Nicotine Test Results

Status
Not open for further replies.

Olef

ECF Veteran
Apr 22, 2011
UK
Sorry for the loooong post but I thought I should keep everyone up to date in case it helps.

I was one of the original members to report a problem with Box Elder nic. The two half litre bottles of 48mg I bought back in June tasted bad to me, they have an earthy flavour which swamps any added flavour. After making up a mix of my normal flavours, using all my normal open bottles of ingredients which I knew were OK, I vaped this liquid for approximately half a day before suffering a bout of severe diarrhoea. I stopped vaping the liquid immediately and the problem disappeared. Please note I cannot say with any certainty that the two are related and I was not inclined to repeat the test, but in my mind the two were related.

Following the thread it became apparent that there were some batches of nic from Box Elder out there that may be stronger than labelled. I wondered then if my batch was one of these and that was the reason for the illness but I had no way of testing at that stage.

Originally I emailed Box Elder with my concerns and received no reply for a week. Suddenly, once I had posted in the thread about my problem I received a response for Joe at Box Elder stating he had been away hunting for a week hence the lack of response. He assured me that my liquid would not be over strength but happily accepted it was no use if it tasted bad and offered to send me a replacement without asking for the original to be returned (I am grateful for this as I live in the UK).

Although it took almost a month to reach me I did indeed receive one litre of 48mg marked nic in PG as replacement.

Imagine my disappointment when again I mixed up a test batch using again only my open bottles of in use ingredients and again got the earthy taste of the original batch. I then made up a batch without any flavour at all and tried it. The earthy flavour was still there but less prominent and the mix was vapable even though it tasted like flavour had been added when non had. It was a mix of the BE nic, PG and VG and that is all.

So, where to now? I still did not know if the original was over strength or was bad and the replacement was the same, or if Box Elder nic just tastes like that and I never had a problem in the first place. So I decided to get hold of one of the home test kits. I know the margin for error is quite wide with these, nevertheless I am confident in my ability to work cleanly with chemicals and measure accurately so I believe the test would be worthwhile as an indication at least.

I purchased said test kit, as an overseas user the shipping would be prohibitive if the measuring cylinder was included so I got the pipette, the stirring rod, and two bottles of the .12n sulphuric and two bottles of blue all for $30 shipped. They got to me in just five days, excellent!

So this morning I sat down to do me some testing.

Lacking a measuring cylinder I decided to use a new 10ml clear plastic juice bottle and to use 1ml finely graduated syringes for measuring.

I followed the testing instructions faithfully. Prior to starting, and again before each subsequent test, I washed the bottle, the syringes and the stirring rod first in hot tap water, then rinsed three times in fresh distilled water.

I did three tests, one was with the original supply from Box Elder, the second with the replacement from them, and a final one with a supply from RTS Vapes. All are in PG. Here are my results -

Box Elder 48mg original supply - 32.709 mg/ml
Box Elder 48mg replacment supply - 39.915 mg/ml
RTSVapes 60mg - 47.312 mg/ml

And that brings me right up to date. From my tests I think I can safely conclude that neither of the two batches of Box Elder nic are over strength, and that they certainly vary in strength but apart from that I am not too sure what I can take from these and would appreciate your comments and analysis of my methods and results. I have to admit to being quite disappointed that despite taking every care in the tests the results are so far adrift from the expected values. I was expecting the Box Elder nic to be out but certainly wasn't expecting the RTS stuff to come in as it did, and that leads me to question these results myself. Nevertheless I took every care, I used pure distilled water, I rinsed everything faithfully at first and between tests and I took care to measure everything to the limit of my syringes marked in .001 ml.

The only other things I can think of to add that may be relevant is that I used four drops of the blue in every test (as the instructions say to do if the nic is over 40mg which I expected all to be) and the distilled water I am using is de-ionised water obtained from the local car accessory chain.

Congrats for reading all this :) and thanks for any insight you can offer.

Last edited:

AddyTude

Sep 28, 2011
Florida
Hi Olef...did you send some nic or talk to Kurt?
I think I saw he mentioned somewhere that there could be a variance in results up to +/- 10 mg...
(I am not positive if I am reporting the variance range as it was posted).

By chance, can you re-test with the supplies you have? Just to see if you get similar results? Also, I couldn't tell whether you tested mixed nic (with flavor) or straight from bottle. I know it was mentioned some flavorings could also interfere with results.

Also...i am no expert, or in any way adept at chemistry....just offering the little info I remember.

Olef

ECF Veteran
Apr 22, 2011
UK
Thanks Addy, all samples were unflavoured straight from the vendor. I will run the tests again, I am a little supicious of the de-ionised water I have... I will try to get some actual distilled water from somewhere. That may account for the low readings, I don't know. Suprised no one else has been able to offer any insight :(

Str8V8ping

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 10, 2011
NYC
Thanks Addy, all samples were unflavoured straight from the vendor. I will run the tests again, I am a little supicious of the de-ionised water I have... I will try to get some actual distilled water from somewhere. That may account for the low readings, I don't know. Suprised no one else has been able to offer any insight :(

ANy supermarket sells distilled water . It comes in those gallon milk containers made by poland springs and its under a dollar .

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
I may have missed something in your post, but the most I have ever vaped is pre-mixed 24mg juice. Did you vape full strength at those levels after adding flavorings? Those would knock me off my chair at 39mg/ml and 47mg/ml! Gastric effects are commonly reported at higher levels by new users, but your post count would indicate you aren't new at vaping.

Those mixes sound like ear ringers!

Olef

ECF Veteran
Apr 22, 2011
UK
I may have missed something in your post, but the most I have ever vaped is pre-mixed 24mg juice. Did you vape full strength at those levels after adding flavorings? Those would knock me off my chair at 39mg/ml and 47mg/ml! Gastric effects are commonly reported at higher levels by new users, but your post count would indicate you aren't new at vaping.

Those mixes sound like ear ringers!

Lol you are right, they would put me on my back too! I buy 48 or 60 mg liquid and dilute it down in my diy mixes :)

Traver

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 28, 2010
WV
Just a few thoughts mainly to keep this thread going.

The results of this kind of home testing are dubious at best. To get any kind of reliable results within the range of your test kit you would need at least three tests of each liquid.
Even then I wouldn't consider it reliable without a known standard in the range of the test kit to test against.

mjradik

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 8, 2011
Columbia, MD
@olef. Sorry, I must have missed this thread. I do know the test is accurate to 2-4mg (usually on the low side) So the 32/39 can really be 36/43. However the results are suprising since it tested low and not super high. I have gotten feed back from the home test kit and BE NIC. Most NIC was within range, though there have been a few that tested 170% of expected strength.

Did you try the 'Alternate Instructions' from the web site? Its designed to use without the cylinder. Do the test that way, but use 2ml of NIC, and multiply the final amount of acid you used by 9.375. (Not 19.47 because you are using double the amount of NIC) This method will use more NIC/Acid, but margin of error is about 1mg. Much more accurate.

A video of this new alternate method is comming real soon.

kinabaloo

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
@olef. Sorry, I must have missed this thread. I do know the test is accurate to 2-4mg (usually on the low side) So the 32/39 can really be 36/43. However the results are suprising since it tested low and not super high. I have gotten feed back from the home test kit and BE NIC. Most NIC was within range, though there have been a few that tested 170% of expected strength.

Did you try the 'Alternate Instructions' from the web site? Its designed to use without the cylinder. Do the test that way, but use 2ml of NIC, and multiply the final amount of acid you used by 9.375. (Not 19.47 because you are using double the amount of NIC) This method will use more NIC/Acid, but margin of error is about 1mg. Much more accurate.

A video of this new alternate method is comming real soon.

Look forward to the new video :)

Any thoughts on deionized water. It's not as pure as distilled; although distilled could have some volatile organics in it. De-ionised should be free of ions and therefore anything that might affect the pH / titration.

Then again, distillation is pretty much fool-proof, whereas deionisation depends on special filters that do wear out; so some ions may remain. So I'd say distilled would be much the better choice. And if the erroneous results mentioned above are due to this, then distilled is surely a must.

mjradik

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 8, 2011
Columbia, MD
Any thoughts on deionized water. It's not as pure as distilled; although distilled could have some volatile organics in it. De-ionised should be free of ions and therefore anything that might affect the pH / titration.

Don't quote me on this, but I'm sure the only factor here with water is was that has a PH of EXACTLY 7.0 i.e. nuteral. Tab water and well water can varry, thats why it should not be used. But I have an aquairum, and a PH test kit. My tap water has a PH of 7.2. I added a drop of acid to a sample of my tap water, (did this a few times) and tested it to 7.0. I took that same ratio, to make my tap water 7.0, and did the test that way, and my results were the same as with distilled water.

Food for thought.

kinabaloo

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Don't quote me on this, but I'm sure the only factor here with water is was that has a PH of EXACTLY 7.0 i.e. nuteral. Tab water and well water can varry, thats why it should not be used. But I have an aquairum, and a PH test kit. My tap water has a PH of 7.2. I added a drop of acid to a sample of my tap water, (did this a few times) and tested it to 7.0. I took that same ratio, to make my tap water 7.0, and did the test that way, and my results were the same as with distilled water.

Food for thought.

Agreed, it only the pH that matters; but most people can't adjust for that so need to use distilled water.

If you had used the straight tap water with a pH of 7.2, how much would that affect the result? Over (more nic than really there) by quite a bit I think (20-30% ? Or less?)

Pretty sure it can be calculated; but really tired ...

Last edited:

mjradik

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 8, 2011
Columbia, MD
Agreed, it only the pH that matters; but most people can't adjust for that so need to use distilled water.

If you had used the straight tap water with a pH of 7.2, how much would that affect the result? Over (more nic than really there) by quite a bit I think (20-30% ? Or less?)

Pretty sure it can be calculated; but really tired ...

That all depends on the amount of water you are using. If you are using the graduated cylinder methoer and only using about 2mls of water, I don't think it would effect it that much. Maybe 1 mg. Because the acid has a ph of 1.2 I think, and 1 drop of that will lower the ph of the 2ml water well below 7.0 easily. Now if you are using the syringe/cup method, and using 10-20mls of water, it will throw it off alot. it will take several drops of acid to recude the ph of the water.... hmmm... I see a science experiment comming up, lol...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread