Provari V2.5 finishes

Status
Not open for further replies.

deryk

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 9, 2014
Edison, New Jersey, United States
I'm giving serious thought for my birthday present to myself to be a new Provari V2.5. I currently have a solid aluminum Tesla...about 10+ months of use....been dropped more times then I can count and kinda scratched up but works fine mostly(I do have the issue sometimes the button doesn't fire...but its not often and its seen some miles lol)

So, looking at the different finishes, are they painted on(Gold, Bronze, Black etc)? The Satin Silver and the Polished Stainless are they going to scratch off over time?

thanks
deryk

Ozwald

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 12, 2013
Montana
The colors (aside from gold, gun metal & the glow in the dark) are CeraKote. It's the same finish that's used on firearms. It's not painted, it's baked on ceramic.

The gold & gun metal are ZenCoat, a vaporized metal.

The Glow in the dark is new & I couldn't tell you what that is.

The satin is a raw tube that's media blasted (think sand-blasted, but with something other than sand). There's no coating to wear off.

The polished is also a raw tube but polished up to a mirror finish. Again, no coating.

The satin will show the least wear, because the scratches will blend in with the blasted surface much better. You can't repair it easily though. The polished will show very fine wear, but not a whole lot & you can repair it yourself quite easily. The ZenCoat & CeraKote models are pretty tough, but it's still a coating that can & will wear off with time.

Rickajho

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 23, 2011
Boston MA
With the polished you can buff out surface scratches. Because the satin is a "rough" blasted finish you can't polish out scratches. Any attempt to blend a scratch into the surrounding surface on a satin will usually only make things worse. Since neither of these finish types has a "painted" coating on it a scratch doesn't mean you are taking off a surface color, so if you tend to be a dropper dings are least noticeable on these two.

The Tesla, despite it's impressive looks, only has cheapy 33 Hz PWM electronics in there - and a really cheap fire button as you are finding out. (My Tesla fire button only lasted three months.) You are in for a big upgrade compared to what you have been using.

Last edited:

Ozwald

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 12, 2013
Montana
Oz, what do you mean by this "The satin will show the least wear, because the scratches will blend in with the blasted surface much better. You can't repair it easily though."

Repair?

thanks
deryk

Imagine you have two walls, one is painted flat white & one is painted with a splatter pattern. Now splatter a different color paint on each wall.

It's going to be pretty obvious on the white wall, but it'll blend in with the other one since it already has a pattern on it.

Now repeat, splatter more, and more, and more of that same color... eventually you're going to notice it just as much on both walls. With the white wall, you can just paint it white again & cover it all up like it never existed. On the other wall, you'll never be able to match that original pattern.

The satin is like the splattered wall. That media-blasted surface won't show the scratches at first. But once they keep adding up, you will notice them, but there's no easy way to restore it to it's original finish.

The polished is like the white wall. It will develop micro-scratches. You can apply a buffing compound & bring it right back to where it started. If it's just the micro-scratching from normal use, it really isn't that obvious (& if allowed to progress will turn into a beautiful patina)

This is an example of a well used, but well taken care of polished. If you look close, you can see some of the micro scratching - it's not scratched like it's been damaged, it's very, very fine. I don't have photos of a satin with similar age/treatment unfortunately.

deryk

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 9, 2014
Edison, New Jersey, United States
Thanks Rick,

Yeah i guess that would make sense about the finishes. I'm clumsy to say the least lol...so satin would make the most sense...I also work a physical job and go hiking and camping a lot so I know its going to get some use. I'm totally leaning towards the 2 year warranty just for peace of mind.

Honestly, I've always been happy with the Tesla...did what I needed for it to do...but I realize its not gonna last forever (it will be my backup Mod...) and I'm not rich but my birthday and good for treating myself lol.

Rickajho

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 23, 2011
Boston MA
Here's a ding in a satin. (that sounds weird - lol)

8P3javwl.jpg

Ozwald

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 12, 2013
Montana
Just to show what that micro-scratching will do over time, here's a great example of a true patina that's nearly 100 years old.

1936-stainless-steel-ford1.jpg

It's still shiny, but it develops a deep luster. It's caused by that micro-scratching & can't be replicated or forced.

That 1936 Ford Deluxe looked just like a Polished Provari at one time.

Rickajho

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 23, 2011
Boston MA
Thanks Rick,

Yeah i guess that would make sense about the finishes. I'm clumsy to say the least lol...so satin would make the most sense...I also work a physical job and go hiking and camping a lot so I know its going to get some use. I'm totally leaning towards the 2 year warranty just for peace of mind.

The hardest part of the process: picking the finish and color. :p

Honestly, I've always been happy with the Tesla...did what I needed for it to do...but I realize its not gonna last forever (it will be my backup Mod...) and I'm not rich but my birthday and good for treating myself lol.

Telsla was one of only two major failures in my vaping career - just because of the device being junk. I'm really easy on my gear but there is nothing you can do to prevent a button failure in a Tesla. The fire button in there is about what you would expect to find on the front panel of a DVD player - adequate, as long as you have no plans to push it much. Compared to that the fire button in a Provari looks like it came off an aircraft instrument panel.

Train2

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2013
CA, USA
I think, if I'm driving that car, I'd have to be puffin a Dragon.

Just to show what that micro-scratching will do over time, here's a great example of a true patina that's nearly 100 years old.

1936-stainless-steel-ford1.jpg

It's still shiny, but it develops a deep luster. It's caused by that micro-scratching & can't be replicated or forced.

That 1936 Ford Deluxe looked just like a Polished Provari at one time.

Gato del Jugo

ProVarinati
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2013
US o' A
I'm clumsy to say the least lol...so satin would make the most sense...

Only issue with that is, from my experience, full-size satin silver has less of a grip, at least compared to a cerakote..

And even between some cerakotes, there's a slight difference.. Out of my satin silver, black & bronze, the silver is the most slippery, and the bronze is the least..

Anyway, I believe it's been mentioned that the polished has more grip than the satin silver (not sure when compared to cerakotes)...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread