some experiences I'd be happy to listen, otherwise I'll update this thread with my progress over the next few weeks before bidding the community adieu.

All the best,

Keith

Last edited:

pan

ECF Veteran
Jan 16, 2010
mchenry, il
congratulations on your accomplishments so far. My husband quit after a year of vaping. One day he had an atomizer die at work..made it through the day without it fairly effortlessly..and decided that night not to order a new one ..or borrow one of mine. He says it was much harder to switch from tobacco to the pv than it was to give up the pv. He has been nicotine (and pg)free for more than a year..with no regrets...good luck to you

Jibba73

ECF Veteran
Quick question... with all the foods that use propylene glycol in them, such as processed foods and frozen foods, how does he know which ones to avoid to stay PG free? I recently saw a dog food ad, that promoted PG free ingredients, didn't know if that was possible in non-organic only foods...

congratulations on your accomplishments so far. My husband quit after a year of vaping. One day he had an atomizer die at work..made it through the day without it fairly effortlessly..and decided that night not to order a new one ..or borrow one of mine. He says it was much harder to switch from tobacco to the pv than it was to give up the pv. He has been nicotine (and pg)free for more than a year..with no regrets...good luck to you

Jibba73

ECF Veteran
Sorry, there isn't a movement against PG. When companies try to make their food products seem like they are needed much more than another's food product, they just start listing off ingredients theirs do not have to show how little they put in the food... supposedly this makes the product more desirable. And this particular pet food was trying to outshine the Eukanuba food brand by listing that PG was also not in their food. Since PG is used in people food AND pet food to keep it safe from carrying viruses.

Personally not so concerned with PG, also didn't know there was a movement against it...

hairball

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 17, 2010
Other Places
That's great, very encouraging news! I've also decided to stop drinking (I'm just a casual drinker, yet have decided to treat my body better overall), which is usually the trigger for me really wanting to smoke. Thanks again for sharing!

Good for you. If I were you and with the holidays just around the corner, I would keep a small battery PV handy. You never know when you're going to celebrate and have a toast (hopefully with plain cider) and the craving gets triggered. It would be better to have some 0 nic handy than to light a cig. I know you said you are going to quit drinking but it's hard to do this time of year. Just a thought but I hope you quit both. Good luck to you Keith and please keep us posted.

JuicedFlavors-Keith

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Good for you. If I were you and with the holidays just around the corner, I would keep a small battery PV handy. You never know when you're going to celebrate and have a toast (hopefully with plain cider) and the craving gets triggered. It would be better to have some 0 nic handy than to light a cig. I know you said you are going to quit drinking but it's hard to do this time of year. Just a thought but I hope you quit both. Good luck to you Keith and please keep us posted.

Interesting thought, I didn't consider the Holidays :). I still have my original mod, the Prodigy 1 that is too beat up to sell, I'll keep that around just in case.

JuicedFlavors-Keith

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Quick update for everyone, I have my 8mg and 0mg of juice, as the 8mg 30ML goes down I am mixing in the 0mg. I've been doing this for about a week so far and don't have any of the usual nic fit symptoms that I am used to when I've tried to quit in the past, smooth as silk. More updates to come as I go nic-free!

JuicedFlavors-Keith

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Good luck. I'll be looking forward to updates, as I hope to eventually try to quit vaping.

I'm curious. You mention ordering 0 and 8mg juice, but you didn't mention what nic level you were using before?

I was at 32 when I first started vaping, for the past year I was at 16.

One thing to mention, I have had a few physical symptoms. My sleep is a bit off right now (waking up at weird times, not normal for me), and I have a crazy appetite, particularly for sweet things, which I don't usually ever touch. Otherwise still feeling quite good. I am down to about a 15ml of what I estimate to be about 1-2mg juice (I mixed in some straight PG as well as I have now emptied the full bottle of 0mg into the 8mg). Will be off of the nicotine in the next few days!

poolslime

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 24, 2011
Colorado
I was at 32 when I first started vaping, for the past year I was at 16.

One thing to mention, I have had a few physical symptoms. My sleep is a bit off right now (waking up at weird times, not normal for me), and I have a crazy appetite, particularly for sweet things, which I don't usually ever touch. Otherwise still feeling quite good. I am down to about a 15ml of what I estimate to be about 1-2mg juice (I mixed in some straight PG as well as I have now emptied the full bottle of 0mg into the 8mg). Will be off of the nicotine in the next few days!

Congratulations on your journey. I plan on eventually quitting vaping as well, but am taking it slowly. I can't believe I've gone more than a month without a cigarette.

Your increased appetite and sweet tooth are normal through the significant reduction of nicotine intake, and the eventual quitting. The first part is that nicotine causes increased dopamine production which acts as a reward stimulant and naturally happens for things like when we eat (this is also one of the many reasons nicotine is so addicting). The second is that nicotine causes your body to release adrenaline, which in turn signals the release of extra fats and sugars into the blood stream for fuel. This is the "fight or flight" mode that is often referred to, and can be a cause of anxiety when the affects start to dissipate when we are taking in nicotine. With your reduction, and eventual stopping of nicotine intake, adrenaline release is reduced as well as the adrenaline triggered release of fats and sugars. Both of these play a role in suppression of hunger pains as your brain is both constantly being rewarded, and your body is being fed by the extra release of fats and sugars. I've been vaping at 12mg for a bit now, and had spent about 2 weeks at 6mg. I noticed hunger pains much more often at 6mg than I do at 12mg.

What you are experiencing are actually good signs that your body is working to return to a normal balance.

Again congrats! I look forward to the day I am able to leave nicotine in the dust as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread