Not open for further replies.

TomCatt

Da Catt
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 8, 2011
Upland, PA
Came across this article:
Qualitative and quantitative compositions of fluids for electronic cigarettes - Springer
Pharmaceutical Chemistry Journal, Vol. 46, No. 11, February, 2013 (Russian Original Vol. 46, No. 11, November, 2012)

Mainly reported their NMR data (which I'm only very slightly knowledgeable of) and seemed to quickly skim over the MS data, which I'm more familiar with.

What struck me most though was:

According to various sources [1 – 4],
these fluids in addition to the obligatory vapor-forming component
(water) can be 1,2-propyleneglycol, glycerin, nicotine,
tobacco alkaloid (a mixture of the four principal tobacco
alkaloids including nicotine and anabasine), flavorings [in
particular, menthol, the appropriateness of using which in tobacco
products has been questioned by the US Food and
Drug Administration (FDA)]
, in addition to EtOH, ammonia
solution, antioxidant (so-called t-butoxytoluene, which is apparently
3,5-di-tert-butyl-4-hydroxytoluene), and tobacco essence,
which can contain hundreds of compounds extracted
from tobacco raw material by an appropriate solvent. Data on
the composition of compounds forming the aerosol that are
more accurate need to be collected in order to evaluate objectively
the medicinal effect of introducing e-cigarettes and its delayed consequences
and in addition to avoid making hasty conclusions about “the improvement of
the health of smokers and those around them”
[3].

Jeez, can we guess where these researchers interests lie?

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
I really do wish that the FDA would analyze the vapor from ecigs and publish unbiased assessments of the results. We all want to know what's in the vapor. The 2009 spectrographic readings didn't show anything alarming. Don't you think they've done more unpublished testing and reserved the results until a decision is made about ecigs?

If there were harmful chemicals in the vapor, I think it would border on criminality for the government to withhold that information. They regularly caution us about salt, sugar, and mundane dietary things that are commonly used. Why not ecigs if there's a dangerous component? Government could do better than outlawing 32oz soft drinks.

Last edited:

Petrodus

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2010
Midwest
I really do wish that the FDA would analyze the vapor from ecigs and publish unbiased assessments of the results.
I guess they might do that when ...
WhenPigsFly_ver2_zpse1f7e59a.jpg

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
I really do wish that the FDA would analyze the vapor from ecigs and publish unbiased assessments of the results. We all want to know what's in the vapor. The 2009 spectrographic readings didn't show anything alarming. Don't you think they've done more unpublished testing and reserved the results until a decision is made about ecigs?
I'm guessing there has been a lot more research on electronic cigarette vapor than we know about.
Most of it being done by those wishing to destroy electronic cigarettes.

If you are willing to buy into this idea, then you would have to believe they just aren't finding much of anything to be alarmed about.

But sometimes such studies might find little tidbits of things that might sound dangerous from a layman's perspective.
And then the ANTZ grab hold of such results and propagandize them with every ounce of strength and conviction they can muster...

Think Pru Talbot, Stanton Glantz, and Christina Gratziou.

Fiamma

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2012
So Calif
Came across this article:
Qualitative and quantitative compositions of fluids for electronic cigarettes - Springer
Pharmaceutical Chemistry Journal, Vol. 46, No. 11, February, 2013 (Russian Original Vol. 46, No. 11, November, 2012)

Mainly reported their NMR data (which I'm only very slightly knowledgeable of) and seemed to quickly skim over the MS data, which I'm more familiar with.

What struck me most though was:

Jeez, can we guess where these researchers interests lie?

Looks like this was a Russian study, from this "Pharmaceutical Chemistry Journal, Vol. 46, No. 11, February, 2013 (Russian Original Vol. 46, No. 11, November, 2012)"

I believe the Russians banned e cigs. They must need the taxes as well to support the oligarchs.

Kurt

Quantum Vapyre
ECF Veteran
Sep 16, 2009
Philadelphia
I am not sure of the purpose of the paper, other than to say they used NMR to quantify common juice components. The fact that it was published in a rather low-end Russian journal tells me that if they submitted the paper to higher-level journals it was rejected, as in "Ok, so what?" They make a statement that PG and VG can inhibit the efficacy of some tuberculosis drugs, and then state the juice they looked at had these, smacks of bias. Frankly, there is no new science in this paper, and it looks like it was mostly written by a student. Poorly presented, and the conclusions were mainly statement of known chemical signal values.

Using NMR to evaluate most flavored juices would be folly. Way too many overlapping signal peaks in similar regions. If they are trying to develop an assay, this is not the spectroscopy to use, and its already been done extensively and accurately with other methods. really, I found nothing of import here.

jamie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 3, 2008
USA
I really do wish that the FDA would analyze the vapor from ecigs and publish unbiased assessments of the results. <snip> Don't you think they've done more unpublished testing and reserved the results until a decision is made about ecigs?
As I understand, the FDA generally reviews testing that is submitted by manufacturers. So they wouldn't be analyzing vapor or performing unpublished tests (if that's what you meant).

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
As I understand, the FDA generally reviews testing that is submitted by manufacturers. So they wouldn't be analyzing vapor or performing unpublished tests (if that's what you meant).

The FDA is surprisingly quiet after the 2009 dockside seizure of juices and vaping hardware. They did run up a test of Smoking Everywhere samples after the 2009 seizure and published the results showing the same level of carcinogens as a Nicotrol inhaler or a nicotine lozenge, both available by prescription. One sample from Ruyaun contained traces of diethylene glycol that was supposed to exist because of a contaminated drum at the factory or a leaking drum that contaminated the outside of a good pg drum. Who knows where that came from, but it was trace level on the spectrograph, not blatant substitution.

I, like everyone else, want to know what's in my ecig but I'm seeing low level of condemnation from FDA sources without a rush to further testing and that tells me there's not a lot to broadcast in terms of negative information.

Do you know of a link to FDA tests of ecig juices and hardware from manufacturers that is viewable outside the FDA? I'd like to see some results from parallel tests they have performed inside the FDA to confirm outside testing. I'm not sure that just accepting tests submitted by manufacturers would be enough to justify confirmation of the results.

When you search the FDA site for testing results on ecigs, all the articles I've found are linked to the site where the test was published. You need a login and password to read the articles. That's not transparency, IMO.

The link below is from an FDA release with no date. I suspect that it was written in 2009. My search was for 2012. You'd think that the FDA would test and answer the questions they raise about consumers still not knowing what's in them and whether they work. Instead, they choose to condemn ecigs. I guess one test was enough to tell them what they needed to know for disparagement of the industry. Tobacco settlement funding protection anyone?

http://www.fda.gov/newsevents/publichealthfocus/ucm172906.htm

Electronic Cigarettes (e-Cigarettes)

What are electronic cigarettes?

Electronic cigarettes, also known as e-cigarettes, are battery-operated products designed to deliver nicotine, flavor and other chemicals. They turn nicotine, which is highly addictive, and other chemicals into a vapor that is inhaled by the user.

Most e-cigarettes are manufactured to look like conventional cigarettes, cigars, or pipes. Some resemble everyday items such as pens and USB memory sticks.

As the safety and efficacy of e-cigarettes have not been fully studied, consumers of e-cigarette products currently have no way of knowing:

whether e-cigarettes are safe for their intended use,
how much nicotine or other potentially harmful chemicals are being inhaled during use, or
if there are any benefits associated with using these products.

Additionally, it is not known if e-cigarettes may lead young people to try other tobacco products, including conventional cigarettes, which are known to cause disease and lead to premature death.

Last edited:

jamie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 3, 2008
USA
DaveP, yes, true about the 2009 testing. It was a surprise at the time as it's not generally how they do things. They aren't a research facility per se.

Regarding a link to FDA tests, it sounds like you mean additional tests and I'm not aware of others. This is the link I kept on details of the SE cartridge tests, sounds like you've probably seen same already: The FDA did a lab study...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread